Author Topic: You should read this  (Read 22896 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Seems like a non-idea to me at first glance.

You can already fork all the new source codes (incl. Bitcoin), like NXT and get a share in the fork for nearly free except the way they do it now is better!!

They announce it on the Bitcointalk forum and make a new community who might be interested, active in challenging the original (Eg. NEM) This is far better than randomly airdropping the free clone to all Bitcoin users.

(Even a new source will have attracted investment and a community during it's construction phase so will have an actual marketing & development budget and viral marketers that a fresh clone can't compete with. It can also create add on services & features a clone doesn't have access too.)

The only situation I was worried about was if a vulture had a great marketing team and industry contacts related to the project they can create clones that can challenge the original. (Which is why I highlight marketing in 'things I'm most worried about' ) But just airdropping to existing Bitcoin holders Pfft. (I guess if it did become an issue, the developers the new community trusts, could in the beginning make some stuff closed source till adoption reaches X market size?)

Offline svk

It's an interesting idea, I'm actually surprised noone's already done something like this. The idea is basically to treat Bitcoin as Protoshares and then Æthereum really becomes Bitcoin 2.0 with a ready to go userbase.

I find this much more attractive than the current Ethereum distribution plan, and since they're piggy-backing on Ethereum development they won't have that much need for dev funds. The question then becomes: will Ethereum stay open source and allow their hard work to get coopted?

Also surprising to see Vitalik helping explain how to implement the wallet procedure :)

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Overthetop

Open source projects maybe got killed by themselves becuase of unavoidable free forking

Let's think about it!

:(
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
That way you cannot fund your development as i3 is doing!

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563925.0

Basically the idea is to fork Ethereum and distribute it to BTC owners.

This is the same idea why I3 explain 3rd party dev should honor AGS/PTS: to maximize the user base. And if they don't want to, we fork it and do it anyway.

But BTC holders >>>> PTS/AGS holders. So basically I3 will loose that game.

Peter R's idea is genius. That will change the crypto landscape forever. Note that BTSX and any DAC that I3 will produce can be forked and be distributed to BTC holders. If I3 was right about user base = value, then that idea is a game changer for every body.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:37:55 pm by BldSwtTrs »