Author Topic: MirrorChain--to solve the security threat during the new DACs distribution  (Read 9046 times)

Offline monsterer

I don't think everyone would wish to release the source to their DACs.

They might as well, since the DAC will run on anyone's machine it will just get disassembled anyway if there's no source.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Any way to implement these directly into the toolkit? Any thoughts on when this ideas might be able to be looked at?

Offline Overthetop

It seems DPOS really works, maybe it is time to think about security issues.

:)
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline sfinder

• 4 Cores CPU+100GB SSD+anti-DDoS Pro
    • View Profile
Might be possible to have the PTS client sign the first transaction to release funds from the genesis block.

Steps:
1: Enter public key into new DAC client
2: New DAC client creates unsigned transaction
3: PTS/Trusted client signs transaction
4: Signed transaction posted into new DAC client

Can I apply the same steps to btc wallet which been used for AGS donation? 
微博:星在飘我在找|BTS X 受托人delegate ID:baidu
中国教育书店合作将20%收入捐献给贫困山区学生。
Cooperating with China Education Bookstore and will donate 20% of delegate income to the poor students

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Only thing that hurdles me is that the user needs to create 3 files. Much like signing offline txs with bitcoin using Armory :-)
But ... secure!

Yes, very similar.

Also the process could alternately be handled on a webpage similar to brainwallet so that no software need be installed -

Steps:

1. Enter public key(s) / upload file of public keys to web form
2. Generate unsigned transaction
3. copy/paste unsigned transaction into trusted client (eg PTS client)
4. copy/paste signed transaction back into web form

+5% | interesting discussion
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@crazybit: thats the whole idea of freetrades proposal a few post earlierer

Offline crazybit

Inspired by logxing's proposal, i come up with an idea which may completely solve this potential security issue.  if we could use the signature which sign on the specified text(e.g the donation address) with private key, to claim the corresponding shares in different DACs,then we would not worry about private key stolen,as we do NOT need to expose our private key and use different signature to claim the shares in different DAC. e.g signature to claim the XTS shares =sign(“XTS”+Pts/BTC donation address, PrivateKey), signature to claim the DNS shares =sign(“DNS”+Pts/BTC donation address, PrivateKey)

my idea, please discuss if it is feasible.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4732.msg62135#msg62135

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Only thing that hurdles me is that the user needs to create 3 files. Much like signing offline txs with bitcoin using Armory :-)
But ... secure!

Yes, very similar.

Also the process could alternately be handled on a webpage similar to brainwallet so that no software need be installed -

Steps:

I think this is a good problem to solve with the toolkit.  The toolkit could have an associated standalone trusted tool that reads a new DAC's genesis block and the wallet generated for that DAC, then imports all snapshot wallets and creates signed transactions to move your stake to your new wallet.

Offline Overthetop

But ... secure!

Yes, very similar.

Steps:

It is great!
 +5%

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
But ... secure!

Yes, very similar.

Steps:

“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Steps:
That sounds VERY nice! Also PTS wallet should already be installed by most investors!

+5% for this approach!!!
So basically to make things easy for the user we should go like

1.) PTS-wallet: store Pubkeys in a file
2.) DAC-wallet: import Pubkeys from file
3.) DAC-wallet: create transaction(s) to redeem genesis transaction(s) (who exactly? send everything to a single new address or go for a splitting into pieces?)
3.) DAC-wallet: write raw transaction(s) into file
4.) PTS-wallet: Load the file and sign the tx(s)
5.) PTS-wallet: store signed tx(s) into file (third file for those who didn't count :-) )
6.) DAC-wallet: load signed tx(s) from file
7.) DAC-wallet: broadcast tx(s)

But ... secure!

Offline Overthetop

Maybe we can use some ellyptic curve magic to solve the issue ... much like what TITAN does?

I think the way we can get around this is to have a separate 'trusted' process that can sign arbitrary data for a new chain.  This process would report to the new DAC all of the addresses it can sign for.

This way the new DAC never sees your private key, but can still use it for signing transactions *FOR THAT DAC ONLY*. 

Yes , I think  that way makes sense.  :)

It  is called a "Firewall" .

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Steps:
That sounds VERY nice! Also PTS wallet should already be installed by most investors!

+5% for this approach!!!

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Might be possible to have the PTS client sign the first transaction to release funds from the genesis block.

Steps:
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Maybe we can use some ellyptic curve magic to solve the issue ... much like what TITAN does?
The problem is that without the actual public key of the account holder you cannot do any operation other than signature verification and that requires the private key. 

If we had the public key for every address in the snapshot then it would be possible to separate out the tool that imports the private keys for each chain from the chain itself. 

I think the way we can get around this is to have a separate 'trusted' process that can sign arbitrary data for a new chain.  This process would report to the new DAC all of the addresses it can sign for.

This way the new DAC never sees your private key, but can still use it for signing transactions *FOR THAT DAC ONLY*. 
I dont understand much of the ECC magic but couldn't we go for a hybrid, such that if the pubkeys is known we can do ECC magic .. if not the owner needs to work on the actual privkey ..

we could then update the pubkeys for new DACS on a regular bases using most recent blockchain (assuming no one really can break ripmed150(sha256(pubkey)))

Just asking