Author Topic: What is the Counter For?  (Read 9288 times)

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
I'm just trying to understand why this isn't being blown up like the fourth of july. It is easy to see in the markets that people truly don't understand what will happen. The alternative is that they do understand but, nobody believes in bitshares. It is hard for me to believe that nobody believes in bitshares due to the sheer knowledge/expertise that the developers bring. So, my guess is that they don't understand and/or don't know. I then have to wonder why that is.

Were there radio shows, news articles online, news paper articles, ect..?  EDIT for English: If these things didn't happen then there was a lack of marketing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:47:57 pm by wesphily »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
It is to late now but it would be better except the count down counter on the home page
to hear at the same time a speaker that makes the count down  :P

something like this:
http://youtu.be/zRGeLQkWuYk

PS maybe then, they would notice...  :)

Offline friendsofbitshares

• View Profile
The countdown is to the end of AGS donations, not to a snapshot.

So for which DAC is the "snapshot"? For every future DAC that honors AGS.

Some in the pipeline include the DNS DAC, the lotto DAC, the voting DAC.

Yup. So AGS donars are banking on people not understanding this so that they get the best bang for their buck on ags and, their pts holdings increase when people find out it is too late for ags. (directly or indirectly)

EDIT: Makes better sense why people wouldn't want to blast out hard about the end of ags.

We've been blastin' out hard for the final 2 weeks.  Everyone who has been longer had as much time as they needed to donate at the best rates.

Hmmmm. I would expect to see more active posts about something this important. I would expect to be able to google "Bitshares End of AGS" and return hits from all crypto websites. Of course, I fail at google so it is entirely possible that it is all there and I am just missing it.

This is me with a custom mixtape about Bitshares just the other day.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Yup. So AGS donars are banking on people not understanding this so that they get the best bang for their buck on ags and, their pts holdings increase when people find out it is too late for ags. (directly or indirectly)

EDIT: Makes better sense why people wouldn't want to blast out hard about the end of ags.

The counter on the front page of the forum says "till the last day of AGS donations." That is completely literal. When the counter hits zero, AGS is closed forever.

Sorry that you felt we weren't spelling it out to you clearly enough; it just didn't occur to us that "the last day of AGS donations" wouldn't make sense to you, so we went round and round trying to help you understand how AGS worked.

Also, you seem to think that we're being hush-hush about donations ending. That's not true at all! It's just classic Bitshares lack-of-effective-marketing.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline wesphily

• View Profile

We've been blastin' out hard for the final 2 weeks.  Everyone who has been longer had as much time as they needed to donate at the best rates.

Hmmmm. I would expect to see more active posts about something this important. I would expect to be able to google "Bitshares End of AGS" and return hits from all crypto websites. Of course, I fail at google so it is entirely possible that it is all there and I am just missing it.

Offline friendsofbitshares

• View Profile

Offline wesphily

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
In a roundabout way you guys answer my question. Basically, we don't know what the ags snapshot is for except that it is for a DAC. What DAC? Nobody knows for sure yet?

Would it be safe to summize that ags is the risky and more rewarding path. (risky because it isn't liquid and you have no idea what you will really get back except for some share of a dac that doesn't exist yet.) PTS is the safer less rewarding path? (safer because you can gtfo if you want to.)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
"This is your last chance!"

No it is not! You can still buy BitShares-PTS and leave them in your wallet!
Ok you will get 1/3 of future DACS compared with donating for AGS right now, but I am quite sure, because it will be the only chance to participate in future DACs after donation's end's, the price will rise the next days and week's...;) (+ they are liquid! + DPOS very soon?)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:13:54 pm by liondani »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

I have been checking the donations nearly everyday since I discovered bitshares around March 2nd...this feels like a monumentally important week to get information out there for donations. "This is your last chance!"

Reminds me of a classic quote:

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it."

-- Lord Scrumptious, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, 1968

:)

Seriously, this forum and bitshares.org are full of information, some dating to last Christmas:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:13:36 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
Not sure how that link is supposed to help. It identifies that it is for ags donations and, when it ends. Does not easily identify what it is for. Maybe that is because we don't really know what it is for? I'm sure it will be good but, it is hard to tell.

Offline gyhy

• View Profile

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
That's kinda why I was asking. I don't think anybody trully knows what this snapshot is for. Also, it sounds like this is the last snapshot? I wouldn't say I'm hardcore on knowing everything about bitshares but, I definitely try to read first. If I was unable to arrive at a clear answer then I'm sure others are not able to as well which is why the donations are low. Maybe that is on purpose? People who do understand don't want return to decrease due to high number of donators?

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
Once Day 200 arrives this week, the state of the donation chains on that day will be used for all other DACs.  So we are counting down to the mega default Snapshot at the End of Time...

The Mayan's can't touch this!

As far as AGS donors are concerned, Day 200 might as well be...

The Snapshot at The End of Time

for every remaining BitShares DAC that will ever be released.   Since nothing about AGS will change after that.  Day 200 is the terminal AGS snapshot - regardless of when subsequent DAC PTS snapshots may be announced.

I have been checking the donations nearly everyday since I discovered bitshares around March 2nd...this feels like a monumentally important week to get information out there for donations. "This is your last chance!"