Author Topic: Hey, BTSX delegates, come here.  (Read 19097 times)

Offline Riverhead

Thanks for the tip.  riverhead-del-server-1 is now running an ntpd service.

Code: [Select]
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
+50.7.96.4       128.138.141.172  2 u   33   64  377   75.048    6.593   2.308
*x.ns.gin.ntt.ne 192.5.41.40      2 u   28  128  377   11.677    6.670   3.338
-va-time.techpro 129.6.15.28      2 u   18  128  377   29.549    6.661   4.147
-lttlesis.deekay 128.118.25.12    2 u   34   64  377   30.683   -0.023   2.406
+juniperberry.ca 193.79.237.14    2 u   42   64  377   81.521    3.871   2.377
riverhead@riverhead1:~$

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
As I found yesterday the most important things for delegate it's to have time synchronized with reliable worldwide ntp, if time of delegate different too much - 99% that delegate will miss the block. Time synchronization become even more important in VM environment, if your delegate works as VM.
Hug? I thought there is basic NTP implemented in the toolkit ..

Anyway .. running a NTP daemon has lots of benefits besides bitshares

Offline testz

Here is a very nice guide about how to start as delegate.
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/wiki/DPOS-Registering-Names-And-Delegates

Don't hurry to be a delegate, have a look at the guides first, it will help you a lot.

First rule: do not run delegate in the GUI and then vote for your self.
Second rule: find and vote in good guys, never approval for those delegate with low reliability and don't produce blocks.
Third rule: do you remember to unlock 999999999 for enough long time before go to bed?

I think this important:
4rd rule: don't forget to change network param, in console type:
network_set_advanced_node_parameters {"desired_number_of_connections":50, "maximum_number_of_connections":100}
Update: Another very nice guide https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/wiki/DPOS-initial-delegate-setup

As I found yesterday the most important things for delegate it's to have time synchronized with reliable worldwide ntp, if time of delegate different too much - 99% that delegate will miss the block. Time synchronization become even more important in VM environment, if your delegate works as VM.

Offline 8bit

• View Profile
Hey, I'm registered as a delegate, and if you vote for me, you'll get free horrible art! Check out this thread for more info.

If you're too lazy to click that link and you just want to vote for me, my account name is eightbit, so the command to vote for me is:

wallet_approve_delegate eightbit
As for voting for other people... I was able to get a few votes in, but when I try to vote for happyshares:

wallet_approve_delegate happyshares-1 true
I get the following error:

delegate_record.valid() && delegate_record->is_delegate(): happyshares-1 is not a delegate!
    {"n":"happyshares-1"}
    th_a  client.cpp:1724 wallet_approve_delegate

{"delegate_name":"happyshares-1","approved":true}
    th_a  client.cpp:1727 wallet_approve_delegate

{}
    th_a  common_api_client.cpp:883 wallet_approve_delegate

{"command":"wallet_approve_delegate"}
    th_a  cli.cpp:540 execute_command
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:01:08 am by 8bit »
wallet_approve_delegate eightbitA VOTE FOR EIGHTBIT IS A VOTE FOR CRUDE DICK ART

Offline emailtooaj

so is it not recommended to be a delegate with the gui?
If so how do you do it otherwise? where do you download the BTSX wallet that's not GUI?

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong... but I believe you need to start another, separate wallet on either a VPS, separate computer, virtual OS, etc. And then send funds from your "real" wallet to the new wallet you plan to run as a delegate. Whatever name you give the new wallet you'll vote for it via your "real" wallet.
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline sfinder

• 4 Cores CPU+100GB SSD+anti-DDoS Pro
    • View Profile

Please vote for chinese

BTS X  delegate ID:chinese

Why vote for "chinese"?

1) I am cooperating with China Education Bookstore and will donate 20% of income to the poor students in China.  Donation details will be posted for public review.

2)I will destroy 20% of the fees and  my pay rate is 80%. It is my way to pay dividends to all the bitshares holders.

vote for "chinese"
wallet_approve_delegate chinese true

my delegate's server: professional hosted 4Cores CPU + 4GB RAM + 100GB SSD + anti-DDoS +  guaranteed 500Mbps bandwidth
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:10:26 am by sfinder »
微博:星在飘我在找|BTS X 受托人delegate ID:baidu
中国教育书店合作将20%收入捐献给贫困山区学生。
Cooperating with China Education Bookstore and will donate 20% of delegate income to the poor students

Offline Riverhead

I think bytemater already have a design of delegate p2p networks, for the delegates to directly connect to each other directly, only the delegate with the signature of active delegates can join this network.  That will make the DPOS more powerful.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong but wouldn't that get us closer to a centralized cabal of delegates?

Not any more than DPOS as designed now... DPOS does not prevent delegates from making direct connections to each other outside the main network

I was thinking about this bit "only the delegate with the signature of active delegates can join this network"

Offline JakeThePanda

• View Profile
What do I need to do as a delegate?  I registered "jakethepanda" as a delegate.  I'm willing to learn/buy whatever I need to become a trusted delegate. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:35:06 am by JakeThePanda »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

I think bytemater already have a design of delegate p2p networks, for the delegates to directly connect to each other directly, only the delegate with the signature of active delegates can join this network.  That will make the DPOS more powerful.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong but wouldn't that get us closer to a centralized cabal of delegates?

Not any more than DPOS as designed now... DPOS does not prevent delegates from making direct connections to each other outside the main network
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
I was thinking about why not run several (Seed) nodes and use them as proxies for the delebates .. then only those know the ips of the delegates while delegates are connected to high reliable nodes .. network can use those as seed nodes .. win-win-win .. except for the costs

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • GitHub: xeroc
I was thinking about why not run several (Seed) nodes and use them as proxies for the delebates .. then only those know the ips of the delegates while delegates are connected to high reliable nodes .. network can use those as seed nodes .. win-win-win .. except for the costs

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
Hey, delegates, we should directly connected to each other closer to reduce yours delegate latency or prevent from being in a short fork, which might cause missing blocks.

So, if you trust me(actually, you do not need to if you have high security protect), PM me with your ip and delegate node peer info which can query by

network_get_info, I will probably tell and add it to the delegate bitsuperlab node whose reliability is higher than 96%, or even more other delegates or seed node I know and trust.

network_add_node
A tip, the entities with more than one delegates, you should connect your delegate directly to each other by network_add_node, especially connect to  most reliable one.

Let's make the network more healthy together
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:00:11 pm by HackFisher »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH