Author Topic: Ethereum & BitShares Partnership?  (Read 58982 times)

Offline Riverhead

So far the response from the Ethereum community has been very negative.  I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since it's the "one chain to rule them all" fan club but it's still disheartening to see such vocal closed mindedness.

I'm thrilled to see Vitalik and Dan have a good professional relationship and am looking forward to hearing more about the challenges faced by both parties in developing these ecosystems.

Reminds me of something I read once about (I think) .Net, "This will be open platform once everyone is running Windows" :) .

To be fair given the large amount of effort, time, and planning a project of this scope requires I can understand them being a little defensive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:30:39 pm by Riverhead »

Offline yellowecho

So far the response from the Ethereum community has been very negative.  I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since it's the "one chain to rule them all" fan club but it's still disheartening to see such vocal closed mindedness.

I'm thrilled to see Vitalik and Dan have a good professional relationship and am looking forward to hearing more about the challenges faced by both parties in developing these ecosystems.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Thanks for the very interesting conversations and day together bitshares team. It was definitely very useful in our thinking on native extensibility strategies; I was glad to see how similar some of our thoughts and some of our problems have been...

Welcome Vitalik, great to see you join here on forum!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It's like the crypto version of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs hanging out :).
LOL!

Offline Riverhead

It's like the crypto version of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs hanging out :).

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
anyone can release a version of ethereum N.0 for N>1 by making their own additions and giving 0.26x minus mining fees since N-1.0 to their own communities as they deem fit, and if the community deems any implementation technically bad or unfair they can reject it and keep building on the previous instead kinda like a blockchain".
Welcome Vitalik!  :)
Would you mind to expand on this and say it in more simple words?

Pretty sure he is saying ethereum could be forked or cloned at some point when there is a divergence in community consensus over something like this.

It will be open source, so the success of ethereum (and any fork/clone) can attempt to exist on its own.  I giess this is very similar to what the sharedrop principle provides for altcoins...where
Altcoins build their own "DACs" to and honor their holders' stakes in their coin as a means of competing with bitcoin. They are all clones of bitcoin essentially and thus must distinguish themselves from the "main" project.  Pretty sure if vitalik built a version of ethereum with the cost aavi gs of DPOS (or something like it), he'd get a large portion of the community's backing.
It was just the numbers which I didnt get....

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

This is the obvious reason why the market cap of Bitshares is launching like a rocket.

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com
+5%  +5%  That sounds great! Thanks for letting us know!

I guess Vitalik must be happy for us to share that info? - That Vitalik/Ethereum is strongly considering DPOS?
+5%, +5%, +5%, +5%, +5%

Fantastic Dan!!  The way you do things like this, co-operate without fear or reservation, is why I am betting so heavily on you!  Vitalic may be as smart (but I doubt it), but he doesn't have the age and broader perspective as Dan.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Brent Allsop

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I giess this is very similar to what the sharedrop principle provides for altcoins...where
Altcoins build their own "DACs" to and honor their holders' stakes in their coin as a means of competing with bitcoin. They are all clones of bitcoin essentially and thus must distinguish themselves from the "main" project.  Pretty sure if vitalik built a version of ethereum with the cost aavi gs of DPOS (or something like it), he'd get a large portion of the community's backing.

+5% +5% +5%

EXACTLY!

this quote from BM fits here, isn't it?

Whether or not Eth. implements DPOS you can bet that V. and I will probably keep pushing the technology forward for future chains.

Offline fuzzy

The main objection and concern I have for Proof-Of-Stake, is that it disallows mining.
It is impossible to mine NXT coin, for example,  if you don't own any.
This blocks the community from growth.

do you mine bitcoin?

There is a plan to allow people to mine Bitshares. You can virtually mine PoS so even miners have it better with PoS because with virtual mining you can actually mine stuff which is beneficial for society.

You can mine BOINC and earn Bitshares if we set it up. This way you could search for aliens or fold protein while you earn Bitshares. The way virtual mining works is you do some computation and then it sells that computation to buy Bitshares.

That computation does not have to be Proof of Work, it's not restricted to cryptocurrency.

And here is an example: http://www.foldingcoin.net/

I would much rather use my computing power to fold protein than to do some pointless SHA-256 hashing.

How did I overlook this post?  As always, luckybit, astounding idea.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:48:00 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline yellowecho

Here's a Reddit thread asking questions about DPOS:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2dr64v/explanation_for_delegated_proof_of_stake/

Might be a good one to upvote and add content!

Offline fuzzy

anyone can release a version of ethereum N.0 for N>1 by making their own additions and giving 0.26x minus mining fees since N-1.0 to their own communities as they deem fit, and if the community deems any implementation technically bad or unfair they can reject it and keep building on the previous instead kinda like a blockchain".

Pretty sure he is saying ethereum could be forked or cloned at some point when there is a divergence in community consensus over something like this.

It will be open source, so the success of ethereum (and any fork/clone) can attempt to exist on its own.  I giess this is very similar to what the sharedrop principle provides for altcoins...where
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Great to see you on the board, V!! 
Unfortunately, it seems you do only speak for yourself... Gav seems to indirectly opposed the Bitshares approach as mentioned in his recent blog post (emphasis mine):  http://insightsintoamodernworld.blogspot.de/2014/08/ethereum-collaborations.html
Gavin also has an ether stake which he can sell later.
Noting wrong about a profit motive imo though for a few reasons. One is: (Especially as a entrepreneur) making a living and making a profit is hard to distinguish. 
If you want to reduce it to the motive itself (apart from making money or not) this is something that no one knows but you yourself and maybe even only your subconscious part knows.The only legitimate way to claim that you don't have a MOTIVE to profit is to donate everything but what you need to keep your living standard (assuming you could have found work which is as profitable as before).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:09:09 pm by delulo »

Offline yellowecho

That's great, now you need to talk to the person actually in charge of Ethereum- Dr. Wood.

Gav isn't "actually in charge" more so than myself, but any major protocol change does indeed require consensus among myself, Gav and Jeff and of course the community. I only speak for myself.

Great to see you on the board, V!! 
Unfortunately, it seems you do only speak for yourself... Gav seems to indirectly opposed the Bitshares approach as mentioned in his recent blog post (emphasis mine):  http://insightsintoamodernworld.blogspot.de/2014/08/ethereum-collaborations.html

With Ethereum being not just an open-source project but actually openly developed, we welcome help from all projects. That said, we fundamentally reject any notion of a special arrangement with any other projects, especially those with profit motives.

No partnership nor any sort of special conferencing is happening with any members of any other projects. We are quite capable of judging technologies on their intrinsic merits. Any communication that happens happens, we would hope, for the benefit of the entire community in the true spirit of enlightened discourse.