Author Topic: "What Is BitShares?" infographic -- your input is appreciated.  (Read 25808 times)

Offline bytemaster

I think 10% should be changed to 5%... to stick with our meme...

I also think it needs a * + "actual yield may vary"

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline robrigo

I am not sure if the "10% or more" statement is good for us .. may be an overestimate

Fixed. How does that sound? It's the best I can come up with while being sparse.

I think your new wording is a good compromise without making any definitive promise. Well done!

Also I think it would look good if you could work in the actual brand logo at the top somehow, like "What is " + <Insert actual BTSX logo you see when you load the wallet". This could help to establish brand identity. It might not look right without tweaking your fonts though.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I am not sure if the "10% or more" statement is good for us .. may be an overestimate

Fixed. How does that sound? It's the best I can come up with while being sparse.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I like the plain style but I dont like the blue color of the font at the bottom and top. that really looks cheap.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I've decided I'm going to remove the 0% trading fees and replace it with 10% interest. I will clarify exactly where the interest comes from so it won't sound too good to be true. Thoughts?

EDIT: Anyone know what the official BitShares font is? The one in the logo?

+5% ....................only please make sure there are some solid projections to support the 10% number.   As I recall, the "10%" figure is simply coming from a quick calculation done by BM who stated that bitUSD earned $1,800 for each of the first two weeks of operation.   I think whatever the interest rate is, it needs to be based on a more extensive calculation (forecast) since these are extraordinary (but true) numbers we are stating.

It's very difficult to convey that in a short sound bite though...

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I've decided I'm going to remove the 0% trading fees and replace it with 10% interest. I will clarify exactly where the interest comes from so it won't sound too good to be true. Thoughts?

+5%
please don't make it a fixed number .. +10% sounds fishy ..

the logos are maintained by 'cass' .. he can tell you the font name

There is no easy way to convey the intricacies of how the interest is generated. Compromises must be made in the interest of a clear marketing message. I explained where the fees come from, so I believe any reasonable person would understand interest could be less than 10% if exchange activity is low.  8)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:52:01 pm by MeTHoDx »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

+5%
please don't make it a fixed number .. +10% sounds fishy ..

the logos are maintained by 'cass' .. he can tell you the font name

Offline James212

• View Profile

+5% ....................only please make sure there are some solid projections to support the 10% number.   As I recall, the "10%" figure is simply coming from a quick calculation done by BM who stated that bitUSD earned $1,800 for each of the first two weeks of operation.   I think whatever the interest rate is, it needs to be based on a more extensive calculation (forecast) since these are extraordinary (but true) numbers we are stating. 
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline James212

• View Profile
Methodx I like your poster 8).

How about a section about how BTSX holders receive dividends instead of 10%/year inflation.

I want to put that in the infographic but can I really claim 10% yield/interest? It'll end up being whatever the exchange takes in as fees, which could be anything.
Right, I would avoid anything that (a) can not be kept for sure or (b) is too good to be true. That always turns on the "Scam" alarm in my head.

If we could have some confidence that BitsharesX would get a close enough proximity to 10% I'd use it, its a great hook.  However, I don't think we have enough history to go that far out on a lim.  Maybe say something like "as much as 10%"  or " at least X% more than transitional legacy banks"  <--- just throwing out ideas.     By the way has anyone at Bitshares done a back of the envelope analysis of what they interest payments could be.  We probably can use that to back up the stated rate.   
BM calculated that it could roughly be 10% p.a.

Maybe it is just that I am not american. Where I live people (incl. me) are super critical if something too good to be true comes around the corner. Most broad claims are made by scams.

In the US everyone believes in endless opportunities without trade ofs for everyone. That is not like that everywhere in the world. IMO such a mind set suits the marketing industry perfectly because ppl feel uplifted if they are on the forefront of society's progress (which is indicated by the degree of novelty and amount of things/technology you own).
Big corporations can get away with polluting the planet (everyone's resources: air, a stable climate, rivers etc.) simply by stating that there will be technical solutions in the future and ppl believe it. 

I have nothing against this culture (as long as it does not harm everyone around the plant), just saying that broad claims are not received everywhere with the same optimism.

God, this has gotten a bit of track but you know where I am coming from ;)

The fact is that Bitshares itself is too good to be true for most people.(even bitcoin).  What the crypto movement is attempting to do is to take the trillions of dollars sucked up by the global banking system in fees, HF trading etc and redistribute that value to the market.  There are huge benefits there.  No way to deny it.    So if the Bitshares "interest" program projects a yield of 10% (this still needs to be verified with some solid calculations), I don't think we would say its less just because 10% sounds extraordinary.  Therefore if the forecast confirms the higher interest rate this is just proves what we here already know..... the DAC business is far more efficiency than a similar legacy company.    With all that said, I do think we should consider using  qualifiers such as "approximately"  "as much as"  "between X% and X%" etc.     Again, lets not make grandiose claims.  Lets get some solid estimates. 
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:58:43 pm by MeTHoDx »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Methodx I like your poster 8).

How about a section about how BTSX holders receive dividends instead of 10%/year inflation.

I want to put that in the infographic but can I really claim 10% yield/interest? It'll end up being whatever the exchange takes in as fees, which could be anything.
Right, I would avoid anything that (a) can not be kept for sure or (b) is too good to be true. That always turns on the "Scam" alarm in my head.

If we could have some confidence that BitsharesX would get a close enough proximity to 10% I'd use it, its a great hook.  However, I don't think we have enough history to go that far out on a lim.  Maybe say something like "as much as 10%"  or " at least X% more than transitional legacy banks"  <--- just throwing out ideas.     By the way has anyone at Bitshares done a back of the envelope analysis of what they interest payments could be.  We probably can use that to back up the stated rate.   
BM calculated that it could roughly be 10% p.a.

Maybe it is just that I am not american. Where I live people (incl. me) are super critical if something too good to be true comes around the corner. Most broad claims are made by scams.

In the US everyone believes in endless opportunities without trade ofs for everyone. That is not like that everywhere in the world. IMO such a mind set suits the marketing industry perfectly because ppl feel uplifted if they are on the forefront of society's progress (which is indicated by the degree of novelty and amount of things/technology you own).
Big corporations can get away with polluting the planet (everyone's resources: air, a stable climate, rivers etc.) simply by stating that there will be technical solutions in the future and ppl believe it. 

I have nothing against this culture (as long as it does not harm everyone around the plant), just saying that broad claims are not received everywhere with the same optimism.

God, this has gotten a bit of track but you know where I am coming from ;)

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
IMHO, where the marketing material will be used does not make my points any less valid.

Your points are valid...working on making the infographic im working on better.  Took advice from some people, we will finish the infographic hopefully tomorrow and start promoting a few days after.

Offline pseudoscops

IMHO, where the marketing material will be used does not make my points any less valid.