Author Topic: losing patience with bitshares x  (Read 7316 times)

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
@shentist:

I understand patriotism very well and it is a positive thing.

But I for one did not follow BTSX via this or other foras - I stumbled over it via the iNet by chance and this is why I say that even if it is an alpha version it was still available to the masses/public.
If it was meant for a closed test group it should have remained as such.

Then you are important sky if you stumbled onto this as have many of us.  Join us band of brothers and help us.

Offline sky

• View Profile
@shentist:

I understand patriotism very well and it is a positive thing.

But I for one did not follow BTSX via this or other foras - I stumbled over it via the iNet by chance and this is why I say that even if it is an alpha version it was still available to the masses/public.
If it was meant for a closed test group it should have remained as such.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
@gamey and others:

You are just confirming that a product should not be released before it is fully ready..

edit: or should a say: you are just underlining my statement that nothing should be released before it is fully ready..

The best thing you can do sky is screenshot your problems and open a thread here.  Seriously, it will help.  Then we will not have those problems anymore and the value of your stack will go up as we will have adoption

Offline onceuponatime

wrong..

even if it is alpha - it is released to the public - hence it is considered official..
..and yes I did read that warning that it is still a work in progress.

Let me remind you that Mercedes (or any other product for that sake) does not distribute 4 wheels and a steering wheel to hope for customers - they wait till it is 100% ready because they know that then they will get customers..
I would agree that this comparison might not be valid - but I think you get the hint :)

I guess you weren't around the forum when there were endless complaints about how long it was taking to get the product out. The nagging was intense.

Because of this, the devs came up with the idea of releasing an MVP (minimum viable product) after many, many test chains seemed to show it would work. And it did, just no bitassets yet - which is a core feature that is now being introduced.

If you find this work in progress intolerable, and it probably is to some user-types, then the best suggestion has already been made. Stay away for a few weeks and then come back with most of the bugs having been attended to so that your user experience will be much smoother.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
wrong..

even if it is alpha - it is released to the public - hence it is considered official..

Let me remind you that Mercedes (or any other product for that sake) does not distribute 4 wheels and a steering wheel to hope for customers - they wait till it is 100% ready because they know that then they will get customers..
I would agree that this comparison might not be valid - but I think you get the hint :)

mercedes? no,no - german cars have no errors  ;)

just compare it with other software projects. i play landmark and in alpha stage it was not really fun, because of crashes etc. but this kind of stuff is needed to find bugs. this is a new code base, this is not a copy cat coin with recyled bitcoin code.

but i can say something nice, because it runs on my machines otherwise......... :o

Offline sky

• View Profile
@gamey and others:

You are just confirming that a product should not be released before it is fully ready..

edit: or should a say: you are just underlining my statement that nothing should be released before it is fully ready..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:01:15 pm by sky »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
wrong..

Like you, I have to reinstall an earlier version.  I will do that but there are some things I do, some things I dont.  I believe that talking on this forum is the most important aspect of my digital waiterness.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
wrong..

Sir Sky.  I understand it was released to the public.  But we can not get our developers distracted.  One thing they need to work on is getting it so it automatically updates when you login (maybe if that is the solution.  But we need a team to bug test before we release so hackers can not come in and fuck all of us.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
THe introduction of the market pegged asset has been a large change to the code base.  We're going to see a lot of bugs.  No one is happy about it.  The devs are working hard.  Software development is a lot harder to do than it sounds.  When you start having so many things interacting, you have an extremely complicated system with a lot of inter-dependencies. 

I do not know this personally, but I suspect all the devs are putting in a lot of hours trying to track down the last bugs.  There are a lot of things to consider when to release software.  Nothing is as easy as it sounds.  We can create a ton of threads complaining, but beyond making their life a little bit more stressful I don't think it'll help anything.  No one is happy about bugs.

Personally I'd like to bug BM or dev's with questions, but I figure they're too busy as is so I try to keep them to a minimum.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline sky

• View Profile
wrong..

Offline JA

• View Profile

you are using alpha software - so bugs are common.

a run 2 windows 7 64it computer and so far all releases worked without bigger problems.

maybe just wait a couple of weeks or month and come back.

this is work in progress
i am using the client on  64 and 32 bit windows 7 pc's -also without problems

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
I started using Bitshares X ver 0.4.10 as a brand new user.
Was positive and curious about this new entry on the market.

Since that date I have had multiple bugs with the client, and nothing has improved.
Constant re-installs, rescans, import of private keys and etc. - and still Transaction scanning progress -100% is popping up.
I have addressed this multiple times in the forum - just a few well-hearted responses - but no real help other than what I have been able to google and lookup in the whitepaper and wiki, which btw sometimes gives contradicting instructions..

I also tried to enter as a delegate - managed to find out how to do it by googling and piece together the commands to do it..
2 of my accounts are registered as Standby and I have tried multiple times to make them able to create blocks - both with the console command and from the account itself with the delegate feature.
Created 2 accounts for delegation - entered both with 100% but they turned out to be 50% and 66% respectively.. Not able to increase this - only decrease apparently?
After entering the command to have them create blocks and after voting for both - none of them shows up in the Standby delegates list..

Forum is not much help, as noone seems to know how to solve these bugs, and the devs does not seem to answer the questions/queries even after many days.

If you guys continue this path you will scare away potential customers and investors.

A new client/currency MUST work when you disclose it to the public, otherwise it is doomed.
I can't say this many times enough:
Wait with release till it is ready - otherwise forget it!
It is not sufficient that a group of devs and insiders knows how to run the client - if the masses, who you depend on, are struggling!

I understand you are losing patience.

Tell us your bugs by showing us screenshots.  Print screen + Paint is the solution.  Printi screen is at the top right hand corner of your screen.  This will help the development your using it and posting screenshots in this General Discussion, with specifically the bug problem.

We have the volume (5x bigger than nxt)  We have the market cap (2x as big but as bigger but we will soon be 10x as big)., and we have the innovation.

BitsharesX is the Financial Atomic Bomb Technology of the 21st century.
Read this https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8072.0
Read it, tell your friends, Be Patient.  Please Sir.

It took time to

From the blog
"BitShares is an industry under development
You have a chance to participate in that development."
 http://bitshares.org/general-warning/

On a side note I played Infantry the game from Sony for a while about 10 years ago.  I had a squad called TDD (The Dirty Dozen).  Sky was the best soldier out of them all.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

you are using alpha software - so bugs are common.

a run 2 windows 7 64it computer and so far all releases worked without bigger problems.

maybe just wait a couple of weeks or month and come back.

this is work in progress

Offline sky

• View Profile
I started using Bitshares X ver 0.4.10 as a brand new user.
Was positive and curious about this new entry on the market.

Since that date I have had multiple bugs with the client, and nothing has improved.
Constant re-installs, rescans, import of private keys and etc. - and still Transaction scanning progress -100% is popping up.
I have addressed this multiple times in the forum - just a few well-hearted responses - but no real help other than what I have been able to google and lookup in the whitepaper and wiki, which btw sometimes gives contradicting instructions..

I also tried to enter as a delegate - managed to find out how to do it by googling and piece together the commands to do it..
2 of my accounts are registered as Standby and I have tried multiple times to make them able to create blocks - both with the console command and from the account itself with the delegate feature.
Created 2 accounts for delegation - entered both with 100% but they turned out to be 50% and 66% respectively.. Not able to increase this - only decrease apparently?
After entering the command to have them create blocks and after voting for both - none of them shows up in the Standby delegates list..

Forum is not much help, as noone seems to know how to solve these bugs, and the devs does not seem to answer the questions/queries even after many days.

If you guys continue this path you will scare away potential customers and investors.

A new client/currency MUST work when you disclose it to the public, otherwise it is doomed.
I can't say this many times enough:
Wait with release till it is ready - otherwise forget it!
It is not sufficient that a group of devs and insiders knows how to run the client - if the masses, who you depend on, are struggling!