Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253177 times)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Thanks.

And shorts entered in that way don't show up in the order book right? But they will be first to be filled?

They will not show up true.
They will be executed first - wrong.
They will be executed if/when they come to 10% from the feed price. (more precisely if/when the feed price moves in that direction and their price(Pshrt) ;  Pshrt >= 90% of feed price)

Great, thanks, I think I understand better now. Where can I send the 250 BTSX? 

I think they should make it easier to enter shorts that way, hopefully this is all easy for traders.

(Edit: I haven't looked properly at the BitShares Music model, but it doesn't look very good.)
What 250 BTSX? If you want to tip me - send it to either Clains or Xeroc - they both run very good and important community development programs!

Additionally - I advise you to not enter any short orders before the next release. The covering is broken right now!!!!

Cool thanks for the help,  I've sent it to Xeroc

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Thanks.

And shorts entered in that way don't show up in the order book right? But they will be first to be filled?

They will be executed if/when they come to 10% from the feed price. (more precisely if/when the feed price moves in that direction and their price(Pshrt) ;  Pshrt >= 90% of feed price)

I think they should make it easier to enter shorts that way, hopefully this is all easy for traders.

(Edit: I haven't looked properly at the BitShares Music model, but it doesn't look very good.)
What 250 BTSX? If you want to tip me - send it to either Clains or Xeroc - they both run very good and important community development programs!

Additionally - I advise you to  not enter any short orders before the next release. The covering is broken right now!!!!
[edit]Fixed in 0.4.14

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:33:47 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:56:14 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Thanks.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
No from time to time I am serious (Read my bitshare Music posts for example).
The commands are:

Code: [Select]
wallet_market_submit_ask <from_account_name> <sell_quantity> <sell_quantity_symbol> <ask_price> <ask_price_symbol> [[b]allow_stupid_ask[/b]]
wallet_market_submit_bid <from_account_name> <quantity> <quantity_symbol> <base_price> <base_symbol> [[b]allow_stupid_bid[/b]]
wallet_market_submit_short <from_account_name> <short_quantity> <short_price> <short_symbol> [[b]allow_stupid_short[/b]]

Thanks.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
No from time to time I am serious/not sarcastic  (Read my bitshare Music posts for example).
The commands are:

Code: [Select]
wallet_market_submit_ask <from_account_name> <sell_quantity> <sell_quantity_symbol> <ask_price> <ask_price_symbol> [allow_stupid_ask]
wallet_market_submit_bid <from_account_name> <quantity> <quantity_symbol> <base_price> <base_symbol> [allow_stupid_bid]
wallet_market_submit_short <from_account_name> <short_quantity> <short_price> <short_symbol> [allow_stupid_short]

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:20:51 pm by tonyk »

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
When viewing the market as $ per BTSX... the current price is $0.038
You can place a short order at up to $0.042, the short order will only execute against people asking $0.038 or less per BTSX. 

No need to be the "first to submit" unless you are attempting to short at more than $.042...

Edit: On the short BTSX page if the median price is 26.5 (or $0.038) it only lets me enter a short higher than 26.5 which is <$0.038. So how do I enter a short at up 24 ($0.042) as per the example above?

I'm obviously being stupid but this is the thread for it...

I still don't know how to enter a short at a higher $ value than the median. BM's example seems to suggest I can enter a short up to 10% below the peg so that I get to be first in line when there's an opportunity to short at 1-1 and the difference is captured as fees. What am I misunderstanding here.

Enter it through the console, you might have to set allow_stupid_XXXX to true in some cases...
I requested implementing allow_general_stupidity command, as it will serve/describe me better, but I still do not see it ... :)

I presume you're joking about the console thing, I don't know what's going on. It seems everyone else understands.

Simple question to anyone. We used to allow shorting below the peg, this damaged the peg because too many wanted to short, so we introduced price feeds so that no BitUSD could be brought into existence unless there was demand for it at 1-1.

However I thought people could still compete at 1-1 by entering orders below the peg (like 0.95) so that they would be first in line to short if someone wanted to buy BitUSD at 1-1 or above (& the difference would be captured as fees) However I can't enter a short below the median, watsup?

Or what simple thing am I not understanding, 250 BTSX to the first person that can make me understand.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
You can place a short order at up to $0.042, the short order will only execute against people asking $0.038 or less per BTSX. 

No need to be the "first to submit" unless you are attempting to short at more than $.042...

Edit: On the short BTSX page if the median price is 26.5 (or $0.038) it only lets me enter a short higher than 26.5 which is <$0.038. So how do I enter a short at up 24 ($0.042) as per the example above?

I still don't know how to enter a short at a higher $ value than the median. BM's example seems to suggest I can enter a short up to 10% below the peg so that I get to be first in line when there's an opportunity to short at 1-1 and the difference is captured as fees. What am I misunderstanding here.

Enter it through the console, you might have to set allow_stupid_XXXX to true in some cases...
I requested implementing allow_general_stupidity command, as it will serve/describe me better, but I still do not see it ... :)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
what's the difference between getting a yield in btsx and having parts of the btsx supply burned over time ..
if you calculate in BIPS its the same result .. or am I missing something essential here?

Supposedly if you hold btsx you are being paid an inherent yield from the burning of the supply, an explicit yield is paid to you for bitAssets because they are not burned. The yield comes from fees which are inefficiencies caused by humans when people buy and sell (fear/greed) etc. I know what you are getting at, but Im not sure they are equal... does that mean that if you earn 10% yield YoY that 10% of the entire supply has been burned YoY?

I wonder if there is not an incentive to create volatility to increase fear/greed and thus to increase fees/burning to benefit those who are earning yield explicitly or implicitly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:14:41 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline betax

• View Profile
+5% for this thread! Finally managed to wrap my head around the whole asks, bids, shorts thing and especially the part about collateral and margin calls, thanks all :)

+5% ditto
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline svk

+5% for this thread! Finally managed to wrap my head around the whole asks, bids, shorts thing and especially the part about collateral and margin calls, thanks all :)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Riverhead

what's the difference between getting a yield in btsx and having parts of the btsx supply burned over time ..
if you calculate in BIPS its the same result .. or am I missing something essential here?

I didn't think of that you are right.

Another stupid question:
With the burning rate as it is right know how much is the estimated "YIELD" in % for the BTSX holder's? Is it equal to the % burning rate?

I think it is so small that it is negligible.

The APR would be about 0.02% (yes, that's two hundredths of a percent)

Assumptions: Burn rate of 1500/day*365 = 547500/year / 2BB supply = 0.00027375 or 0.02%

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

Another stupid question:
With the burning rate as it is right know how much is the estimated "YIELD" in % for the BTSX holder's? Is it equal to the % burning rate?

I think it is so small that it is negligible.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Another stupid question: