Author Topic: Help spread the word: List of external threads needing up-votes/comments  (Read 62181 times)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
How long do you figure this little post will last there?

Now imagine if instead of spending those million bitcoins per year on electricity, they were spent on hiring developers, and marketing, and infrastructure, even Super Bowl ads! Suppose there was technology just sitting there off the shelf that replaced mining with useful work. There are developers right now getting paid this way to work on next generation technology for blockchains with transaction times of 10 seconds not 10 minutes. Technology is marching on (like it does everywhere else).

You point out that as long as Bitcoin grows at 10% a year it can break even. But wouldn't it get accepted even faster if those resources paid for growth? And with that growth, the buying power of those new coins would grow even faster.

Bitcoin could become a rocket ship if it generated thrust instead of heat with its increasing coin supply. It could pay 100 small businesses a revenue stream of several million dollars a year each to grow the ecosystem. All those employees might still sell their new coins for food creating the same down pressure we are seeing today, but at least they would be doing something useful as a by-product.

Do we really think that 10 years from now Bitcoin will be using the same technology it does today? Does anything else stand still like that? If it must surely upgrade sometime before then, why not now?
Will Bitcoin wait till other competitors, who use their supply generating fuel for thrust instead of heat, go zipping past it?

Bitcoin is a philosophy. It is a set of ideals. It is a vision. That's what's important. It is not a fixed technology.
Here's a keynote address from Beyond Bitcoin in Las Vegas which makes this case. Let's keep our technology up to date and rally around the Bitcoin vision instead. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U44MujtVj00
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
thx for posting .. but it seems to have been deleted :(
weird. When I logout I also can't see it. When I log in I can see it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
thx for posting .. but it seems to have been deleted :(

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Join the discussion please:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2rajx5/a_minimum_of_1470_bitcoins_has_to_be_dumped_on/
Can someone comment on this and refer to the bytemaster talk at vegas please? Maybe add some lengthy comment .. best would be ASAP

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.