Author Topic: Balance missing because of old wallet file  (Read 18068 times)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
@educatedwarrior Do you still have the original backup made using v0.4.23.1? And to be clear this is a backup JSON you are recovering from and not an existing full wallet directory from that old version? And you are sure you did not make any further transactions after this backup was created so it should contain all your keys (including potential AGS/PTS keys that were never claimed)?

I'm looking at some of the old wallet releases and it seems like there might be a separate issue with the format of certain wallet records changing in later versions. These records should have automatically updated when upgrading--but to be safe I'm thinking that for very old backups it might help to:

• Install v0.4.24.1, import and unlock the backup wallet (you might see a wallet format upgrade message)
  • Upgrade to v0.6.2, open and unlock the same wallet (I don't think this step is necessary but just in case)
  • Upgrade to v0.9.3c, import the final blockchain and do a full rescan following the 2.0 migration instructions

More information on where the breakdown seems to first occur would also be helpful. For example, you are able to see your expected balance at point X but cannot migrate it to version Y?

Edit: @mrbildo Sounds like you are in a similar situation with a very old wallet backup JSON? Do you have an idea of where the breakdown might be occurring when following the above steps?

I can see my balance after upgrading to v0.9.3c and doing a full rescan.  It's when I import the v0.9.3c wallet export file into bitshares 2.0 my balance doesn't transfer over.
1. please make sure you have latest 0.x blockchain data before the rescan. Although the network is down, there is a link to download the full data. Otherwise the balance in your screenshot can't be trusted.
2. if the balance is still there after a good rescan, please make sure the "v0.9.3c wallet export file " is created from the command in the console, but not from the gui/menu.
3. if it's still missing, I guess you did something wrong in 2.0, or perhaps have claimed the funds in 2.0 earlier.

Your issue hasn't been described clearly. Paste more screenshots, step by step, how much time cost on one step, etc.

An easier way is to give your public keys to one of the people who can help. Or ask someone to guide you via Skype or so.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline mrbildo

• View Profile
fluxer555 helped me recover mine, took a while but we got it done, I recommend sending him a pm. Few steps in the process and quite a bit of trouble shooting but he knows what he's doing. Hope you get sorted

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
@educatedwarrior Do you still have the original backup made using v0.4.23.1? And to be clear this is a backup JSON you are recovering from and not an existing full wallet directory from that old version? And you are sure you did not make any further transactions after this backup was created so it should contain all your keys (including potential AGS/PTS keys that were never claimed)?

I'm looking at some of the old wallet releases and it seems like there might be a separate issue with the format of certain wallet records changing in later versions. These records should have automatically updated when upgrading--but to be safe I'm thinking that for very old backups it might help to:

• Install v0.4.24.1, import and unlock the backup wallet (you might see a wallet format upgrade message)
  • Upgrade to v0.6.2, open and unlock the same wallet (I don't think this step is necessary but just in case)
  • Upgrade to v0.9.3c, import the final blockchain and do a full rescan following the 2.0 migration instructions

More information on where the breakdown seems to first occur would also be helpful. For example, you are able to see your expected balance at point X but cannot migrate it to version Y?

Edit: @mrbildo Sounds like you are in a similar situation with a very old wallet backup JSON? Do you have an idea of where the breakdown might be occurring when following the above steps?

I can see my balance after upgrading to v0.9.3c and doing a full rescan.  It's when I import the v0.9.3c wallet export file into bitshares 2.0 my balance doesn't transfer over.
BTSX: codeblooded   |   PTS: PiiQ6ZECCRYawcZFc8ZGbvjuCjCnBVuPjA
BTSX delegate: wallet_approve_delegate codeblooded true

Offline vikram

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:34:29 pm by vikram »

Offline mrbildo

• View Profile
I think my issue is with rescanning the chain before exporting, I have tried EVERYTHING i can find online and nothing works, this is really not cool.

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
Same problem, where are the devs on this? Clearly this is a huge issue for many of their "Angel" and early adopters. The lack of support here in recovering lost funds is a joke tbh. I feel like I am having to hack my own wallet just to get my own money back, not cool.

I made a post here in Steemit.  https://steemit.com/bitshares/@educatedwarrior/my-experience-upgrading-for-bitshares-x-version-0-4-23-1-to-bitshares-2-0-instructions-included
@mrbildo , maybe we need to start a list of all early adopters having issues upgrading their wallets.   Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:02:49 pm by educatedwarrior »

Offline mrbildo

• View Profile
Same problem, where are the devs on this? Clearly this is a huge issue for many of their "Angel" and early adopters. The lack of support here in recovering lost funds is a joke tbh. I feel like I am having to hack my own wallet just to get my own money back, not cool.

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
no need to be nervous .. your funds are still on the blockchain and as long as you have a backup of your wallet your funds will be accessible again ..

Please help me.  @xeroc    Somebody?

I"ve tried all of this...

Migration to BitShares 2.0 - Incorrect Balances - "Know How"
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20822.0.html

Balance Missing Because of Old Wallet File
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,9194.30.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:25:21 am by educatedwarrior »

Offline vikram

Then I transfered part of BTS to myself (as I was afraid to transfer all funds yet). Outgoing balance was substracted but incoming balance didn't show up, also not after wallet_account_balance.

I suspect you might have been hit with the transaction scanning bug that forced us to release 0.4.24.1--give it another shot once 0.4.25 is released and let us know what happens.

Offline vikram

running 0.4.25 RC1

With 0.4.24 I had 1 orphaned address with a balance I couldn't access.  With this update I now have 15 orphaned addresses with that balance split among them.  I'm not sure whether this update was meant to fix this or not.  No worries, just reporting.

Thankfully with latest version I am now finally able to see transaction history.

Does this help? https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12105.msg160172#msg160172

Xeldal

running 0.4.25 RC1

With 0.4.24 I had 1 orphaned address with a balance I couldn't access.  With this update I now have 15 orphaned addresses with that balance split among them.  I'm not sure whether this update was meant to fix this or not.  No worries, just reporting.

Thankfully with latest version I am now finally able to see transaction history. 

Offline kisa

• View Profile
please see here the original thread, Vikram...
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8371.msg114079#msg114079

to briefly summarize - on september 8th i bought 1000 bitUSD and left some market orders. later that day my windows crashed and i had to run system recovery. unfortunately i only had old wallet backup. all my market transactions and orders of September 8th show outflows to unknown, so i am missing some 120K BTSX and 1000bitUSD in my balance. xeroc kindly posted this issue on https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/769

Pretty much in the same spot. Got about 1000BitUSD and 60KBTSX not showing up in my total. What I'd like to know if they went to collateral or if they will at some point be recovered.

I have not forgotten about these issues; I will be looking into them.

Thanks Vikram. Would such issues still be worked on if the merger happens?

Yes, I will address as many issues as I can regardless of any DAC merges.

I have started rewriting some of the key (re)generating code. I suspect your wallet(s) somehow got into an inconsistent state where the current version of wallet_regenerate_keys won't properly regenerate everything. My updates won't make it into the next release (0.4.21), but when the changes are ready we will see if hopefully you can regenerate the proper keys to unlock your funds.

v0.4.24 is out (https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.24) which finally has some updates to the wallet key handling and regeneration.

kisa and bitmeat if you are still missing funds, try the following steps exactly as I've written them:
  • Make sure you have the wallet or wallet backup of the wallet you originally used for the market orders that you are missing funds from.
  • Open the wallet (or restore the backup) with v0.4.24.
  • Unlock the wallet if you haven't already.
  • Make a new backup of the wallet that we will restore to later.
  • We will now regenerate a large number of keys. This will make the wallet slow afterwards, so after we are done we will restore from the most recent backup.
  • Use the command "wallet_regenerate_keys <account_name> 10500", replacing <account_name> with your relevant account name. This will take some time to generate all those keys and then rescan the blockchain.
  • Check "wallet_account_balance". Does that balance include your missing funds now?
  • Check "wallet_market_order_list". Do you have any orders which you weren't able to access before?
  • If you are able to access any missing funds, it's easiest to just transfer your entire balance back to yourself.
  • Restore the backup we created in step (4) and if you transferred any new funds back to yourself, it should show up as an incoming transaction and you should be able to access those funds now.

Let me know if this helps anyone.

Finally I had time to implement the above instructions.

First, I deinstalled all previous client versions and deleted bitshares directory under appshare/ roaming.

Then I downloaded v.0.4.24 from bitshares.org and created an empty wallet.

Syncing blocks didn't work first, got stuck now and then, after I agreed to patch updates. I had to reinstall clean and rejected patch updates. Sync crashed half time, but resumed next day and completed. Then I installed patch updates.

Importing old .json backup did work, and I created new backup before regenerating keys.

Then - great news - regenerating keys 10500 did work and restored missing balances from old orders!

Then I transfered part of BTS to myself (as I was afraid to transfer all funds yet). Outgoing balance was substracted but incoming balance didn't show up, also not after wallet_account_balance.

When I restored to the newly created backup, still the incoming balance from the latest self transfer was missing.

When I tried to quit client crashed. At re-opening the client showed empty wallet, was not connecting. I agreed to reindexing database.

Then client at default picked up a strange version of wallet, with somewhat incorrect balance and without transaction history. I attempted to regenerate 10500 keys again, and transaction history appeared again after a very slow rescan. Still the recent self-transfer part of balance was missing and self - transfer didn't show under transaction history.

Perhaps I better wait until a new version and then try again, as the client keeps crashing at this stage and I don't want to invest more time into this struggle, as I am not tech person.

Anyway, when I saw restored balance at some point during that process, this gave me confidence that at some future point I get all my funds and will be able to trade on market seamless :)

good luck guys with the new release!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:21:00 pm by kisa »

Xeldal

Hot dog!

This worked^  wallet_rescan_blockchain 1000000

Balance is restored.  Odd though, first I used simply rescan 1000000 and it appeared to do nothing for some time. so I tried wallet_rescan_blockchain 900000 200000 1 .  It then started scanning, slowly, finished with 100% and then after a couple seconds I started getting windows notifications about market orders/receiving/sending etc and noticed it had started scanning again, this time much faster.

I'm guessing the first scan was just highly delayed and scanned twice because I had told it twice, thinking the first one was in error.

Thanks for your help.

Offline vikram

Any idea when we might expect the next release?

Today I decided to vote with some of what was left of my non-inaccessible funds and now they are gone/missing/inaccessible as well.

I'm sure they are there but my client can only make it to about 30% rescan before 'failure scanning transactions' .. so they remain out of my reach.

Since your scanning is failing for some reason, it is not able to pick up the TITAN transaction to see your funds. You might be able to get around this by manually starting a scan partway through the chain--after the block it fails but before the block you made the transfer. See the output of "help wallet_rescan_blockchain":

Code: [Select]
(wallet closed) >>> help scan
Usage:
wallet_rescan_blockchain [first_block_number] [num_blocks] [fast_scan]                                Scans the blockchain history for operations relevant to this wallet.
Scans the blockchain history for operations relevant to this wallet.

Parameters:
  first_block_number (uint32_t, optional, defaults to 0): the first block to scan
  num_blocks (uint32_t, optional, defaults to -1): the number of blocks to scan
  fast_scan (bool, optional, defaults to false): true to scan as fast as possible but freeze the rest of your computer, and false otherwise

Returns:
  void

aliases: scan, rescan

I will fix this in the next version so that it does not abort scanning on a single failure: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1060

The next release has many fixes, but is unfortunately taking some time due to the amount of features we are working on. If you urgently need your funds we can talk on Skype and try to recover them with the current version. I've pm'ed you my username.

Xeldal

Any idea when we might expect the next release?

Today I decided to vote with some of what was left of my non-inaccessible funds and now they are gone/missing/inaccessible as well.

I'm sure they are there but my client can only make it to about 30% rescan before 'failure scanning transactions' .. so they remain out of my reach.