Author Topic: How high can she go?  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Riverhead

You're not going to be successful (however you measure success) doing what everyone else is doing. Work or not we're trying something different. For me that counts for a lot.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
is a trillion dollar market cap reasonable say even 20 years into the future, considering the vast sums of wealth contained in these markets??

Am I delusional??
No, you are too conservative.

Maybe it is conservative but it sure as hell won't be an easy ride. The day we get passed or even near bitcoin is the day we will be in the spot light. When that day comes expect extreme attacks and smear campaigns from the bitcoin community (I know they have already started but I think they will do much worst) and then soon after from the mass media. The bigger we get the more downwards pressure will be applied on us.

Because of the streisand effect, I welcome this.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
However, if it all works, we can have hundreds of multi-billion dollar successfully market pegged bitassets.  It's a big if, but the potential reward is huge and it looks to me like the plan is good enough to be worth trying.  I consider it super high risk with super high reward at this stage.

This pretty much sums it all up.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Some of you are at this level of understanding, and I wonder how you can even sleep :D

I have lost my sleep since last November. Not that I have any significant stake, nor I am convinced that this will be in the trillions market cap ever but it is just so much more interesting to learn all that compared to my day job.. I got the DAC bug...

I have lost my sleep too...
and I am thinking how the hell I managed to get a bitshares slave...
forget the fuc^%$  "freedom" quotes about bitshares... they are not true !!!

I am considering seriously to move back to fiat or meet Adam @ the Doge party...  :P
at least there, I will have the illusion I am free... and smart!

Offline matt608

• View Profile
The potential is certainly there for a trillion+ dollar market cap for Bitshares-X, but there is also a lot of risk involved.  We don't know if the market peg will work (while it's working well so far as hardly anyone is using it).  We don't know if DPOS will work.  We don't know if the whole thing wont implode from cascading margin calls.  We don't know if there are other technical problems or unforeseen problems or how regulatory hurdles affecting the fiat on ramps and other possible aspects may slow things down or bring things to a grinding halt.  We don't know how bubbles in BTSX price forming and crashing could mess up the market peg.  We don't know about future potential competitors, or the future global economic climate.  Then there's the current dependency on the dev team and all the other risks associated with any startup.

However, if it all works, we can have hundreds of multi-billion dollar successfully market pegged bitassets.  It's a big if, but the potential reward is huge and it looks to me like the plan is good enough to be worth trying.  I consider it super high risk with super high reward at this stage.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:26:15 pm by matt608 »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Some of you are at this level of understanding, and I wonder how you can even sleep :D

I have lost my sleep since last November. Not that I have any significant stake, nor I am convinced that this will be in the trillions market cap ever but it is just so much more interesting to learn all that compared to my day job.. I got the DAC bug...

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
For the moment, the only thing bitshares destroyed is my real life productivity. I compulsively read all the stuff out there and try to figure out if really this will happen. Coming from a non business oriented background at all (I'm french, never had any economy course, and have been a ignorant/arrogant leftist for most of my life), I have so much to learn.

If I could be intimately convinced that *all this* (the trillion thing) will really happen if enough energy is invested in it, then I should spend all my waking time helping making it happen. I have been convinced by the form : everything seems to make sense.

But I would have to be able to reinvent the whole system from nothing myself in order to be 100% convinced that it WILL happen.

For lefties...?  We offer reduction in the wasteful electricity consumption for starters... But you probably know that already.
For sleepless nights - I do not know of too many successful attempts and/or solutions.   :)

For the rest, as the Russians say "We will live, we will see."
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
For the moment, the only thing bitshares destroyed is my real life productivity. I compulsively read all the stuff out there and try to figure out if really this will happen. Coming from a non business oriented background at all (I'm french, never had any economy course, and have been a ignorant/arrogant leftist for most of my life), I have so much to learn.

If I could be intimately convinced that *all this* (the trillion thing) will really happen if enough energy is invested in it, then I should spend all my waking time helping making it happen. I have been convinced by the form : everything seems to make sense.

But I would have to be able to reinvent the whole system from nothing myself in order to be 100% convinced that it WILL happen.

Nothing is guaranteed, obviously, but the fundamentals/possibilities definitely seem to be in place. And I'll be damned if I don't try chucking some money at it in hopes it succeeds; don't think I could bear the regret that would come from having not tried.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

So, do you guys believe that everybody presently on this forum is a future millionaire/billionaire ? My mind cannot compute that.

If really trillions are on the table, the real world is full of really bad shit (murder/violence). Delegates will have to watch their asses.

I suspect the value will be spread across a dozen different DACs...

I mean there will probably be a dozen different variations on X. 

Do you mean a trillion dollar market cap would likely be spread across the entire BitShares ecosystem (like Music, DNS, Vote, etc)? I imagine if BTSX is truly successful, many of these other DACs would be successful as well; but if any has the possibility of reaching trillions it'd be BTSX, wouldn't it?
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I personally hope to not become millionaire just holding my USD...Already experienced being millionaire holding other fiat... no champagne and roses...
You can be millionaire in sweden with roughly 100k$ :)
Still some big gap for me to achieve that ..  :-\

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
So, do you guys believe that everybody presently on this forum is a future millionaire/billionaire ? My mind cannot compute that.

If really trillions are on the table, the real world is full of really bad shit (murder/violence). Delegates will have to watch their asses.

Do you mean a trillion dollar market cap would likely be spread across the entire BitShares ecosystem (like Music, DNS, Vote, etc)? I imagine if BTSX is truly successful, many of these other DACs would be successful as well; but if any has the possibility of reaching trillions it'd be BTSX, wouldn't it?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I personally hope to not become millionaire just holding my USD...Already experienced being millionaire holding other fiat... no champagne and roses...
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads