Author Topic: [ANN] [STEEM] Introducing Steem, Looking for Witnesses / Miners  (Read 114736 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
The sharedrop was promised by Invictus company .

And STEEM is run by STEEM company .

So . it's ok not to drop on it .

I have to say this is a very strange response from someone who's been around as long as you have. Steem/Steemit/Steemit Inc. is running on code and talent developed for Bitshares. Dan's pitch, and the reason so many invested in PTS/AGS, was that the code base could be used to bootstrap an entire ecosystem of blockchain based projects. Investors would fund development of the initial code base and in return would receive a share in future projects.

The world is a harsh place and I would expect some to profit by abusing the 'social contract' upon which investment in PTS/AGS was premised via any number of schemes (ie. we changed the name on the sign and are no longer on the hook) but to be completely honest the lead dev is the last person I would have expected to do this sort of thing.

Those of us that invested in Dan's vision in the early days did so because his vision was sheer genius - design a generic platform which could be used by others to build an entire economy of block chain based businesses. By funding the creation of the generic platform investors could share in the success of the businesses that were built on top of it.

Steem/Steemit/Steemit Inc. seems to be the first profitable (?) realization of Dan's vision and hot damn, it's hard to believe the Bitshares folks are being left to hang.

Yes, BTS seems to be seeing some buying of late. Yes, the 'select few' that followed Dan are enjoying an influx of capital. All good things. But the social contract that was supposed to transcend the legal/political/corporate fuckery that defines the current state of the world seems to have been shat upon.

Say it ain't so! I've held my investment through brief highs and long, long lows because I believe Bitshares has real potential to level the playing field, globally. Hopefully Dan is having his Skywalker moment of doubt and is dabbling in the dark side.

It ain't so. Do some research. There are innumerable people still working on BitShares, and many of the people working on Steem are also very active in BitShares. If Steem had not been invented, BitShares would have ground to a halt because their were no development funds, and some of the devs NEED TO EAT, and NEED TO FEED THEIR CHILDREN.

There are some very "entitled" people in BitShares who think they are owed something beyond what had been produced by the time development funds ran out (and further funding through dilution - a very common business practice, as in new funding rounds - could not get the required votes).

And look at BitShares Munich, one of the leading sources of BitShares development now.  It has brought in thousands of dollars of bitshares development funds for itself BY POSTING ABOUT IT ON STEEMIT.COM and getting upvoted there (when it couldn't raise enough funding by selling its OPENPOS asset on the DEX).

The ignorance sometimes displayed in this forum is stifling.

thanks for your view of an "inside
r".

Aren't you the guy who took month after month of pay from the blockchain to fund his own bitshares-related business startup? And then shut it down?

Yours is the type of ignorance that I am talking about. And your constant negativity and bitterness are not only stifling, but counterproductive.

true, and the opensourced codebase is here: https://github.com/wildbunny/metaexchange
the community paid for this and for this reason the codebase is opensource.
but, why has my personal opinion something to do with this?

@oldman

thanks for your post, you said what i would like to said if my english would be better

@bytemaster

good to see you have success. But you will not erase your past, good luck to look into the mirror!

Offline networker

• View Profile
I highly recommend everyone look into Steem.  It has a lot of promise and is worth your time.
[/quote
No one will believe you since you sell all of your bitshares and abandon the BTS  community. ]

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile
I created real Steemit billboard and came here for a little upvote love.

https://steemit.com/steem/@sir/first-advertising-billboard-for-steemit-is-ready-in-croatia-video

Thank you.

I'm delighted with the support. I was just surprised. Thank you very much @Stan @xeroc . You're not a little Steemians, and yet with 40 votes I got  $5. This means that creating a local (Croatian) community on Steem would be very difficult if not impossible.

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile

Offline prophetx

• View Profile
btw anyone know the answer to how to withdraw SBD from polo so i can buy some on the decentralized market?  i'm trying to see how the arbitrage is working, but i haven't used bitshares in ages and i dont know how the address/memo stuff works

https://steemit.com/steemit/@decrypt/how-do-i-send-steem-or-sbd-from-poloniex-to-steemit

i'm getting 2 conflicting accounts from commentators, if there is some BTS dev that actually knows for sure, it would be create before I accidentally throw away another $10...

or is there a separate forum for steem that i can get support?

You don't need memo to withdraw SBD to Steemit. Just your username. When you are transferring funds to Poloniex then you need memo but it is easy to find under deposit instructions.

thanks, yea i finally got the right answer.  i had not used bitshares in ages so i had forgotten how it worked.

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile
btw anyone know the answer to how to withdraw SBD from polo so i can buy some on the decentralized market?  i'm trying to see how the arbitrage is working, but i haven't used bitshares in ages and i dont know how the address/memo stuff works

https://steemit.com/steemit/@decrypt/how-do-i-send-steem-or-sbd-from-poloniex-to-steemit

i'm getting 2 conflicting accounts from commentators, if there is some BTS dev that actually knows for sure, it would be create before I accidentally throw away another $10...

You don't need memo to withdraw SBD to Steemit. Just your username. When you are transferring funds to Poloniex then you need memo but it is easy to find under deposit instructions.

Offline prophetx

• View Profile

Offline prophetx

• View Profile
i didn't think they were the same bitUSD that is on the Bitshares network.  i think they are sort of a copy of bitUSD using Steem as collateral (I guess).

They do pay interest as you point out. 

In any case the volume is pretty high.

it's crazy though how crypto money just flows to the next cool project as soon as one turns out to be a bit of a turd (the DAO hack).  someone mentioned to me Steem a couple months back, and we saw it used for articles for some bounties we have for a project.  The day i started actually researching it it popped 150% lol. 

Still no one has answered me about the licensing?

Wasn't the contract that all future chains using the BTS code had to give back 10%?  Or was that not formally enshrined in the "open source" license? 

As a bts holder of course i'm disappointed that the team couldn't stay together and capitalize, however as someone that works on projects, I was always greedy about getting my hands on that graphene tech ;)

someone needs to make an instastreem... integrate with siacoin and storj so people can get paid for posting photos and silly videos.... i've got loads of girls here in ibiza with 15k+ followers and they don't get paid squat :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:13:24 am by prophetx »

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Thank you to those with positive feedback on my post, greatly appreciated and I think we are all feeling a bit disenchanted with how things have progressed over the past three months.

I am going to give credit where it's due though - CNX did a substantial amount of work for BTS on their own dime. Now we can speculate till the cows come home about who benefited from their sweat equity, but I'm also going to ask that we stop beating up on each other until we know where we stand with Dan. It's wasted time and effort all around.

In the interim I'm going to try and coat tail BTS on Steemit's market cap and need everyone's help to do it. Please see my proposal here:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22864.msg296565.html#msg296565

Basically I hope will be enough capital via blogging to bump BTS cap and increase DEX liquidity to get Bitshares over the hump. First post is up and I'm asking everyone here to head over to the dark side an upvote/comment:

link to steemit doesnt work btw

does anyone understand how steem dollars work?  just the other day it was worth 2.5X of 1 dollar value in btc on Polo, I thought perhaps it was just polo speculators but then the volume exceeded 1000+ btc in 24 hours... so thought it would function like bitUSD... kind of strange.

https://steemit.com/steemit/@decrypt/analysis-theories-for-why-steem-backed-dollars-cost-more-than-usd1

Yes, my forum user name and Steemit account name are not playing nice.

I have been watching Polo too and have no idea what is going on. Steem Dollars are bitUSD with interest, so maybe it's just a complete hot mess to take a position?

Offline prophetx

• View Profile
Thank you to those with positive feedback on my post, greatly appreciated and I think we are all feeling a bit disenchanted with how things have progressed over the past three months.

I am going to give credit where it's due though - CNX did a substantial amount of work for BTS on their own dime. Now we can speculate till the cows come home about who benefited from their sweat equity, but I'm also going to ask that we stop beating up on each other until we know where we stand with Dan. It's wasted time and effort all around.

In the interim I'm going to try and coat tail BTS on Steemit's market cap and need everyone's help to do it. Please see my proposal here:

Basically I hope will be enough capital via blogging to bump BTS cap and increase DEX liquidity to get Bitshares over the hump. First post is up and I'm asking everyone here to head over to the dark side an upvote/comment:

link to steemit doesnt work btw

does anyone understand how steem dollars work?  just the other day it was worth 2.5X of 1 dollar value in btc on Polo, I thought perhaps it was just polo speculators but then the volume exceeded 1000+ btc in 24 hours... so thought it would function like bitUSD... kind of strange.

https://steemit.com/steemit/@decrypt/analysis-theories-for-why-steem-backed-dollars-cost-more-than-usd1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:59:19 am by prophetx »

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
And the main reason people don't trust CNX is that they took bitshares from a market cap of $100 million down to $7 million under their leadership.  That's a really easy way to piss off investors.  Having the "leader" (which Dan said his New Years resolution was to become a better leader for BTS) bail after cutting the market cap by 90% and inflating the supply all while alienating the Chinese community probably didn't help either.

It's really not that difficult to see why so many here have lost faith in CNX.  But like I said, if CNX actually delivers something the perception might all change.  It's a "what have you done for me lately" world.

Nobody is asking anyone to trust CNX.  It's been a one-way street for the past 18 months with CNX always on the giving end.  We won't be asking for anything from anyone for the foreseeable future.

During that whole time BitShares has been unleashed and not subject to any centralized leadership.

It took Dan completely breaking off engagement to get the community to take responsibility for itself.  Very pleased to see people stepping up.  Apparently that wouldn't happen if everyone was still deferring to Dan for leadership.  We'll have to be careful that what we hope to do "this summer" doesn't reverse any of that very gratifying progress.

Lest we forget, this has always been the plan, since many months before even PTS was launched on Guy Fawkes Day, 2013...as i reiterated nearly 18 months ago:

The Origin of BitShares
Part 10
BitShares Unleashed

In this industry, talk often turns to the virtues of decentralization.  This usually means distributed software, but we have aimed to decentralize the BitShares industry as well. And for good reasons!  What good is decentralized software if someone can attack the human organization that maintains it? How do we actually achieve the word “Autonomous” in the DAC acronym anyway?

Now that BitShares has become the world’s first self-funding DAC,
that vision is within reach.

Those who have been with us since the beginning will remember we emphasized that a critical stage in the life of a DAC would be when it is able to become unleashed from its developers.  Only then would it be truly emancipated and autonomous …even sovereign.  Barely sixteen months ago, we said it this way when we unveiled our the concept of a Decentralized Autonomous Company (DAC) in a LetsTalkBitcoin.com article entitled:

Ultimately, to achieve complete incorruptibility,
developers must be willing to let go of their own control. 
If there remains any centralized human control anywhere,
it will eventually be exploited to the detriment of the DAC’s stakeholders. 
DACs need to be free to be trusted.

We think we have now come close to achieving this vision.

BitShares will be the first fully automatic company.
It will employ humans, not the other way around.

BitShares will still have human owners; it will still serve human customers; and it will still hire human staff; but it will be managed by independent software agents that cannot be corrupted, seduced or coerced. Because it can be trusted in ways that manned companies cannot, it will be able to serve its owners and customers more reliably than any manned company you may still be inclined to trust.

So, as long planned, we have set BitShares free - releasing it into the wild!

Invictus Innovations Incorporated (I3) has ceased operations in the crypto currency space to ensure that there remains no central control over BitShares of any kind.  For a while, the corporation will continue to exist as a legal entity to handle any future regulatory inquiry, tax audits, or other government duties associated with its past existence.   But BitShares will no longer depend upon Invictus for anything.

Invictus has delivered BitShares to its owners as a self-funding, self-maintaining, self-promoting product.

Having accomplished that mission, Invictus can quietly ride off into the sunset in search of Satoshi Nakamoto.

Meanwhile BitShares, DAC (not BitShares, Inc.) has already begun hiring its own support, development, and promotional contractors. Most of us who have been employed by Invictus Innovations have sought employment directly with BitShares.   We have been hired by our own software!  And up to 101 delegate-based contractor slots are now open for other new talent of all kinds.

Whether we are familiar old-timers or newly arriving talent, each of us will have to make our case to the community of BitShares holders. They will make all hiring decisions. Based upon the indicated preferences of those voters on the blockchain, BitShares, DAC will automatically hire and pay the top 101 vote getters.  This will make elected delegates very competitive, responsive, open and transparent – since those same voters can just as easily fire us… in about ten seconds.

So now you are caught up.  The Vision first laid out in Bitcoin and the Three Laws of Robotics has been, at least partly, achieved.  There is still much work to do to grow BitShares, DAC into a Fortune 100 Unmanned Company. But the whole world can work on it together...and the path forward is clear.   

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
I like the new platform, but still feel left out due to that ags issue. No ags > no graphene > no steemit.

This statement is completely false.
All AGS was able to do is get to BitShares 0.9.3c, with Vote, DNS, Play, and Muse all sucking wind looking for funding.  Yet to this day AGS holders are still gaining vesting BTS shares.

The Cryptonomex team spent a whole year developing Graphene on its own sweat equity .  Yet, still gave it all away to the community.

Then we spun off Steemit with new players and their new sweat equity building on Graphene but nothing that was originally funded by PTS/AGS/BTS.

Now Cryptonomex is working to do even more for this community with even more resources that do not come from BTS, AGS, or PTS.

I don't know what it takes to earn trust around here, but I am not impressed with the entitlement attitudes that imply we can never do enough.

How about delivering something to the BTS community instead of just "new investment opportunities".  I think everyone here has had enough of buying the next best thing (AGS/PTS/DNS/Brownies/BTS0.9/BTS2/Steem).

There were constant pump posts to buy bts based on "summer announcements" that never came to fruition.  Investors here feel like they were promised business development, but when everything fell through Bytemaster just jumped ship to a new platform.  It didn't help that he promoted doing sharedrops and abandoned this on the first new chain that he created.

You are saying CNX is doing things behind the scenes, but that has been the story for the last year... Nothing has been seen or delivered other than 2.0 itself.  This would all be cleared up if CNX created a worker proposal for a collateralized bond market or maker taker.

...and that's why I no longer publish details about what we are working on.  90% of all leads fail.  I tried sharing this stuff with you but all I got were posts like this.    Now you'll just have to wait and be surprised.

Then why did you even ask what it takes to earn trust around here?

I'm guessing you knew what the answer would be.  Why not comment on the idea of doing a worker proposal?

Proposals are based in part on what resources are available to work on them.
Resources are hired based on the availability of stable funding.
A constant battle over who controls the funding light switch means no one dares hire against any line item.
So the resources remain allocated elsewhere

:)

That excuse was already addressed by me in that thread.  A CNX proposal has never even been created.  You will have a valid argument if you create a proposal, get voted in, then get voted out.  Until then, your argument above isn't valid.

Xeroc is the largest proxy and could pretty much vote in any proposal he wanted.  I'm sure you wouldn't have to worry about stable funding.

The problem i'm seeing with CNX ability in gaining trust is their "it's not our fault" attitude.  You guys designed and managed the system for years... you take all the credit for the success's but try to deflect any of the problems. 

"A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit." --Arnold Glasow