Author Topic: Marketing Direction - Why not How or What...  (Read 23161 times)

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I agree with the OP but want to add making a statement will only get you so far. At the end of the day people just want to know what their ROI will be.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I'm a little worried that BitShares may go the way of Linux; that is, an excellent product (superior, in fact to alternatives for most typical use cases) that is stuck without widespread adoption (at least for desktops - linux does dominate servers and mobile).

Maybe one of the reason why linux never worked is that linux tried to sell the why, and most normal people don't get the why.

Where linux "succeeded" in the marketplace was where it became transparent to normal people. Most normal users do not know that embedded devices (e.g., their cars/airplanes) are most likely running linux, when they visit a website they are most likely running linux, when they get the new smartphone they are most likely getting linux.

I think BitShares can succeed in that way, as the backend to more commercial/user-friendly/normal people sites or apps. Possibly becoming the payment backend for some ecommerce or the backend to some exchange/asset web site.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
You need to know why first and then have a great product second. 

The why can appeal mainstream. I don't intend to push anarchism on the masses.   But if we can tap into instinct and emotion then we will get a higher conversion rate.

Speaking of conversion rate, there are easy ways to test how well a message will perform before you roll out the big guns. Here's how I do it: put up an AdWords ad for a high trafficked keyword targeting your chosen demographic. Use the built in A/B engine to test multiple "hot buttons" at the same time. This will allow your marketing team to objectively select the best marketing message on a per demographic basis.

EDIT: You're measuring click through rate (CTR) to quickly decide on the best message.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:00:04 pm by MeTHoDx »

Xeldal

These ideals, principles and philosophy are great for personal motivation to build something great.  Your core builder/supporters will recognize this message without being sold on it. 

Marketing out of principle and ideals is a sure way to lose your investment. 

For most people all they care about is whether it makes their life easier in a clear/tangible/practical way.  Without a core utility, no amount of idealism will sell a product.  Thankfully BitShares is brimming with utility and clear advantages that can immediately and significantly change peoples lives.   

Even if you appeal to someones ideals, for the people who need it most, if they can't use your product or don't see a clear utility, the risk is too great to support.  They need utility that is immediately tangible.

People will use your product and see the benefits and only later develop and clarify their own philosophy/ideals and this is what will motivate them to bring it to their family/friends/neighbors.

Market the utility/tangible benefits and cultivate the ideal.

The why can appeal mainstream. I don't intend to push anarchism on the masses.   But if we can tap into instinct and emotion then we will get a higher conversion rate. 
These instincts and emotions that sell a product are not the same as the ones that characterize your philosophy.  (e.g. Sex sells, principle doesn't.)

bitshares is something bigger than bitUSD...
don't take me wrong but the term bitUSD sounds too cheap to me.
It's like promoting in some degree the... past...
bitUSD is the digital mirror of USD and USD is 100% controlled from people that want our slavery(same with euro etc.)...
What if USD loose much of it's present "real" value in the near future because they want it to happen ?
That would mean that bitUSD will follow the decline, so our supporters with bitUSDs on their accounts would be  be "trapped" too.... Why should we follow the old system? Are we really thinking out of the box?
I think we must promote bitAssets in general and we should not promote to much on one of them, like we do right now...
We should promote the ability/option they have on our system/platform to own a basket of different global bitASSETS in a very easy way, knowing that:

1. They are 100% safe.
2. They are taking benefits/rewards for keeping them (Yield etc.)
3. They are liquid (max. 1 month delay)
4. Their privacy is 100% respected (TITAN, crypto etc...)
5. They can easy/fast/cheaply exchange from one bitASSET to another (?)
6. They can transfer/pay easy/fast/secure with minimal fees (goodbye paypal,bitcoin)
7. They can have a mixed bitASSET  portofolio without limits in quantity and value!
8. TAX FREE (what means IRS ?)
9.  ....name it...

...sorry if what I am saying doesn't make sense, maybe it is better I am going to sleep too  :)

I think the real innovation is bitgld.  Just google gold backed digital currency and see what you get.  The world has long sought a safe gold backed digital currency and bitgld is the closest you are going to get to owning and being abe to use the real thing in a trustless, decentralized digital format.  This could be the best way to ease the Peter Schiff's of the world into the idea of digital currency. 

+5% agreed

Offline Helikopterben

• View Profile
bitshares is something bigger than bitUSD...
don't take me wrong but the term bitUSD sounds too cheap to me.
It's like promoting in some degree the... past...
bitUSD is the digital mirror of USD and USD is 100% controlled from people that want our slavery(same with euro etc.)...
What if USD loose much of it's present "real" value in the near future because they want it to happen ?
That would mean that bitUSD will follow the decline, so our supporters with bitUSDs on their accounts would be  be "trapped" too.... Why should we follow the old system? Are we really thinking out of the box?
I think we must promote bitAssets in general and we should not promote to much on one of them, like we do right now...
We should promote the ability/option they have on our system/platform to own a basket of different global bitASSETS in a very easy way, knowing that:

1. They are 100% safe.
2. They are taking benefits/rewards for keeping them (Yield etc.)
3. They are liquid (max. 1 month delay)
4. Their privacy is 100% respected (TITAN, crypto etc...)
5. They can easy/fast/cheaply exchange from one bitASSET to another (?)
6. They can transfer/pay easy/fast/secure with minimal fees (goodbye paypal,bitcoin)
7. They can have a mixed bitASSET  portofolio without limits in quantity and value!
8. TAX FREE (what means IRS ?)
9.  ....name it...

...sorry if what I am saying doesn't make sense, maybe it is better I am going to sleep too  :)

I think the real innovation is bitgld.  Just google gold backed digital currency and see what you get.  The world has long sought a safe gold backed digital currency and bitgld is the closest you are going to get to owning and being abe to use the real thing in a trustless, decentralized digital format.  This could be the best way to ease the Peter Schiff's of the world into the idea of digital currency. 

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

My confidence in Bitshares grows stronger. Emotion, simiplicity and utility.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline 天籁

• View Profile
Great thinking!Thank you,BM.

julian1

Yes, Idealism is what built the early adopter support for Bitcoin. Also, let's not forget the context of concurrent Fed and other countries central bank actions at this time, which was embedded as a comment within the Bitcoin genesis block (The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks).

I suspect there's probably also many people, that understand the reality of debasement, and regulatory capture, and who haven't discovered Bitcoin, because they lack the technical ability or else are put-off by what it's become.

Bitshares with its many improved capabilities has the opportunity to help the lives of these people.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
Saying +5% doesn't even begin to convey how much I appreciate what you said here BM, and I'm with you all the way.

You had me back in April when I first heard you speak, and since then your words have continued to resonate this same, underlying spirit of the mission of freedom, financial as well as personal. I sincerely hope you will cling to this goal and persevere through the difficulties which will certainly come.

Thank you for your service and dedication to freedom.
  +5%

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I think your goals are noble but in the world we live in it's going to take more then noble goals.

JoeyD and myself having been having great discussion's about money being a tool. Money in itself is not evil it is the things people do with it that make it look good or bad. With this thought I would say that many people that have access to this tool in greater abundance are more inclined to use it for "less then noble purpose's".Keeping this logic the goal should be simple, make as much money as possible and then you are in a position to do far more good.

If a platform can be made, that makes ECONOMIC sense to both retailers and users you will be able to grow a real movement and empower your users to make real changes through their new found financial freedom. Morals are great but you can't donate them to your local food bank, setup charities or change the lives of people in need on a large scale. At the end of the day you need money somewhere in the equation. Why not focus on that and give the users the tool's then remind them of their morals.

A builder with no tools will have a very hard time building anything. Its good to know you are a good guy but you are swimming with some real sharks in the finical sector , get some sleep :)   

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Agreed 100% with everything Luckybit has posted. Very, very powerful points in those posts. Utility and "what can it do for me?" is most important first and foremost, and the ideology will inevitably follow...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:53:27 am by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline GaltReport

+5%

Sounds like a plan!

Edit: I do think other approaches/messages are possible as well. Attack from multiple fronts but not necessarily at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:30:34 am by GaltReport »

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Ted vid: "People buy what you believe not how you do it"
http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action#t-55892

bitUSD (or bitassets in general?) could be branded as the alternative to the banking system.  "Opt in to bitUSD, opt in to freedom").  Free yourself, save in bitUSD.  Take control of your money, use bitUSD. etc.  But that brings its own possible side-effects as others have mentioned, so I'm not sure if it should be done.  Perhaps just with a very light touch.

When campaigns (or airdrops?) are targeted to a younger audience a little bit more of ideology could be added in perhaps.

Maybe to investors of BTS a little bit of ideology is ok but to customers/users of bitassets it's better not to.  Does the DAC need a constitutional principle?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:29:32 am by matt608 »