Author Topic: What's the point of keyhotee?  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I get the point, but I just can't get passed the name. Keyhotee is named after Don Quixote, right?  Was he not a crazy delusional fool with good intentions who was laughed at and made fun of until he was tricked into giving up and then dies? Plus the name just seems cheesy. No offense, the concept in its infancy is good, but I don't see this attracting many people with this name.

Kleenex was a non-sense word that grew to be synonymous a whole product category.  Keyhotee is a similar word that will come to represent its own new product category.

In the meantime, we admire the spirit of Don Quixote as embodied in his theme song The Impossible Dream.  We admire his sense of honor and integrity.  We admire his courage in the face of impossible odds, whether imagined or not.  And in our case, we chuckle sadly at the sleeping masses who foolishly imagine that the dragons of our day are merely windmills.   :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline robozombie

• Technoholic
    • View Profile
I get the point, but I just can't get passed the name. Keyhotee is named after Don Quixote, right?  Was he not a crazy delusional fool with good intentions who was laughed at and made fun of until he was tricked into giving up and then dies? Plus the name just seems cheesy. No offense, the concept in its infancy is good, but I don't see this attracting many people with this name.

The Keyhotee name is as meaningful as, say, Google or Yahoo names! What does the name 'Google' says to you? It sounds really funny to me, but let's see... Google is one of the biggest corporations ever - yes! Funny name included! ;) So, if I were you, I wouldn't pick up on the project's name too much, but instead on the development and growth of the same as a DAC.
Robozombie

Ggozzo

Offline bytemaster

Hi Stan,

Excited about Keyhotee, much better spelling it phonetically as you have done, the meaning still stays.
Do you think the new website and branding will be ready before the launch of Keyhotee on new years eve? (same question to bytemaster :)
That would be fantastic if it is!

I have delegated this task to Super3 who will be working on this full time now rather than just part time.   In the interest of decentralizing responsibility Super3 will handle this all as fast as he can and there is little I can do to accelerate it.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Number 1

• View Profile
Hi Stan,

Excited about Keyhotee, much better spelling it phonetically as you have done, the meaning still stays.
Do you think the new website and branding will be ready before the launch of Keyhotee on new years eve? (same question to bytemaster :)
That would be fantastic if it is!
PTS: Pj8UH9ExVidcFd4LKtEgPSrwrtpYhPhug8

Offline robozombie

• Technoholic
    • View Profile
I think that's pretty cool, Stan. It goes to show it's a very meaningful project!
Robozombie

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
The difference between Keyhotee and everything else:  Ease of Use by Design.

1) I2P is great for what it does, but the economics of the system are wrong.   
2) Keyhotee will form a Darknet automatically, 0 configuration from users required.
3) TOR suffers from relying on 'donation economics' which doesn't scale and thus poor performance.
4) Currently, most web content is hosted in a centralized manner.  A single company can take down the content.
5) PGP is too hard to use, not a good standard and provides poor security due to tendency to 'not use it' or user error.

Bottom line, computers existed prior to Apple, but the Macintosh changed everything.  Ease of use matters and is something that cryptography has not yet achieved.

Don't you think it's very ambitious for a team of four, or there's more going on behind the scene?

https://github.com/InvictusInnovations/keyhotee/graphs/contributors

About the phonetics of Keyhotee: for example, for Spanish speakers, it sounds almost like 'Quijote' (derived from the name of the main character of Miguel de Cervantes' landmark novel The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha). I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I like the Keyhotee name  ;D.

It was chosen on purpose to refer to Don Quixote.  Most english speakers do not know how to spell or pronounce Quixote.

It'd sound something like Keyhawttih (With the strong part of the intonation in bold. That's the closest sound to Spanish there is for the word 'Quijote'. The Quixote word is part of the Old version of Spanish language. There's 'México', but the 'x' in that word sounds in a different way in Modern Spanish. That 'x' represents this old language today,though).

The artwork at invictus-innovations.com/keyhotee/ carries a ton of profound meaning for those familiar with the seminal works of Cervantes and Tolkein.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline robozombie

• Technoholic
    • View Profile

2) Keyhotee will form a Darknet automatically, 0 configuration from users required.
3) TOR suffers from relying on 'donation economics' which doesn't scale and thus poor performance.
4) Currently, most web content is hosted in a centralized manner.  A single company can take down the content.
5) PGP is too hard to use, not a good standard and provides poor security due to tendency to 'not use it' or user error.

Bottom line, computers existed prior to Apple, but the Macintosh changed everything.  Ease of use matters and is something that cryptography has not yet achieved.

Don't you think it's very ambitious for a team of four, or there's more going on behind the scene?

About the phonetics of Keyhotee: for example, for Spanish speakers, it sounds almost like 'Quijote' (derived from the name of the main character of Miguel de Cervantes' landmark novel The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha). I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I like the Keyhotee name  ;D.

It was chosen on purpose to refer to Don Quixote.  Most english speakers do not know how to spell or pronounce Quixote.

It'd sound something like Keyhawttih (With the strong part of the intonation in bold. That's the closest sound to Spanish there is for the word 'Quijote'. The Quixote word is part of the Old version of Spanish language. There's 'México', but the 'x' in that word sounds in a different way in Modern Spanish. That 'x' represents this old language today,though).
Robozombie

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline robozombie

• Technoholic
    • View Profile

Robozombie

Offline bytemaster

To stay on topic: Let me say first that I don't like the name "Keyhotee". Maybe for native english speakers it makes sense in a way... in many other languages it's just like "what?", unlike "Google", "Yahoo" or even "Microsoft" or "Facebook". - But ok, the name shouldn't be the most important thing about it (even if it kind of is if we talk about mass-appeal).
I have to correct myself a bit according to this I think. Maybe "Keyhotee" will be the new "Google", which sounded silly, too.
So in the end - maybe - the name and it's pronunciation don't matter that much.

I'm a little slow on the uptake on some things around I.I.I.
After seeing the Keyhotee video by bytemaster ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZaTdEtK-8 ) I once again have more questions.
It all sounds a little "too big" to me. The whole 13 minutes I thought "yes, that all makes sense". But the question is: isn't there anything like this already?
Hasn't anybody had the idea to solve those problems about passwords, accounts, et cetera before? Or is there but nobody got attention yet?
It seems like Keyhotee really is something like "the next generation internet" - but why does it take "some company from the countryside" to invent/create something like this "out of the blue"?
I mean there are smart people in the computer industry (and everywhere else) and it is 2013 already.
Do you really think and expect that Keyhotee will be "the new http://" ?
That would be a revolution. Could it be it started "around here" in this forum and with just a few people aware of it's existence?
I mean there's just 1300 people who watched the youtube video above.
Are all of us here really part of something that big?
Frankly I cannot believe it and think maybe I'm missing some important part.

This missing ingredient was the decentralized key database that could scale to support billions of users along with BitMessage style communication.  These are both less than 1 year old and the ramifications will take care of the rest.   I do believe that decentralized technologies will replace every major aspect of the internet over the next 15 years.

Offline Gekko

• Lunch is for wimps........ Greed is good.
    • View Profile
To stay on topic: Let me say first that I don't like the name "Keyhotee". Maybe for native english speakers it makes sense in a way... in many other languages it's just like "what?", unlike "Google", "Yahoo" or even "Microsoft" or "Facebook". - But ok, the name shouldn't be the most important thing about it (even if it kind of is if we talk about mass-appeal).
I have to correct myself a bit according to this I think. Maybe "Keyhotee" will be the new "Google", which sounded silly, too.
So in the end - maybe - the name and it's pronunciation don't matter that much.

I'm a little slow on the uptake on some things around I.I.I.
After seeing the Keyhotee video by bytemaster ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZaTdEtK-8 ) I once again have more questions.
It all sounds a little "too big" to me. The whole 13 minutes I thought "yes, that all makes sense". But the question is: isn't there anything like this already?
Hasn't anybody had the idea to solve those problems about passwords, accounts, et cetera before? Or is there but nobody got attention yet?
It seems like Keyhotee really is something like "the next generation internet" - but why does it take "some company from the countryside" to invent/create something like this "out of the blue"?
I mean there are smart people in the computer industry (and everywhere else) and it is 2013 already.
Do you really think and expect that Keyhotee will be "the new http://" ?
That would be a revolution. Could it be it started "around here" in this forum and with just a few people aware of it's existence?
I mean there's just 1300 people who watched the youtube video above.
Are all of us here really part of something that big?
Frankly I cannot believe it and think maybe I'm missing some important part.

Offline bytemaster

BitShares are going to need a wallet so they might as well make a fully featured one.
Let's all hope it doesn't get bloated. I'm more with the Unix philosophy "Write programs that do one thing and do it well."
(I'm thinking about a media player in Keyhotee and stuff like that... Heaven forbid! :) )

Keyhotee will have a client/server architecture locally (like bitcoind) which will allow people to build different user interfaces on top of the core code.

Offline Gekko

• Lunch is for wimps........ Greed is good.
    • View Profile
BitShares are going to need a wallet so they might as well make a fully featured one.
Let's all hope it doesn't get bloated. I'm more with the Unix philosophy "Write programs that do one thing and do it well."
(I'm thinking about a media player in Keyhotee and stuff like that... Heaven forbid! :) )