Author Topic: Upgrading bitcoin  (Read 13128 times)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
An attack on Bitcoin doesn't transfer Bitcoins value to the upgrade, it destroys Bitcoins value so it's a worthless attack for the attacker. It's basic human psychology.

sumantso

I prefer a stealth attack where BitBTC poses as friend, starts getting used interchangeably with Bitcoin, and slowly captures part of the marketcap (channeling it into BTS).

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Using DPOS inflation to essentially force a Bitcoin hard fork is a brilliant idea.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Our greatest accomplishment so far is vitalik telling me "if you bribe existing miners with some quantity of BTC that definitely will work too."

Source?

zerosum

Try contacting the Rand Paul DPOS coin dev or the aphaBar's team devs.

Both are familiar with the DPOS toolkit, apparently. And not too many are familiar with the toolkit, outside of the I3 team, it seems.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:39:08 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Some of you might have seen the giant post I made a couple of days ago, describing how BTS could essentially "attack" and acquire bitcoins' market cap. I since deleted the post because I realized the bitshares community shouldn't have to deal with the potential negative fallout from such an action. The superior idea of using a new, dedicated blockchain to perform the attack was also brought up, which is clearly better because it allows it to be framed as an upgrade (which it is) rather than a attack by a seperate community.

Now I'm back with version 2 of the strategy, having solved the earlier flaws that some bitcoin developers pointed out. The grand plan is to upgrade bitcoin to a dual chain POW/DPOS hybrid with an 18 million absolute hard cap and all the features of the bitshares toolkit. If you found the idea interesting then you can read this reddit post for a breakdown of the new upgrade strategy: http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinUpgrade/comments/2mlkn5/how_and_what/

Currently we're just a tiny amount of people involved in this. No matter who you are, if you find the idea interesting or exciting, then you're very welcome to join us. We do not yet have a developer that would be capable of creating a genesis block with the bitshares toolkit, but before we hire one we need to see what kind of interest there actually is. Luckily the development required for our strategy is only that + creating a future hard fork with a new genesis block in it, so it is not vital that we get a superstar developer. Someone able to understand and proficiently use the bitshares toolkit is enough.

Our greatest accomplishment so far is vitalik telling me "if you bribe existing miners with some quantity of BTC that definitely will work too.". Next step is to create a simple video that explains the reddit post i linked in a more digestible way.