Author Topic: The end of POW approaches...  (Read 10386 times)

Offline nz

• View Profile
So two fantastic things are happening LTC is bringing itself within reach and POW as a whole is clearly dying.
So passing LTC will make us look very strong indeed.

This is great news and a good point. Cant wait until we overtake LTC and move into 3rd place.
The whole PTS thing was before i got involved, but from my point of view i would like see BTS gain value and hopefully that would bring PTS along with it.
"There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose"

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Whether or not these are just reflective of the ideas expressed in the proposals, the problem is that myself and I assume many others were under the impression that what the  second sharedrop to PTS and AGS was for was to ultimately buy out PTS and AGS for their features (including having BTS be the new sharedrop target for third parties as well). I was here all through the merger fiasco and not once did I think things would turn out like this, because it wasn't clearly communicated. I can almost guarantee there are many of us who would have strongly opposed the 14% sharedrop inflation to PTS and AGS if we would've known that PTS was gonna continue competing against us and steal resources/spotlight/community etc.

PTS is not a competitor to BTS and certainly nobody is "stealing resources" (that's not how open source software works). They are completely different tokens directed towards different applications. BTS is a feature-rich DAC that is intended to disrupt a variety of industries, while PTS is a DAC-agnostic sharedrop token that could never compete with BTS on features or development. No crypto-coin in history has EVER been displaced by a copycat clone or a token with a subset of its features. Other DACs will exist whether we want them to or not. PTS ensures that we get a stake in all of those tokens, many of which will be doing things that BTS doesn't desire to do (see Music for example). It is true that 3rd party DACs (not PTS) will compete with Bitshares and that some of them may be successful despite our wishes. PTS ensures that we own a stake in those tokens too. It is not a zero-sum game. We are not losing anything by holding both the vanilla DPoS sharedrop token (PTS) and the Ferrari of DACs (BTS). Killing one will not increase the value of the other, but having them both will probably lead to some synergy. This is the same reason why Toyota created Lexus, Honda created Acura, etc, etc, etc. They are directed towards different applications (not competitors), and yet they both promote the same underlying technology (DPoS).

Excellent words. The recent animosity towards PTS has given me a very sour taste in my mouth towards the mob mentality in the bitshares community. It feels all-too reminiscent of the tribalism you see over on the Nxt forum whenever you mention BTS.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
PTS is not a competitor to BTS and certainly nobody is "stealing resources" (that's not how open source software works). They are completely different tokens directed towards different applications. BTS is a feature-rich DAC that is intended to disrupt a variety of industries, while PTS is a DAC-agnostic sharedrop token that could never compete with BTS on features or development. No crypto-coin in history has EVER been displaced by a copycat clone or a token with a subset of its features. Other DACs will exist whether we want them to or not. PTS ensures that we get a stake in all of those tokens, many of which will be doing things that BTS doesn't desire to do (see Music for example). It is true that 3rd party DACs (not PTS) will compete with Bitshares and that some of them may be successful despite our wishes. PTS ensures that we own a stake in those tokens too. It is not a zero-sum game. We are not losing anything by holding both the vanilla DPoS sharedrop token (PTS) and the Ferrari of DACs (BTS). Killing one will not increase the value of the other, but having them both will probably lead to some synergy. This is the same reason why Toyota created Lexus, Honda created Acura, etc, etc, etc. They are directed towards different applications (not competitors), and yet they both promote the same underlying technology (DPoS).

well said  +5%

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile

Whether or not these are just reflective of the ideas expressed in the proposals, the problem is that myself and I assume many others were under the impression that what the  second sharedrop to PTS and AGS was for was to ultimately buy out PTS and AGS for their features (including having BTS be the new sharedrop target for third parties as well). I was here all through the merger fiasco and not once did I think things would turn out like this, because it wasn't clearly communicated. I can almost guarantee there are many of us who would have strongly opposed the 14% sharedrop inflation to PTS and AGS if we would've known that PTS was gonna continue competing against us and steal resources/spotlight/community etc.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Yes please let PTS die like it should have. We paid millions during the merger so PTS should no longer be included in anything. I am confident that the shareholders are going to revolt against anyone supporting PTS through sharedrops.

What you are implying (that the merger was a "buyout") is simply a distortion of some early draft proposals. Stan and Dan have both consistently stated that PTS and the social consensus will live on. This anti-diversity view is bizarre and hurtful to BTS, which depends on the success of DPoS to gain wide adoption. We, as a community, should be glad to own the most advanced crypto-coin (BTS) PLUS a share in all future DPoS implementations (via AGS/PTS and the social consensus).

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Yes please let PTS die like it should have. We paid millions during the merger so PTS should no longer be included in anything. I am confident that the shareholders are going to revolt against anyone supporting PTS through sharedrops.

What you are implying (that the merger was a "buyout") is simply a distortion of some early draft proposals. Stan and Dan have both consistently stated that PTS and the social consensus will live on. This anti-diversity view is bizarre and hurtful to BTS, which depends on the success of DPoS to gain wide adoption. We, as a community, should be glad to own the most advanced crypto-coin (BTS) PLUS a share in all future DPoS implementations (via AGS/PTS and the social consensus).
I must agree that what you are saying make sense...

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Sell your PTS, buy some BTS, and release your video. :P

+5% We all need to be on the same team for this to be extremely successful.

By analogy, I think it's fine for shareholders to have positions in and support multiple companies and even direct competitors.

But I don't think it's OK to give 33% equity to a competitor in anything without shareholder approval though. Especially, when said shareholders have just paid a fortune to buy out said competitor.

I'm with you both on this. Leave PTS behind and focus on building this (BitShares) ecosystem.

I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

Sharedrops are given to the owners/customers of a competitor, not to the competitor. 
This is a valid concept that may or may not entice some of them away from the competitor.
(It hasn't really been tried yet except in some ancient discussion about DNS sharedropping on Namecoin users.)

In the case of DevShares, its intended customer base is DPOS developers and ecosystem partners, including those who may prefer the new PTS positioning as a "neutral" share drop target.  So naturally its sharedrop should be engineered to attract such customers wherever we can find them.  The only other airdroppable source of potential DPOS customers is PLAY and MUSIC.  I can see advantages to trying to motivate their developers to use the same test chain as well.  Standardization, cross-pollination of ideas, more testing on common code modules and continued code compatibility testing come to mind.

Many advantages, come to think of it.
  Hmmmm....

Now. That is thinking BIG.   +5%
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

By analogy, I think it's fine for shareholders to have positions in and support multiple companies and even direct competitors.

But I don't think it's OK to give 33% equity to a competitor in anything without shareholder approval though. Especially, when said shareholders have just paid a fortune to buy out said competitor.

I'm with you both on this. Leave PTS behind and focus on building this (BitShares) ecosystem.

Offline Pheonike

Sharedrops are given to the owners/customers of a competitor, not to the competitor. 
This is a valid concept that may or may not entice some of them away from the competitor.
(It hasn't really been tried yet except in some ancient discussion about DNS sharedropping on Namecoin users.)

In the case of DevShares, its intended customer base is DPOS developers and ecosystem partners, including those who may prefer the new PTS positioning as a "neutral" share drop target.  So naturally its sharedrop should be engineered to attract such customers wherever we can find them.  The only other airdroppable source of potential DPOS customers is PLAY and MUSIC.  I can see advantages to trying to motivate their developers to use the same test chain as well.  Standardization, cross-pollination of ideas, more testing on common code modules and continued code compatibility testing come to mind.

Many advantages, come to think of it.  Hmmmm....
If other developers have chosen dpos to use for their project then they have shown that they are interested in developing dpos. Assuming they open source their code then we can can evaluate it and decide if its worth adding to bts. If they don't open source it then they don't have an interest in helping bts anyway.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

BTS literally just paid millions of dollars to absorb PTS 39 days prior. I highly doubt they attracted many DPOS customers in 39 days and they have like 3 developers.

As it was something that effects BTS, done without shareholder consent & in favour of a competitor or customers of a competitor they feel they had just absorbed,  I'm pretty confident it will be overturned.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:56:59 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi