Author Topic: In preparations for the "big" announcement  (Read 14155 times)

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
So much is demanded by so many it is clear that this group is impossible to please.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I can buy DOGE too, but that doesn't mean it will ever be worth anything.

That's true.  Where lies the true value in any crypto or in Bitshares?  There are two core value propositions....

1. Improved efficiency, security & transparency of transactions across a network.  This is useful for everyone, including existing centralized organisations.
2. The ability for every constituent of a network to be able to enforce a set of rules to which they have consented and entrusted their communications/finances.

What mechanisms currently protect a BTS user's communications/finances?

Open source software – transparent, constantly reviewed code
Easily forkable – replicate a desirable version of the code base followed by a migration of the network participants (in which the value of the network resides) 
Decentralised ledger – multiple copies of secure, transparent, identical information
Voting – network participants may vote to remove any bad actor in a position of trust or authority (a delegate selectively or failing to produce blocks) etc.

Bitshares is the only crypto project that is attempting to provide comprehensive markets that are completely decentralized with the power of consensus firmly in the hands of the network participants.  The monster value which will take Bitshares to the moon once the kinks are ironed out is right here.  The ideal and adherence to it whilst the work is being done is what makes this project valuable, the current market simply does not yet understand that because it requires staggering levels of innovation and seeing a version of the world that does not yet exist.  We all need to hold the line.... 'time not important, only life important.'

Offline karnal

• View Profile
My biggest technical concern is how buggy the client still seems to be. As I pointed out in the 0.9.0 feedback thread, moving my wallet to a new system was a two day odyssey where the blockchain stopped syncing several times and unlocking the wallet would not work.

Someone in another thread suggested running the bitshares console client to sync, because apparently this yields better results.
Of course, that is unacceptable. Imagine that being a new users' first experience.. doesn't exactly inspire confidence!

Another thing is that the wallet is very heavy. On a quad core with 2GB of RAM (virtual machine - 2GB RAM *just* for BitShares GUI), the UI lags. Clicking on 'exchange' takes about two seconds to register, for instance. The program feels very heavy. I don't think it's actually doing so much (especially on a system with such generous specs) to warrant being so slow.

Non technical concerns include misleading/incomplete/outdated documentation. We need someone who's willing to step up and correct the technical errors in the documentation. After that there should be some spellchecking, for there are many such errors in the wiki as well.

This is especially true with all the new proposed rules. I don't even understand anymore if BitAssets will still return interest, for many people of course that's one of the benefits..

And lastly, there seems to not be too much interest in privacy features; Namely, there is still no proxy support as we approach 1.0, and to my knowledge the official faucet is still registering accounts without TITAN. Which means most users' finances are now on the internet for the whole world to see. And I don't think they realize that.

That's all I can think of right now. Even with all these things I still see great potential in this, and it works so well together with other cryptocurrencies as well. When people realize they can safely hold value in BitUSD (as far as $ stability goes, of course) while they want to be sure their BTC or WhateverCoin won't be dropping in value .. BitShares really is a game changer I think, in more than this aspect.

But as it stands now, I cannot recommend it to people I know. The wallet is so slow (and yeah I know, online wallet, but then you're trusting your money to a 3rd party, no?) and buggy it would be an instant turn-off.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I can buy DOGE too, but that doesn't mean it will ever be worth anything.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Absolutely.....power is decentralized enough to ensure consensus always acts in the interests of the majority of network participants.  That mechanism protects one's financial freedom if you have 1 or 1 million BTS.
.. and that's why it is nice to see cheap shares ..

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
+5% , We have no power at all
I have power .. just because I have >0 BTS shares in BTS ..
It's like democracy .. even if you feel your vote doesn't count, the opinion of the mass does count!
Absolutely.....power is decentralized enough to ensure consensus always acts in the interests of the majority of network participants.  That mechanism protects one's financial freedom if you have 1 or 1 million BTS.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I have power .. just because I have >0 BTS shares in BTS ..
It's like democracy .. even if you feel your vote doesn't count, the opinion of the mass does count!

Offline helloworld

• View Profile
@xeroc: +5%

Everybody else in this thread: +5%

Even if we did have a unanimous vote/Poll on new features (or just one feature like blockchain-based HR), we, as shareholders have no power at all to make our "President" do anything. Downvoting him is dumb since he's actually coding (I think), but swaying *what* gets coded... pffft

Every line of code should be visible. I've had it with the "big" announcements and all these amazing "business contacts" their PR expert is allegedly getting us. You guys are way more patient than I am.

Show me employee accountability and I'll stay here.

BTS:bts-hero

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
@xeroc: +5%

Everybody else in this thread: +5%

Even if we did have a unanimous vote/Poll on new features (or just one feature like blockchain-based HR), we, as shareholders have no power at all to make our "President" do anything. Downvoting him is dumb since he's actually coding (I think), but swaying *what* gets coded... pffft

Every line of code should be visible. I've had it with the "big" announcements and all these amazing "business contacts" their PR expert is allegedly getting us. You guys are way more patient than I am.

Show me employee accountability and I'll stay here.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

jakub

It all hinges on the User eXperience. I am very uneasy about this. The team has not demonstrated the innovation and rate of improvement of frontend (UI) development compared with that of the infrastructure / backend. It clearly isn't where their passion lives. However, BM is heading up an exceptional team, and he realizes the importance and difficulty of creating a solid, positive UX.

I've always been impressed with the design of the client. Are you referring to the fact that the client is laggy and buggy?

The client being laggy and buggy (and also not refreshing automatically) is a separate issue.

For me there are three main issues with the UX:

1. The voting process is complicated and unnecessarily split into two stages: first you you operate on the thumbs up/down level and then you need to remember to actually apply the vote in each of your accounts. For me that's confusing and unintuitive and I never know whom I currently support. There should be a wizard that guides you through the whole process and clearly shows you the end result.

2. When you do anything more complex than simple transfers (e.g. creating bid/ask order or shorting bit-assets) lots of virtual/internal transactions show up on the list of your recent transactions which are totally inexplicable for less advanced users. By default they should be hidden from view and only shown when you ask for more details.

3. Switching between different accounts is inconsistent: in most cases it takes you to the details of the newly selected account but sometimes it just updates the data below (e.g. when you are on the market page).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:41:18 am by jakub »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I guess bm will not answer any questions.However,I really want he will.
He (or any other core dev) will not answer them here .. but directly in (or next to) the announcement thread ..
Though, he may focus on the technical questions, and not answer "when are we going to the moon"-kind of questions

Offline Krills

• View Profile
I guess bm will not answer any questions.However,I really want he will.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
It all hinges on the User eXperience. I am very uneasy about this. The team has not demonstrated the innovation and rate of improvement of frontend (UI) development compared with that of the infrastructure / backend. It clearly isn't where their passion lives. However, BM is heading up an exceptional team, and he realizes the importance and difficulty of creating a solid, positive UX.

I've always been impressed with the design of the client. Are you referring to the fact that the client is laggy and buggy?

jakub

I still believe BM has more integrity than that and he will not acquiesce to KYC & AML pressures.
I just don't get why people want more of the same things in BitShares that already exist in the mainstream, things which are proven to be more centralized, manipulated, corruptible and wealth sucking. If you want those things go back to the mainstream financial world!
That's a bit strange to hear it because I have not seen a single person on this forum pushing for this. What KYC & AML pressures are you referring to?
The line defined by BM seems to be clear and (I think) generally accepted by everyone: only UIA and gateways will have the ability to be KYC & AML compliant (so it's optional, not obligatory), everything else stays under the principle of full privacy and freedom.

+5% That's exactly how I see it.
After the back-end stuff for 1.0 is finished I think it's worth delaying the release 2 or 3 weeks and concentrate all efforts just on the UX.
It'll be a shame if we end up with a superior product hidden under bad packaging.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
That is reassuring. Thank u Toast