Author Topic: Announcing BitShares 2.0  (Read 45060 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Are there any prints of the GUI? I'm very curious. A small, basic video, just messing around and showing the tabs or voting would be nice to share around
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Let's rephrase the question then,

what kind of "proof of uniqueness" is required?
none ..

It just doesn't make sense to try to abuse the system by referring to your own newly created accounts .. because they do not produce income for you

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
Our user demographic would never spend money to try a new tech :/

It is really rather simple to finance things to get the funds.    Unfortunately, without required centralized ID verification there is no way to "give" samples away to new users.

Why would a person want to undergo an ID verification to try a demo of bitshares ?
Or do you mean  the company raising funds in large sums for this purpose ?

I mean it is a technical limitation of decentralized systems that without "proof of uniqueness" or "proof of work" the "free samples" given away will be sybil attacked and fail.   Bitcoin's referral program was proof of work... but now it has been abused.

What kind of ID verification is required?

Let's rephrase the question then,

what kind of "proof of uniqueness" is required?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
no ID verification is required to use BitShares ..

ID verification may be required to use "some" User-Issued assets ..
If there was ID verification, sending out free samples to attract people would be possible ..
that's the reason we now have the more sophisticated referral program to attract people instead

Offline merivercap

• View Profile
    • BitCash
Our user demographic would never spend money to try a new tech :/

It is really rather simple to finance things to get the funds.    Unfortunately, without required centralized ID verification there is no way to "give" samples away to new users.

Why would a person want to undergo an ID verification to try a demo of bitshares ?
Or do you mean  the company raising funds in large sums for this purpose ?

I mean it is a technical limitation of decentralized systems that without "proof of uniqueness" or "proof of work" the "free samples" given away will be sybil attacked and fail.   Bitcoin's referral program was proof of work... but now it has been abused.

BitCash - http://www.bitcash.org 
Beta: bitCash Wallet / p2p Gateway: (https://m.bitcash.org)
Beta: bitCash Trade (https://trade.bitcash.org)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
reddit post seems it was removed. even if it was by the owner, major fuck up if you ask me. Why do you insist on post stuff on bitcoin sub reddit, post on other decentralized and crypto related subs. not there...

congrats
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline onceuponatime

whats DOA means?

i buy a quad processor for dig sparkles

DOA:  dead on arrival

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
whats DOA means?

i buy a quad processor for dig sparkles
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
and whats up with sparkles is waiting 1.0  :o

I wanted my sparkles. :(

Offline mint chocolate chip

guess they will miss the train  ;D

Sparkle was originally intended to be PoW, not DPOS. That was the whole point: bitshares functionality on a PoW chain.

Something tells me Sparkle is DOA.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

guess they will miss the train  ;D
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
that means no traditional marketing methods would even work (like google ads)

nope, I think this referral program is a waste of time :<

You're worried that a referrer will have to run a full node, create a transaction on the user's behalf, get the user to sign it and return the signed tx, then broadcast the tx.

We realized this would be a problem soon after the initial design of the referral system, and we have a solution.  That's what the registrar is for.  Essentially we split the referral role into two parts:  the referrer can be a traditional internet marketer, all they have to do is get the user to click a link to some hosted wallet with ?r=youraccount.  The operator of the hosted wallet is a registrar who takes care of all the hard blockchain stuff.  The referrer and registrar split the commission (and the split doesn't have to be 50-50, any percentage is possible at the blockchain level.)

Any good marketer who can collect users can be their own registrar and get 100% of the commission, but marketers may not want to deal with the technology headaches of being a registrar.

By making it easy for them to split their commissions, any marketer (referrer) can partner with any technologist (registrar) and maximize their value because both are focused on their specialty instead of trying to simultaneously master both marketing and technology.

The official hosted wallet website will function as a registrar based on ?r= parameter on incoming links, but competing registrars will almost certainly spring up.  The free market should allow opportunity for a variety of cooperative and competitive relationships to form.

I should also note that payouts are based on income and vest for some time, which greatly mitigates a variety of potential referral abuses.

thank you! that's much better than my initial thoughts on it.

@bitsapphire moonstone needs this!

Offline theoretical

that means no traditional marketing methods would even work (like google ads)

nope, I think this referral program is a waste of time :<

You're worried that a referrer will have to run a full node, create a transaction on the user's behalf, get the user to sign it and return the signed tx, then broadcast the tx.

We realized this would be a problem soon after the initial design of the referral system, and we have a solution.  That's what the registrar is for.  Essentially we split the referral role into two parts:  the referrer can be a traditional internet marketer, all they have to do is get the user to click a link to some hosted wallet with ?r=youraccount.  The operator of the hosted wallet is a registrar who takes care of all the hard blockchain stuff.  The referrer and registrar split the commission (and the split doesn't have to be 50-50, any percentage is possible at the blockchain level.)

Any good marketer who can collect users can be their own registrar and get 100% of the commission, but marketers may not want to deal with the technology headaches of being a registrar.

By making it easy for them to split their commissions, any marketer (referrer) can partner with any technologist (registrar) and maximize their value because both are focused on their specialty instead of trying to simultaneously master both marketing and technology.

The official hosted wallet website will function as a registrar based on ?r= parameter on incoming links, but competing registrars will almost certainly spring up.  The free market should allow opportunity for a variety of cooperative and competitive relationships to form.

I should also note that payouts are based on income and vest for some time, which greatly mitigates a variety of potential referral abuses.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I love that the new client will be an entirely broswer based wallet.  This will greatly reduce the barrier to entry.

At present, its very easy for me to have a bitcoin wallet at blockchain.org, or a dogecoin wallet at dogechain, or whatever.  But having a Bitshares wallet was very difficult, required me to update the client, took a long time to sync the blockchain, and hogged my computer resources when I ran it. 

This will be a MASSIVE upgrade to usability.

The new client architecture is much easier to work with as well, and having built-in websocket support makes everything so much cleaner. Instead of constantly polling for updates we can now simply subscribe to updates for an account or a market, and get instant notifications whenever something happens. It's pure gold :)

We've also switched to using React instead of Angular so the new wallet will be much much faster.

SVK has made a HUGE contribution to the GUI that is as big as any other core developer.   Thank you SVK for joining the team and helping make the new UI better than ever!

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█