Author Topic: What is Bitshares really doing marketing wise?  (Read 7779 times)

BitEnthusiast

Article on Dynamic vs Static sites:

https://rocketmedia.com/blog/static-vs-dynamic-websites

I mean to each it's own if you guys feel static is the way to go, then so be it. My input or what will become my expertise is not needed.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
for example tickr.com site style was AFAIK our 3th or 4th site design a year ago! This design is more 2014 then 2015 ..

Anyway .. bitshares.org should be informative not flashy .. and much more important .. the devs should be able to easily maintain site!
Current site is a static blog framework .. jekyll .. really fast …and maintainable directly with markdown via github ...

We tried it with bootstrap,zurb, wordpress etc... but jekyll is IMO by far the most easliy maintable site framework .. my 2 cents
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

jakub

If we are to go into more fancy design, for me these two are good benchmarks:
(1) Blocknet - both elegant and informative.
(2) Qora - has recently put a lot of effort into web design but maybe it's overdone, I'm not sure.
(It's a bit strange because they have this fancy website and at the same time their wallet is quite the opposite, it looks like a proof-of-concept prototype - but I guess they will take care of it soon)

Offline EstefanTT

I think we need to go with what's trending.
But maybe the *actual* trend is that people are fed up with flashy sites without substance.
The current bitshares.org deign is stable, solid and informative - and that's the way to go if we want organic growth.
[/quote

Also that !

+5% +5%]
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline EstefanTT

Just take a look at behance.com and look through the web design, ui/ux categories.

Here's a link to an article published on TheNextWeb. I think we need to go with what's trending. The trend is your friend:

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/07/24/6-design-trends-taking-over-the-web/

Also take a look at the Tickr open data platform website on your phone and on your computer. Pay attention to the UI/UX and not the product.

tickr.com

IMHO this is the direction we need to go in. Simplicity in design and user experience is key in todays mobile sites, websites, software, and mobile applications. Notice how most websites, mobile sites, and software are similar to mobile apps.

I couldn't get tickr.com to load, and I think bitshares.org is as good if not better than behance.  I know the new trend is to use a bunch of flash and expanding menus, but I believe that clutters many web pages.  We are trying to convey a message that our platform is robust, clean, and efficient.  The people we are trying to get to build around our technology don't need flash and pizzazz, they need consistency and reliability.  I believe the current bitshares.org website does this very well.

I completely agree !!!

I love the new website. The structure, the design and the content are IMHO perfectly aligned with the message of BitAshares.

More flashy, coloured and funny design will appear for teenagers, gamers, old people, ... with 3rd parties as BitShares grow.

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

jakub

I think we need to go with what's trending.
But maybe the *actual* trend is that people are fed up with flashy sites without substance.
The current bitshares.org deign is stable, solid and informative - and that's the way to go if we want organic growth.

BitEnthusiast

Just take a look at behance.com and look through the web design, ui/ux categories.

Here's a link to an article published on TheNextWeb. I think we need to go with what's trending. The trend is your friend:

Also take a look at the Tickr open data platform website on your phone and on your computer. Pay attention to the UI/UX and not the product.

tickr.com

IMHO this is the direction we need to go in. Simplicity in design and user experience is key in todays mobile sites, websites, software, and mobile applications. Notice how most websites, mobile sites, and software are similar to mobile apps.

I couldn't get tickr.com to load, and I think bitshares.org is as good if not better than behance.  I know the new trend is to use a bunch of flash and expanding menus, but I believe that clutters many web pages.  We are trying to convey a message that our platform is robust, clean, and efficient.  The people we are trying to get to build around our technology don't need flash and pizzazz, they need consistency and reliability.  I believe the current bitshares.org website does this very well.

I have to disagree. The trend is simple, minimalist, flat design styles, most sites don't use flash design. I think that those design styles do convey a clean and efficient platform. I think the people we are trying to get to build around our tech is everybody. The back-end may be consistent and reliable, but what about the front end? UI/UX is about communication. How could we tell Bitshares story with a outdated design? Did you look in the categories and not the behance website itself?

This goes back to having 3rd parties develop wallets.  Currently limewallet, web wallet, and desktop wallet are the only versions available.  Soon moonstone will be released as another wallet.  It will be up to 3rd parties to design wallets to attract users.  They will get paid via referral fees that are automatically credited to their accounts for every transaction that their referred user makes.

The bitshares GUI that is in development is actually designed to be phased out of use as 3rd party solutions grow in numbers.  This may not happen for years, so extra time is being spent on the wallet by cryptonomex to ensure that it is responsive and attractive.

If you feel that the wallets are unattractive, then that is an opportunity that you can capitalize on.  Create a wallet design that you feel is better than everyone else's.  If the market thinks yours is the best you will attract the most users and benefit from referral fees of every transaction your wallet user makes.

tickr.com

I have to disagree. The trend is simple, minimalist, flat design styles, most sites don't use flash design. I think that those design styles do convey a clean and efficient platform. I think the people we are trying to get to build around our tech is everybody. The back-end may be consistent and reliable, but what about the front end? UI/UX is about communication. How could we tell Bitshares story with a outdated design? Did you look in the categories and not the behance website itself?

This goes back to having 3rd parties develop wallets.  Currently limewallet, web wallet, and desktop wallet are the only versions available.  Soon moonstone will be released as another wallet.  It will be up to 3rd parties to design wallets to attract users.  They will get paid via referral fees that are automatically credited to their accounts for every transaction that their referred user makes.

The bitshares GUI that is in development is actually designed to be phased out of use as 3rd party solutions grow in numbers.  This may not happen for years, so extra time is being spent on the wallet by cryptonomex to ensure that it is responsive and attractive.

If you feel that the wallets are unattractive, then that is an opportunity that you can capitalize on.  Create a wallet design that you feel is better than everyone else's.  If the market thinks yours is the best you will attract the most users and benefit from referral fees of every transaction your wallet user makes.

tickr.com

I will definitely take this into consideration. I also plan on taking up a Bachelors of Science degree in Internet Marketing in the near future, ever since the writing of this post. I want Bithsares and cryptocurrency to reach mass adoption and I truly believe that a simple way to communicate is key.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

tickr.com

BitEnthusiast

tickr.com

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

tickr.com

BitEnthusiast

tickr.com

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:53:15 pm by BitEnthusiast »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I know site has been re-designed a few times but will it be done again to match with the graphene gui? I don't know, it could feel more dynamic. The current one looks too static.
The current one is a jekyll static page and was intended to be as "static" as possible .. What "dynamic" elements does it need?

Don't you find it difficult to navigate through webpages that changed all 6 months? I really like the structure of bts.org it currently has .. but of course .. constructive criticism is always welcome.

jakub

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I know site has been re-designed a few times but will it be done again to match with the graphene gui? I don't know, it could feel more dynamic. The current one looks too static.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The graphene user interface snapshots still look outdated to me imho. Do not get User Experience mixed up with User Interface, while the GUI might be responsive (UX) and may be beautiful (UI) to some consumers and costumers may disagree. The objective is to appeal to all users and be easy enough to use for a 10 year old.
Usability is an expensive thing to optimise .. take a look at Microsoft .. they have billions of $ and stick suck at this.
The Graphene UI is designed after "traditional" exchanges .. and open source .. if you feel you can do better I encourage you to do so!
If you succeed and people prefer your wallet you can make a lot of money from referrals ..