Author Topic: Maker sharedrop on the BitShares community  (Read 25352 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
No one got to sell their AGS.
Plus .. there is not a single AGS *investor* .. not a single one!!

If you dont know what I mean you should have never payed into the AGS address(es)

Yes I know what you mean. I bought AGS to invest in development of BTS and become part of all those beautiful autonomous companies. That was the promise if I remember correctly. What is left from that promise?
No promises are associated with AGS!
and still you received BTS .. didnt you?

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile

If you dont know what I mean you should have never payed into the AGS address(es)

Yes I know what you mean. I bought AGS to invest in development of BTS and become part of all those beautiful autonomous companies. That was the promise if I remember correctly. What is left from that promise?

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Maker is about to launch tonight. If there's any news it would be great.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Riverhead

It clearly IS competing against BTS as a sharedrop target and against BTS market value.

Actually there is one argument AGAINST using BTS as sharedrop target no one brought up yet:
If you can recall PTS prices, what exactly happened after 28th of february last year?
BTS(X) market cap was effectively taken out of the PTS market cap at the time of the snapshot and the priced tanked big time.
Because BTS are used as collateral, this may result in ... you guess it .. a black swan (of course only if the airdropping market cap is large vs. BTS's market cap)

Also, IMHO, the goal of a snapshot is NOT to drive the price up (because it will go down again eventually) .... but to honor a community.

In my opinion, snapshots nowadays only make sense if you do them without further notice .. that way you
* do not drive price up
* prevent a price tanking at the time of the snapshot
* while you are still able to drop on your valuable demographic

Just my thoughts ..

This. Exactly.

Though it's too bad PTS doesn't still exist...oh wait. A golden opportunity for legitimacy missed. Where is AlphaBar these days anyway? My DPOS PTS delegates are still chugging along :P .

Offline bobmaloney

One of the many reasons AGS will always be a valuable sharedrop target.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile
Thank you very much Stan. You are clever guy and you know that post 2/28/14 investors are biggest losers here. Can we at least get 1 Brownie.PTS or maybe half? We even didn't get chance to sell our AGS coins. From original plan only that didn't changed.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
@Stan
Yes you need to honor the community. Fuck the investors. As a AGS investor without BTS, I was little bit late with my xx BTC investment , I feel like bigger idiot with every new visit to these forum. I invested because you promise me part of all beautiful future DACs. From all that promises I only received some NOTEs. Yes I collect some vasted BTS but you know that was not much, less than 1 BTC. Thank you anyway.

My brother, mother, and friends and I all donated a LOT in AGS post 2/28/14 and we are all delighted with the appreciation shown.
AGSers were given a piece of the BTS action during the merger and sharedrops on BTS therefore sharedrop on PTS/AGS as well (which was a key point of the merger).

Now, we are seeing that some developers want to build on top of BTS for the network effect and others still want separate chains so they can do something incompatible with BTS.  So the original vision is still intact.  Ownership in lots of DACs.  Where else can you get anything remotely like this?

Better still, multiple developers are giving EXTRA percentages to encourage EXTRA participation in the community.

You still have BTS and NOTES and PLS and Identabits and, oops almost slipped up, others to come.

And so do my mother and brother and friends.   :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:49:27 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile
@Stan
Yes you need to honor the community. Fuck the investors. As a AGS investor without BTS, I was little bit late with my xx BTC investment , I feel like bigger idiot with every new visit to these forum. I invested because you promise me part of all beautiful future DACs. From all that promises I only received some NOTEs. Yes I collect some vasted BTS but you know that was not much, less than 1 BTC. Thank you anyway.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:46:03 am by dritz3r »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
A sharedrop happening at a random time still results in a value drop once it is announced that the sharedrop cutoff is passed, which still results in a shock to the internal markets. 

The only difference it makes is that it allows insiders who know the date of the sharedrop to benefit greatly at the expense of everyone else, by buying BTS right before they do the  sharedrop and then dumping right after it.

Of course it depends upon who knows ahead of time, and what their motivation is.

If the only person with pre-knowledge is the dev, then I wouldn't consider it a great threat.

After all I would consider the purpose of the sharedrop to be actually getting the coins in the hands of potential adopters.

The way I had envisioned it, the block would be selected automagically a week or two before launch in some provably honest way.  The exact details are left as an exercise for the student.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
I know that some here trade in and out of BTS.  But personally I haven't sold a single share since I began accumulating in May.  And although I've gained enough of a comfort level with the current web wallet to keep a good portion of my holdings in it, I feel that I have no choice but to also keep a not-so-insignificant amount of BTS on the exchanges.  At least until 2.0.  In the interim, I am fine with share drop not being announced.  I just think people need to know which exchanges honor share drops and which might not.   

I assume CCEDK would do so.  I seem to recall hearing Poloniex has been good on this front as well.  What about Bittrex and BTC38?  I won't even ask about BTER since anyone with BTS there is just asking to lose it!

It clearly IS competing against BTS as a sharedrop target and against BTS market value.

Actually there is one argument AGAINST using BTS as sharedrop target no-one brought up yet:
If you can recall PTS prices, what exactly happened after 28th of february last year?
BTS(X) market cap was effectively taken out of the PTS market cap at the time of the snapshot and the priced tanked big time.
Because BTS are used as collateral, this may result in ... you guess it .. a black swan (of course only if the airdropping market cap is large vs. BTS's market cap)

Also, IMHO, the goal of a snapshot is NOT to drive the price up (because it will go down again eventually) .... but to honor a community.

In my opinion, snapshots nowadays only make sense if you do them without further notice .. that way you
* do not drive price up
* prevent a price tanking at the time of the snapshot
* while you are still able to drop on your valuable demographic

Just my thoughts ..

I guess having the possibility of a snapshot that could occur at any time would encourage folks not to leave their BTS on some external exchange and not to sell BTS even temporarily just to fool around promiscuously with other coins...

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Sync all share-drops with 2.0 transition :)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
A sharedrop happening at a random time still results in a value drop once it is announced that the sharedrop cutoff is passed, which still results in a shock to the internal markets. 

The only difference it makes is that it allows insiders who know the date of the sharedrop to benefit greatly at the expense of everyone else, by buying BTS right before they do the  sharedrop and then dumping right after it.

Of course it depends upon who knows ahead of time, and what their motivation is.

If the only person with pre-knowledge is the dev, then I wouldn't consider it a great threat.

After all I would consider the purpose of the sharedrop to be actually getting the coins in the hands of potential adopters. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

That's a really good point. Perhaps the best solution, as already discussed, boils down to the developer choosing his targets very wisely!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads