Author Topic: Maker sharedrop on the BitShares community  (Read 25408 times)

Offline mint chocolate chip

You could also drop something on those who supported your endeavor here... Cryptohedge.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
So are you saying something like this:

"Every Address with > 1000 bts will receive 10 MKR" I for one would create a bunch of accounts and spread out a large portion of my BTS to take advantage.  This would be done easily and securely and would definitely be gamed.

I would imagine the drop is proportional to BTS held. Say x% of BTS held per address up to a max of say 1,000,000 BTS. Empty addresses get nothing. The only ones who might game it would be those with like 5 million BTS split across a bunch of accounts. Doubt that's going to be a huge problem though. And it would make it so exchanges like BTC38 don't get credited for their millions upon millions of BTS held (unless they too split accounts? not sure).

Hell you could even make the sharedrop effective as of stake held yesterday, before we even thought of this, hah.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:30:38 pm by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Why not just do a bts share drop with an upward limit.  Cap the amount any one address gets.  You could get wide distribution without breaking the bank, or over feeding the whales.

I like this idea.  +5%

me2  +5%

Problem with this... What about dead addresses or multiple accounts created by one person (Name Narwhal)  Then you end up giving the most MKR to people who are only trying to exploit a loophole.

The drop is proportional to bts balance up to a certain amount so empty addresses would get nothing.  Someone that had more than the cap spread out could game the system, but I don't think this would be a huge problem in practice

So are you saying something like this:

"Every Address with > 1000 bts will receive 10 MKR" I for one would create a bunch of accounts and spread out a large portion of my BTS to take advantage.  This would be done easily and securely and would definitely be gamed.

K.I.S.S. is the best option for this.  Keep it simple, drop on BTS, vest for 6 months, hopefully MKR grows in popularity during the vesting period and there is minimal sell pressure when shares vest.  This also allows MKR to market and grow awareness for their recently dropped coins.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Why not just do a bts share drop with an upward limit.  Cap the amount any one address gets.  You could get wide distribution without breaking the bank, or over feeding the whales.

I like this idea.  +5%

me2  +5%

Problem with this... What about dead addresses or multiple accounts created by one person (Name Narwhal)  Then you end up giving the most MKR to people who are only trying to exploit a loophole.

The drop is proportional to bts balance up to a certain amount so empty addresses would get nothing.  Someone that had more than the cap spread out could game the system, but I don't think this would be a huge problem in practice
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:11:49 pm by puppies »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

I like this idea.  +5%

me2  +5%

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

I like this idea.  +5%

me2  +5%

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile

I like this idea.  +5%

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Targeted sharedrop is the most effective if you wish to real in the cost involved in sharedropping.

In other words, drop on those who really do want to use/support the system that take an action to claim their shares.

This will allow you to cherry pick active members who actually care at all about your project and keep your balance sheet from not looking like total crap afterwards.

Lets call this.. 'smartdropping' :)

Yes.. BTS would make the most sense.  Smartdrop on BTS.

Given that it's a targeted approach it might even allow you to increase the % points for further incentive.

DISCLAIMER: I have explored the idea of sharedropping numerous times.. after tons of conversations both with people who have done it and people who have been on the receiving end of it.. I am not a fan because I think the desired results by the dropper are far from expectations. If you are going to do it.. I recommend smartdrop like I said.. however I think you would be equally be happy just with an email subscribe list.. and save yourself a lot of programming time and headaches.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
After reading all these answers I still believe doing a straight share drop with vesting on BTS is the best solution. 

-It increases the value of BTS by further embedding it as a viable share drop target
-People that don't necessarily troll this forum may be more helpful than what they are getting credit for.  Giving them some MKR may stimulate their interest.
-MKR gets use of established BTS uitilities (beyond bitcoin, where you can promote to the hardcore bts holders)
-Exchanges can pass the share drop on to their clients

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
lol I still remember rune's awesome post theorizing a "hostile takeover" of bitcoin by BTS...good times. Definitely interested to see what you have brewing. Still wish you'd come back to BTS though, you beautiful genius you  :P.

Offline phillyguy

I think some kind of flat rate distribution makes the most sense. You don't give away the farm, the bulk doesn't go to exchanges or whales only, and I think it helps you achieve what you are looking for: Even a small hodler of BTS will be equally incentivized to put some eyes on your project.

Best of luck with it and good to hear from you!

Offline betax

• View Profile
It is harder to develop a BTS fork than to write a dapp for ethereum. Ethereum very clearly places developers first and cares only about providing a good toolchain for building dapps.

One the most precious and expensive resources for blockchains is talented developers like yourself. So I have to admit the fact that Ethereum is able to attract talented developers to add value to their blockchain without needing to pay them directly is pretty huge.

Ethereum provides a very simple way to experiment with the capabilities of the blockchain.  As the blockchain gains more momentum, more developers will experiment with Ethereum. If graphene (bitshares) provides a solid framework with better features (speed, security, etc) (Bitshares 2.0) and a simple way to do the port, it will be plenty motivation to move the contracts here.  This might not be in Bitshares, but maybe another fork, depending on CMX / Bytemaster / License etc.

Rune, thanks for your idea to sharedrop. Whatever solution you come up, it will be great. Just think how you are going to port that solidity contract to Bitshares later on. ;)

Edit: Clarification that better features will be already in Bitshares 2.0.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:29:27 pm by betax »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Another factor to consider in any sharedrop is to make sure the gifted shares vest over a period of time.
The last thing a new coin needs is a lot of selling pressure from people who got them for free and don't know what they're worth.
Even people who were glad to get them get impatient over the long wait for development and market traction.
New startup shares are hardly ever liquid for this very reason.

:)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
What are your thoughts on this? Also, lets say we did the flat sharedrop so everyone who reads this now owns 100 USD worth of MKR. What would we then gain in return? Would you consider buying more/trading MKR? Would you be active on our forums? Would you sell the MKR as soon as you saw any liquidity?

I would offer BTS members a 10% MKR USD deposit bonus which is released after holding MKR USD for 90 days for amounts up to $1000.

Depending on the level of interest and the amount you have to spend, you can increase or decrease the offer every couple of weeks.

This should get the few hundred active BTS members using MKR USD and give it a 6 figure CAP for an outlay of circa $10 000.

I don't know what your personal stake or the MKR CAP is, but I suspect this would increase the value of your personal MKR shares by much more than $10 000  and in the process create a solid base on which to build your USD product going forward in a very short period.
If you want to take the island burn the boats