Author Topic: Maker sharedrop on the BitShares community  (Read 25244 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Don't worry - he can't talk me out of it :P
Seems I didn't express myself perfectly.
It never was the intention to "talk you out" of sharedropping onto BTS .. I rather wanted to bring additional thoughts on the table.

Heck, I would definitely profit more from being sharedropped via BTS than I would with Brownies .. but that is not the point .. it is not about throwing away money ..
it is about reaching potentially interested people... And I am not certain that every BTS holder has a clue about what is going on with rune's maker .. I would even go as far as stating that brownie.pts holders are most active in the community (and you may want to sharedrop those)

Side fact: BTS has 393,395,829 BTS UNCLAIMED right now .. why sharedrop those?

Just thoughts trying to be as objective as possible with the goal to bring something new to the table ..
nuf said

I was joking - I know you weren't trying to "talk me out of it" :P

I think brownie.PTS sharedrop might be a better idea though, but as far as I can understand it is basically the list that I posted already? You get brownie.pts for attending beyond bitcoin hangouts right?

Bytemaster has been issuing brownie points to everyone he can find that has done something he "appreciates".

So that would tend to be the most active members of the community, with emphasis on those who have made (and presumably will continue to make) great contributions to the ecosystem.

The only problem I see with sharedropping to Brownie.PTS is that, as bytemaster has admitted in the past, he can't possibly know who all has contributed to the BitShares ecosystem. He hadn't even made it completely through the delegate list in the last Nullstreet Journal and probably hasn't had time to (which is just fine) to this day. 

It also means excluding members bytemaster chooses not to "appreciate" with Brownie.PTS for his own reasons, yet that person may be considered by others as having contributed to the ecosystem (see Newmine).

Not to mention those who did not receive Brownie.PTS for attending a Mumble session even though Stan marked it as distributed on the spreadsheet.  :P

Just my 2

I just learned that all the brownies I had sent to Fuzzy to distribute were stuck in his wallet for some reason, so yesterday I sent him a new batch to his autopayment bot.  Hopefully that fixes the problem.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Tuck Fheman

Considering I am a subjective social currency distributed to select community members solely based on Bytemaster's personal musings, I would recommend any share drops be targeted on BTS.

HUGS for EVERYONE! :-)

Exactly.  +5%

Tuck Fheman

Don't worry - he can't talk me out of it :P
Seems I didn't express myself perfectly.
It never was the intention to "talk you out" of sharedropping onto BTS .. I rather wanted to bring additional thoughts on the table.

Heck, I would definitely profit more from being sharedropped via BTS than I would with Brownies .. but that is not the point .. it is not about throwing away money ..
it is about reaching potentially interested people... And I am not certain that every BTS holder has a clue about what is going on with rune's maker .. I would even go as far as stating that brownie.pts holders are most active in the community (and you may want to sharedrop those)

Just thoughts trying to be as objective as possible with the goal to bring something new to the table ..
nuf said

I was joking - I know you weren't trying to "talk me out of it" :P

I think brownie.PTS sharedrop might be a better idea though, but as far as I can understand it is basically the list that I posted already? You get brownie.pts for attending beyond bitcoin hangouts right?

Bytemaster has been issuing brownie points to everyone he can find that has done something he "appreciates".

So that would tend to be the most active members of the community, with emphasis on those who have made (and presumably will continue to make) great contributions to the ecosystem.

The only problem I see with sharedropping to Brownie.PTS is that, as bytemaster has admitted in the past, he can't possibly know who all has contributed to the BitShares ecosystem. He hadn't even made it completely through the delegate list in the last Nullstreet Journal and probably hasn't had time to (which is just fine) to this day. 

It also means excluding members bytemaster chooses not to "appreciate" with Brownie.PTS for his own reasons, yet that person may be considered by others as having contributed to the ecosystem (see Newmine).

Not to mention those who did not receive Brownie.PTS for attending a Mumble session even though Stan marked it as distributed on the spreadsheet.  :P

Just my 2

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
here's a thought.....

Could you offer a sharedrop to Bitshares forum members created before a certain date with at least 1 entry in the last month (or some other similar criteria to prevent spam accounts.)  Then request any forum members that are interested to submit their interest before a certain date along with answers to some simple questions around what they feel they can offer......

Interest
Forum participation
Dev time
Liquidity
Investment
etc.

Obviously you can't hold anyone to what they submit, but hopefully you'll be capturing the best demographic within the Bitshares network and representative of the most value to Maker.....  I think at most you'll get a few hundred of the most active and potentially valuable members of the community if you use a method like this.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
It is harder to develop a BTS fork than to write a dapp for ethereum. Ethereum very clearly places developers first and cares only about providing a good toolchain for building dapps.

One the most precious and expensive resources for blockchains is talented developers like yourself. So I have to admit the fact that Ethereum is able to attract talented developers to add value to their blockchain without needing to pay them directly is pretty huge.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
I would say the proportional discount sale option would work best for you.

Choosing core members will exclude people who may be interested, and who may be more likely to be involved in multiple projects rather than being core members of any in particular one.

Straight sharedrop will most likely bring you what you want, but risks having a high cost per active / involved user you gain. Would probably get you the highest number of people though, so if you just want numbers and are willing to pay then maybe this option.

Discount investment will bring you some money and should buy you some time from those most open to getting involved.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
So it seems like most people prefer a proportional sharedrop on BTS. The issue I have with this kind of sharedrop is that it means we're going to give the majority of whatever amount of MKR we end up deciding to sharedrop to a few whales and exchanges (if we dont decide to exempt exchange addresses from the sharedrop).

However from my point of view I'm only able to see the value gained per person, i.e. active community member that we sharedrop on, which is why my first thought was to do a flat sharedrop to all "core members". This is basically like paying for eyeballs to look over our stuff and possibly find flaws or opportunities, as they decide whether or not to dump the MKR they received. This value would be the same no matter if it's a BTS whale or someone who holds a tiny amount of BTS, or even no BTS, so I see no compelling value proposition for letting the majority of the sharedrop go to the whales.

A proportional sharedrop only makes sense if it requires a buy in of some kind, in my opinion, as this means it will still only be whales who actually are interested in owning MKR who will take the offer, instead of just gathering MKR and then summarily dump it as soon as they can.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, lets say we did the flat sharedrop so everyone who reads this now owns 100 USD worth of MKR. What would we then gain in return? Would you consider buying more/trading MKR? Would you be active on our forums? Would you sell the MKR as soon as you saw any liquidity?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
sharedrop on bitshares and you got a new fan :)

Offline yellowecho

I'd very much appreciate a sharedrop from Maker so thanks for the consideration, Rune!  I probably wouldn't checkout the platform otherwise so I'm looking forward to whatever sharedrop you deem appropriate.  IMO, the best sharedrop would be from the BTS snapshot (10% PTS/ 10% AGS) which should appease everyone involved in the 'social contract' that once was.  8)
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Happens to me too in some markets.

I tried to buy some NOTES last night, barely got the order placed then had the same symptoms. Then the order expired.

But I was able to trade some bitUSD for BTS with no problems at all. Maybe it's a volume related bug? I'd say that it doesn't matter, I can just wait until 2.0, but where NOTES and BROWNIE.PTS are concerned maybe I can't...

You can get NOTE on blocktrades.us

Wow nice I didnt know that!
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline brownie.pts

• HUGS.
    • View Profile
Considering I am a subjective social currency distributed to select community members solely based on Bytemaster's personal musings, I would recommend any share drops be targeted on BTS.

HUGS for EVERYONE! :-)
I Appreciate YOU

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
There are, of course, certain people who have amassed as much as a negative 1.21 GigaBrownies!

How would Doc Brown deal with that?

1.21 GigaBrownies!
Marty, where am I going to get that kind of power?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
Happens to me too in some markets.

I tried to buy some NOTES last night, barely got the order placed then had the same symptoms. Then the order expired.

But I was able to trade some bitUSD for BTS with no problems at all. Maybe it's a volume related bug? I'd say that it doesn't matter, I can just wait until 2.0, but where NOTES and BROWNIE.PTS are concerned maybe I can't...

You can get NOTE on blocktrades.us

Offline testz

There are several good reasons why people might choose not to claim all their shares until the time is right:
  • Awaiting better privacy technology
  • Tax planning in some jurisdictions
  • Waiting to get confident with a wallet that works for them
  • Being too busy changing the world to mess with importing a bunch of scattered wallets from an old PTS mining farm.
So I wouldn't assume that those unmoved shares are abandoned or uninterested...  :)

• Shares belong to PTS owners at Cryptsy which Cryptsy "forget" to distribute or already claimed privately, who knows.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Agreed. Also, brownies are actively traded on BTS right now. Wouldn't be hard for someone that BM doesn't like/approve of with deep pockets to just buy a whole bunch. And be super-duper "appreciated". lol.
I would be extremely disappointed to see future DACs choose BROWNIE.PTS as a sharedrop over BTS. Alot of people donated whatever they could to AGS, and the idea was that future DACs that wanted the community support would sharedrop on those who funded early innovation. BROWNIE.PTS only represents the tiniest, most vocal, most talented segment of the community (or those who have Fridays at 10AM off).

Spot on.
Not quite .. Rune's proposal is completely independent of anything that came out of AGS/PTS/BTS whatsoever .. no obligations at all .. he can freely chose whether to sharedrop at all and which asset to sharedrop .. Though I understand the issues you guys are having with using BROWNIES as sharedrop target .. distribution is not very broad (not sure if rune's desire is to sharedrop rather broad through)