Author Topic: Graphene GUI testing and feedback  (Read 130119 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
With such a great community, who needs moderators...  :P

Offline svk

Trollbox finally coming next release! I got a great suggestion from hitchcock, the front-end dev of Digix, to use Peerjs to make a p2p chatroom and it turned out to be surprisingly easy :)

Sent fra min MotoG3 via Tapatalk
This is awesome news!  Can't wait to see it in action.  This may be a premature question but will this be moderated in any way or is it just wide open?
Great work svk!

Sent from a place unknown to man
It's unmoderated for now but with mindphlux we brainstormed some ideas for how to add moderation. The easiest one being to allow users to ignore other users, I can probably add that by Wednesday.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline emailtooaj

Trollbox finally coming next release! I got a great suggestion from hitchcock, the front-end dev of Digix, to use Peerjs to make a p2p chatroom and it turned out to be surprisingly easy :)

This is awesome news!  Can't wait to see it in action.  This may be a premature question but will this be moderated in any way or is it just wide open?
Great work svk!

Sent from a place unknown to man

Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

BAM! Awesome work! Looking forward to move my trolling from polo to BTS :)

Offline svk

Offline yvv

• View Profile
I request Fox indicator, like this

Xeldal

I think we need to add the option to make open.btc a base token for the market panel. There are a lot using it for buying/selling.

I would like to see an editable text box that you can enter whatever QUOTE currency you like, and a '+' to add it as a permanent accordian list , as well as a '-' to remove any existing accordian lists.

or something, like that..

Offline Pheonike

I think we need to add the option to make open.btc a base token for the market panel. There are a lot using it for buying/selling.

Offline svk

Hi @svk, could you please give us some visibility into your immediate roadmap for the GUI?  Which of the ideas in this and other forum threads are making it into upcoming releases?  Also, do you have any questions about my post re: auto-population of the order form?  I think it would be very helpful to have a little more dialog in order to ensure everything important gets buttoned up, and I do have at least one other issue (a pretty critical one, actually) that I'd like to take the time to write up once I know we have some dialog going.  Thanks in advance.

There are lots of good suggestions here, but I've been trying to focus my time mostly on bug fixing lately. I want to make sure what we have works correctly before adding more stuff, and I also want to simplify some aspects. I intend to add more tooltips throughout to explain things that might be confusing, and rework some components that are confusing.

The auto-population is something I'll have to get to, but it's hard to get right due to js math issues and the "unwieldy" price ratios used in Graphene.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
Hi @svk, could you please give us some visibility into your immediate roadmap for the GUI?  Which of the ideas in this and other forum threads are making it into upcoming releases?  Also, do you have any questions about my post re: auto-population of the order form?  I think it would be very helpful to have a little more dialog in order to ensure everything important gets buttoned up, and I do have at least one other issue (a pretty critical one, actually) that I'd like to take the time to write up once I know we have some dialog going.  Thanks in advance.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
@svk:  I've been meaning to comment on the last release and offer additional feedback, just been so busy lately.  But great job with the latest changes to the horizontal order book layout.   Also, the expand and contract buttons on the chart are very helpful.  And the chart timeframes make more sense now (e.g. there was no need for 5s).  Although if it's a relatively easy matter to add them, I would go ahead and add 1m, 2h, 6h, 12h and 1w.  If it's time consuming to add each one, I would add 1m immediately and hold off on the others for now. 

Also with respect to the chart, something has changed where the volume bars now obscure view of the candlesticks.  It was definitely much better before.  And final point about the chart...we once had a crosshair, and now it is just a vertical line.  Can you make it a cross hair again, and have the price of the vertical line's position show on the vertical axis as the crosshair moves?  That would mimic standard behavior. 

By the way, while the horizontal layout is much improved now, the vertical layout has taken a step backwards with the ticker (price history) now pushed further down.  For the very same reasons the price history has been moved immediately below the chart in the horizontal layout, the same should be true on the vertical layout. 

Also, when you click on the order book, it is adding the cumulative available orders and putting a value into the order box, but it's not calculating properly.  Can you take a look at that?

Beyond that, we really need to start working toward having some basic position management.  I mentioned in a previous post that the Open Orders box could be modified to include a Current Positions view.  So the box could have 2 tabs for the user to choose between.  The tab headers could include the number of items in the list like below.  Also, Open Positions could show the P/L (% gain or loss) for each position.  And each position could be hyperlinked so the user can click to load that market into the current view in order to assess the situation and/or close out or add to their position.

|  Open Orders (1)    |   Current Positions (5)  |

Finally, there is still some strange behavior with the Find Markets tab.  For example, if I enter "OPEN.EUR", it returns the OPEN.EUR pairs with BTS, BTC, USD, CNY...but not EUR.  Do you know why that is?

Position management like you say sounds nice, but not sure it's feasible with our current system. A margin position doesn't have any other information attached to it besides the collateral and debt. Whether you've gone short with it or not I don't know, so I don't see how I can define a gain/loss there.

I understand there are factors that make it difficult or impossible to offer true position management at this time.  But my original suggestion was to start at least for now by simply listing the Open Positions (i.e. balances) in each asset.  That would be very helpful because currently the only way to see your balances is to navigate into the account area.  Then you have to navigate back to the trading screen.  This makes for a very disjointed and inefficient experience.  Instead, the Open Orders box could have 2 tabs so you could also display Open Positions (again, that's simply the balances in each asset).  That would allow the trader to easily switch between those assets in order to assess each market's vitals and potentially close, reduce or add to one of the positions. 

Find markets looks for markets with 4 default quotes, the ones you mentioned. It's simply a case of having to limit the search results in order to not overload the witness node with searches, so I picked the 4 most important assets as I see it..

Perhaps you can display the EUR pair (or anything that doesn't fall under the primary 4) under "OTHER" so the results won't be unexpected and confusing due to missing pairs?

By the way, it used to be that clicking on the "Trade" main menu item when already on the Trade page would take you to Explore-->Markets.  That was very handy.  Now it requires a bunch of navigating to go back and forth.  Can you reinstate that original toggle or create a new one? 

One final suggestion, can you create a way for the user to toggle the My Markets / Find Markets column between normal and full length (i.e. toggle the mini depth chart in and out of view)?  That would be handy.

Thanks @svk as always for all of your effort on the UI.  It just keeps getting better and better!

Offline tbone

• View Profile
@svk:  I've been meaning to comment on the last release and offer additional feedback, just been so busy lately.  But great job with the latest changes to the horizontal order book layout.   Also, the expand and contract buttons on the chart are very helpful.  And the chart timeframes make more sense now (e.g. there was no need for 5s).  Although if it's a relatively easy matter to add them, I would go ahead and add 1m, 2h, 6h, 12h and 1w.  If it's time consuming to add each one, I would add 1m immediately and hold off on the others for now. 

Also with respect to the chart, something has changed where the volume bars now obscure view of the candlesticks.  It was definitely much better before.  And final point about the chart...we once had a crosshair, and now it is just a vertical line.  Can you make it a cross hair again, and have the price of the vertical line's position show on the vertical axis as the crosshair moves?  That would mimic standard behavior. 

By the way, while the horizontal layout is much improved now, the vertical layout has taken a step backwards with the ticker (price history) now pushed further down.  For the very same reasons the price history has been moved immediately below the chart in the horizontal layout, the same should be true on the vertical layout. 

Also, when you click on the order book, it is adding the cumulative available orders and putting a value into the order box, but it's not calculating properly.  Can you take a look at that?

Beyond that, we really need to start working toward having some basic position management.  I mentioned in a previous post that the Open Orders box could be modified to include a Current Positions view.  So the box could have 2 tabs for the user to choose between.  The tab headers could include the number of items in the list like below.  Also, Open Positions could show the P/L (% gain or loss) for each position.  And each position could be hyperlinked so the user can click to load that market into the current view in order to assess the situation and/or close out or add to their position.

|  Open Orders (1)    |   Current Positions (5)  |

Finally, there is still some strange behavior with the Find Markets tab.  For example, if I enter "OPEN.EUR", it returns the OPEN.EUR pairs with BTS, BTC, USD, CNY...but not EUR.  Do you know why that is?

I put the volume bars and the candlesticks on the same y-axis, it gives more space to each one so I prefer it that way at least. In the process the axis indexes changed which is why the crosshair disappeared, I hadn't even noticed but I'll put them back in.

I've been meaning to respond to this for some time, but I've been so busy.  In any event, I appreciate your reasoning here.  Having both on the same y-axis works well on Poloniex and TradingView, to name a couple.  But I guess with the colors those sites use, the volume bars don't obscure the candlesticks nearly as much.  And in TradingView you can easily hide and unhide the volume with the click of the mouse.  I often wish I could do that on Poloniex as well.  Maybe you can add that capability on the DEX.  It would be helpful.

The chart timeframes are defined in the backend, but I decided to filter out anything below 5 minutes because with the low volume we have it just doesn't show anything useful atm. If you really think 1m is useful I can set the cutoff there.

Once we start getting much more active trading in some of these markets, there will be traders who scalp that will need 1m charts. 

Clicking on the orderbook appears correct to me, I tried to be very careful when I refactored it and checking now I can't find anything wrong. It uses the Total and the Price for that order to calculate the corresponding Amount. That's how it works on Polo as well as far as I can tell. If you think it should work differently, can you give me an example please?

This is definitely not working properly.  What we want is for the total price of the buy/sell order to be populated with the sum of the prices of each row up to the one clicked.  What you're doing is taking the cumulative number of shares and dividing it by the price of the row clicked.  But that doesn't give the actual number of shares available. 

Poloniex, on the other hand, adds the number of shares row by row the way I'm suggesting.  That's what's good about how they auto-populate the order information.  But then unfortunately, when it comes to the price, they do something similar to what you're doing i.e. they calculate the total buy/sell price by multiplying the total number of shares by the price of the row clicked.  That overestimates the cost of the trade when they could easily give the exact total price of the actual shares available on the order book up to the row clicked. 

In summary, to be as useful as possible, both values (amount of shares to buy/sell, and total price of the transaction) should be sums of the corresponding values in each of the rows up to the one clicked.   This is another case where if we get it right, we'll be superior to the others.  That should bode well for us once we get what I hope will soon be an influx of people looking to trade LISK (and hopefully other assets) here on the DEX.

Offline svk

I have a suggestion.

At the moment, there is a lot of pairs that are display weirdly when you look at the market depth. Mainely because the lack of liquidity.

At Bittrex, they solved this problem having in their charts options a % of price range available to choose when looking at the market depth.

You have 25% by default but can select 50%, 75% and all. That's very useful when you want to see how buy and sell orders are spread on the whole market, where the big supports or resistances, ect ...

As we still have some space in the GUI there, we could have this option.

I strongly beleive that we should gather in the DEX GUI every single advantage (even tiny ones) that other exchanges have ;)

Just my 2 bts ;p
Good idea.

Offline EstefanTT

I have a suggestion.

At the moment, there is a lot of pairs that are display weirdly when you look at the market depth. Mainely because the lack of liquidity.

At Bittrex, they solved this problem having in their charts options a % of price range available to choose when looking at the market depth.

You have 25% by default but can select 50%, 75% and all. That's very useful when you want to see how buy and sell orders are spread on the whole market, where the big supports or resistances, ect ...

As we still have some space in the GUI there, we could have this option.

I strongly beleive that we should gather in the DEX GUI every single advantage (even tiny ones) that other exchanges have ;)

Just my 2 bts ;p

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

looking great :D could be 1 step to make it clearer which asset is which type.