Author Topic: Please help  (Read 9646 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder: BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB

so it is not exposed from v0.9.3c since this version is released this month....
it is an old log file that was created back in June where the old wallet was installed...

So since it is not related with the last version I am not worried too much  ;)

edit:
+ as xeroc mentioned it has BTS on the beginning.... so no private key (I was also confused )

I am sorry for the mixed up, but the date is not Jun 10, 2015 but Oct 6, 2015, this was generated by v0.9.3c yesterday.

The owner_key starts with 5bts... I am just hoping that is not my private keys  :-\

Keys in BTS look like this:

"public_key": "BTS4wu2NUsAPaVMvB7PN3iSBqoBVWYBZM4Hmf6iNYHW7NExHYheM4",
  "wif_private_key": "5HyiZq7MHJfDERQkr9Z4CqqBwc83UB73KhRFzfZqB8DgSyttYdp",
  "native_address": "BTS52iTzHzKpSBb1XVRt6q9BspkJEgW51cch",

native_address and public_key are publicly known .. only the wif_private_key gives access to funds. it clearly does NOT contain BTS .. simply for the reason that "BTS" is a manually added prefix .. manually added only to pubkey and address for the sake recognition ...

Anyway, I have no idea why it says 5BTS... in the log file ...

Offline Louis

The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder: BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB

it is an old log file that was created back in June where the old wallet was installed...

edit:
+ as xeroc mentioned it has BTS on the beginning.... so no private key (I was also confused )

I am sorry for the mixed up, but the date is not Jun 10, 2015 but Oct 6, 2015, this was generated by v0.9.3c yesterday.

The owner_key starts with 5bts... I am just hoping that is not my private keys  :-\

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

edit:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:04:35 pm by liondani »

Offline Louis

have you a delegate? Have you ever used the command:

wallet_delegate_set_block_production  <account name> TRUE

?

I don't have a delegate and I have never used that command.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
have you a delegate? Have you ever used the command:

wallet_delegate_set_block_production  <account name> TRUE

?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Even with 0.9.3c I found my private key in one of the log files, that's very strange, why would a private key be exposed like that?

where do you find that log file? (path, folder)

Offline Louis

with your backup .json file and your password you will recover on any computer your account...
with the  key you found as far as i know you can NOT do the recover (it's just a public key, at least I think so), it is not your secret key. The wallet don't expose anywhere your secret keys in plain text (it is only encrypted inside your .json backup file). Waiting xeroc to confirm this  :)
To clarify:
public keys (worthless) start with "BTS...."
private keys (to spend your funds) start with "5...."

You had mention earlier on this post that private keys start with a 5, and that's why I am concern because according to the log file it starts with a 5 followed by BTS.... and on the beginning of the log file it states that the owner_key is 5BTS.....

Code: [Select]
index  idA  name xxxx public_datagui_datawebsite  owner_key5BTS5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Saactive_key_history2014-09-02T04:46:205BTS5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Saregistration_date2014-09-02T04:46:20 last_update2014-09-02T04:46:20 meta_datatype
titan_accountdata last_child_key_index        block_production_enabled custom_data approved        Aò}ÓÒí          
index  idA]      name xxxxx public_datagui_datawebsite

Wouldn't the owner_key be the same as the private_key?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
If there is a BTS at the beginning its a formated adress or pubkey .. privkeys dont contain BTS usually in particular not at the beginning

Offline Louis

It starts with 5BTS not BTS:   to_account5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Sa .

I thought 5BTS are for private keys.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:29:44 pm by Louis »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Those strings are ok .. they start with BTS and are thus pubkeys or addresses .. all fine .. nothing exposed

Offline Louis

The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder:
BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB

Hmm .. very odd .. can you paste the suroundings of the priv key please (do obfuscate
the privkey)

Xeroc here is a small portion of the log file, it might be the last transaction:

Code: [Select]
$BTS5QXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDamountÐüz    claim_input_data typedeposit_op_typedataamount€9z    conditionasset_id        slate_id        typewithdraw_signature_typedataowner$BTS1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZWmemo one_time_key5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXtQaQencrypted_memo_data€20f1e157b5380a61578d6daddf82768aeef749a6c2bda652b810c4b065596df4372a0c253042e7f9da4546072b3c22959da640d4f4b0d16c8ee51b90bd0e0f49
signatures‚2010e909d8ba62740aae6973ef0694e7ad7d9dc410508b0e88c78b8c55858f35450885b2df12e39b24621f955a739cce9e60c3115eb0048a5cfb31b09c7dd0c310ledger_entries from_account5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX8
to_account5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Saamountamount€9z    asset_id        memomemo9feeamountPà     asset_id        created_time2015-10-07T08:30:30
received_time2015-10-07T08:30:30æˆ!â\ ¶            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¦¢9     P<Q\ ·            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¨¢9     Ôpˆ\ ¸            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue©¢9     —@!&\ ¹            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalueª¢9     qW/c\ º            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue«¢9     ¹éôD\ »            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¬¢9     ÆG•ä\ ¼            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue­¢9     …w˜Æ\ ½            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue®¢9     c ª \ ¾            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¯¢9     A–ªÁ\ ¿            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue°¢9     [Q·\ À            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue±¢9     ˜¡¶´\ Á            Iindex 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
The link that you provided says to use the wallet_export_key command, is
that the same as exporting my wallet from the menu (Export Wallet)?
It was intend to be the same thing. However the windows build/installer has not
be updated properly prior to compilation. Hence we advice everyone to use the
console and run wallet_export_keys instead. I updated the migration tutorial
accordingly:
http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/howto-exporting-wallet.html

The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder:
BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB
Hmm .. very odd .. can you paste the suroundings of the priv key please (do obfuscate
the privkey)

Offline Louis

ONE FINAL STEP:
export NOW a backup .json wallet from your current wallet 0.9.3c (and keep the new .json file safe on 2 devices) because THAT .json file will be the compatible import file for graphene(bts2.0)!

I am still transferring funds from the exchange over to my wallet. Do I need to make one final backup of my wallet after the final transfer? or does it matter?

Do I also need to make a backup of my keys also, with the wallet_export_key command in the console?
If you do not expect any funds to receive untill the snapshot you are safe with
your current export:

PS when you are synced I suggest you make one more account on your wallet and move all your funds there since you found a secret key in plain text on your computer... (that way the wallet will use a new secret key for the new account that will not get exposed like the last one,just in case)

Even with 0.9.3c I found my private key in one of the log files, that's very strange, why would a private key be exposed like that?
How old is that log file. Cant find any priv keys in mine!

The link that you provided says to use the wallet_export_key command, is that the same as exporting my wallet from the menu (Export Wallet)?

Thanks Xeroc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
ONE FINAL STEP:
export NOW a backup .json wallet from your current wallet 0.9.3c (and keep the new .json file safe on 2 devices) because THAT .json file will be the compatible import file for graphene(bts2.0)!

I am still transferring funds from the exchange over to my wallet. Do I need to make one final backup of my wallet after the final transfer? or does it matter?

Do I also need to make a backup of my keys also, with the wallet_export_key command in the console?
If you do not expect any funds to receive untill the snapshot you are safe with
your current export:

PS when you are synced I suggest you make one more account on your wallet and move all your funds there since you found a secret key in plain text on your computer... (that way the wallet will use a new secret key for the new account that will not get exposed like the last one,just in case)

How old is that log file. Cant find any priv keys in mine!

Offline Louis

ONE FINAL STEP: