Author Topic: cheap register&high trans fee ***.com is taken  (Read 10862 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
1) register a new committee member that has this fees increased
2) get it voted to active
3) have more committee members voted active that also vote for higher fees

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
Change the newly created account fee to 20 BTS, and this issue should be solved.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline brads

• View Profile
I mean :

Every account with less than 100 BTS (to be adjusted) and no transaction ever occured, one week (to be adjusted) after creation are deleted.
Every account with less than 100 BTS (to be adjusted) and one year (to be adjusted) without transaction are deleted (even if transaction occured one year ago).

We should not change the rules retroactively. It'd hurt us even more.

According to Cryptomonex, 1 million accounts need 1 GB of RAM (and 150000 BTS for creation).

Imagine I'm a big competitor coin holder and I want to kill BTS. I could create 200 millions accounts for 30 millions BTS (150000 $). Is this a threat of not ? It is a true question, because I don't know the answer.

jakub

I mean :

Every account with less than 100 BTS (to be adjusted) and no transaction ever occured, one week (to be adjusted) after creation are deleted.
Every account with less than 100 BTS (to be adjusted) and one year (to be adjusted) without transaction are deleted (even if transaction occured one year ago).

We should not change the rules retroactively. It'd hurt us even more.

jakub

This can be changed with a shareholder vote. We should do it right now.

Don't we need the committee members to apply such a change?
Right now the committee consists entirely of the init nodes being under BM's control I guess.

That's what I mean. he needs to do a proposal, and we need to vote for it.

Agreed. It was a mistake not to have 24h access to the committee members right after the migration so that we could react immediately.
Maybe this incident will not hurt us so much but it could've been something much more serious and right now our "contingency plan" seems to boil down to waiting for BM to wake up.

Not very professional for a USD 15 mln business. Another lesson learned I guess.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Yea looks like we have another retard spamming the blockchain, probably same guy as last time.

I'm surprised the account registration fee is so low tbh, it's probably the cheapest transaction we have. It makes sense in a way because faucet's won't require enormous amounts of funds to register users, but it does leave the door open for idiot spammers like this kdj.

@svk, it's highly unprofessional to call them "retards" and "idiots". They do it because they seek a business opportunity and only time will tell  if that makes sense.

If someone is an idiot it's us that we let it happen by setting the fess so low.

I think BM's startegy assuming that
names that contain a number, are longer than 8 characters, or contain no vowels are essentially free
is fundamentally flawed.

I disagree, the guy's an idiot, in the same way patent trolls are idiots. Even worse because the chances of someone ever paying him anything for these accounts are so remote that he's probably better off playing the lottery..

Even if this guy is an idiot, we are even bigger idiots by not making money on this.

Exactly.  As usual. This is all so predictable.

I made lots of posts in the past saying they should increase the basic registration fee to avoid this, obviously with the names being sell-able now, even more so.

My advice now with any premium names is to make sure you rather start out too high than too low if you're going with a fixed pricing system.

Just so it's in the record, another trend I predicted which was scoffed at, is that we'll the see the .com extension becoming the most popular BTS variant of premium names. It will be interesting to see in a year or two if that ends up being the case.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:17:14 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline brads

• View Profile
I mean :

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile

Right now the committee consists entirely of the init nodes being under BM's control I guess.

That's what I mean. he needs to do a proposal, and we need to vote for it.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline brads

• View Profile
I propose to delete accounts with less than 100 BTS one week after they are created if no transaction ever occured or no transaction for a year, and of course to higher creation cost.

jakub

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile

Offline brads

• View Profile
We should ask ETH fanboys to all register as many name as they can. This will destroy this coin (and my investment) so easily.

How many BTS for 10 millions names ?

Offline svk

Yea looks like we have another retard spamming the blockchain, probably same guy as last time.

I'm surprised the account registration fee is so low tbh, it's probably the cheapest transaction we have. It makes sense in a way because faucet's won't require enormous amounts of funds to register users, but it does leave the door open for idiot spammers like this kdj.

@svk, it's highly unprofessional to call them "retards" and "idiots". They do it because they seek a business opportunity and only time will tell  if that makes sense.

If someone is an idiot it's us that we let it happen by setting the fess so low.

names that contain a number, are longer than 8 characters, or contain no vowels are essentially free
is fundamentally flawed.

I disagree, the guy's an idiot, in the same way patent trolls are idiots. Even worse because the chances of someone ever paying him anything for these accounts are so remote that he's probably better off playing the lottery..

Even if this guy is an idiot, we are even bigger idiots by not making money on this.

Yea I agree the fee should be higher.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

jakub

is fundamentally flawed.

jakub

Can we do anything to stop it before BM wakes up?
It might be urgent if this is going to affect the RAM usage of hosted wallet providers.

If we are just losing potential fees - that's just plain stupid of us but we'll get over it.
If we are creating a technical barrier for hosted wallet providers by letting this continue - that's dangerous for the whole BitShares business.

But maybe I'm unnecessarily panicking - I'm not technical enough to make this judgement.