Author Topic: Help educate Charles on Bitshares 2  (Read 7156 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
This video will bring you up to speed on the CH, DL relationship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4WGQmWcrbs

but who's who?

Family Guy: BM
Chicken: Charles
Ice cream seller: Stan

:D

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

IOHKCharles

Would you expect anything less? :)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
This video will bring you up to speed on the CH, DL relationship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4WGQmWcrbs

What an epic battle!  You had me when it got to the scene from Back to the Future!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

IOHKCharles

jakub

Who is Charles?
It's Charles Hoskinson - one of the founders of BitShares who helped to bootstrap the company and arranged the first investors from China.
He couldn't find a common ground with the other founders (Dan Larimer aka bytemaster and Stan Larimer) and left BitShares at a very early stage.
Then he helped to bootstrap Ethereum.

Offline mukul13

• View Profile
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll go through them and have some followup questions.

Oh wow. Did Charles just give thanks to a group of individuals that included bm?  Nice! That is what i call a step in the right direction.  @bytemaster, thanks for being open to helping him.  This is how strained relations are soothed.

Good stuff, good stuff.
Who is Charles?

Offline fuzzy

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll go through them and have some followup questions.

Oh wow. Did Charles just give thanks to a group of individuals that included bm?  Nice! That is what i call a step in the right direction.  @bytemaster, thanks for being open to helping him.  This is how strained relations are soothed.

Good stuff, good stuff.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

IOHKCharles

Offline topcandle

How many developers are actively working on the protocol? Where are they located and what is their stake in the project?

Four developers are actively working on the protocol  (Ben, Eric, Dan N and Dan L), located in Virginia, with a combined stake of less than 4%
     Five developers are actively working on GUI / Utilities for the wallet.  (James, SVK, Valentine, Cass, Xeroc) located in FL, VA, Germany.

How about Vikram and Nathan?

Vikram is on a leave of absence (personal reasons).
Nathan is working on Follow My Vote

When did that leave of absence start and how long will it be for?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline monsterer

The last irreversible block is the block that has been confirmed by 2/3 of all witnesses.   Currently there are 31 unique and independent witnesses.  I will define N to be 31

Is that a byzantine failure tolerance of 33% colluding nodes?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

How many developers are actively working on the protocol? Where are they located and what is their stake in the project?

Four developers are actively working on the protocol  (Ben, Eric, Dan N and Dan L), located in Virginia, with a combined stake of less than 4%
     Five developers are actively working on GUI / Utilities for the wallet.  (James, SVK, Valentine, Cass, Xeroc) located in FL, VA, Germany.

Vikram is on a leave of absence (personal reasons).
Nathan is working on Follow My Vote
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:47:02 pm by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline bytemaster

What is the protocol being developed in?
C++

What development standards and methodologies are being deployed to ensure the code is high quality?
How is testing addressed? Do you have test suites and a test net?
Over 100 test scenarios and 1000+ individual checks in automated unit testing covering 90%+ of the code.
We have internal test networks and usually a public test network.  There is not currently a public test network, but there will be again soon.
We follow good design / abstraction processes to prevent memory leaks
We use doxygen to document the majority of the public facing APIs.

Has Bitshares 2 gone through a security audit?
No

How are upgrades to the protocol handled? Is there an equivalent notion to BIPs from bitcoin? How can I propose new or changed code?

We have worker proposals that anyone can create.  The proposal IDs are defined on the blockchain and the specification hosted on a website provided by the potential worker.  If the worker gets stakeholder approval, their project is funded and they may submit a pull request when complete.  The pull request should include any / all hardworking changes as being conditional upon a shareholder approval.   If witnesses approve of the code, they must upgrade first.  After 2/3 of all witnesses have approved of the hard fork and are running code capable of supporting the change then the stakeholder approval is activated. 

What license is Bitshares source code developed under? Is it compatible with the Free software foundation's notion of open source?

BitShares is licensed under a BSD-style license with one extra restriction that prevents the code from being used by any other blockchains without permission of Cryptonomex.  The code is therefore Open Source (free to read, modify, and use), but not by the standards of the Free Software Foundation.

How are the Bitshares core developers documenting both the protocol and the source code? Is there an explicit method for how this should be done?

Currently a combination of doxygen and wiki pages.    The protocol is not currently documented in a manner suitable for standardization. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

How do you guarantee liveness, correctness and consistency as the network changes state?
How are blockchain reorganizations addressed?
0.  The consensus state is defined as a set of transactions / operations which have abstract meaning (expected behavior)
        - the state can be derived at any time by replaying the operations in order and applying deterministic transformations.
1.  The state is defined as a set of objects.  Each object is assigned an ID that includes, type and instance information.
2.  All modifications to the state go through a central API that enforces copy-on-write, saving the pre-modified state to an undo history.
3.  Any errors that are encountered mid-validation cause automatic reversion to the prior state.
4.  Validation snapshots are made for each block, and transaction.
5.  The blockchain retains the ability to revert back to any state that has not been confirmed by 2/3's of all witnesses if/when a longer chain is discovered.
6.  Perhaps to your point, the exact representation of the network state is not part of the consensus and is seen as an implementation detail.    This means there is no global hash of the state that is included in consensus.

Being a trading system, what prevents front running?

Users are prepared to get what they asked for when they place an order, if they get anything better then they win.  Front running can be performed by any computer between the user and the witness.  Witnesses are prevented from front running because the value of their job is greater than money they could make by front running and consistent front running by witnesses is detectable (statistically).  The combined nature of P2P broadcast and the unpredictability of which witness is next means that it is very difficult for anyone other than a witness to reliably front run. 

What economic incentives do those promoting a correct state have for honest behavior?

They are public, earning a healthy income with high margins as a witness node operator.  Dishonest behavior will cost them in the loss of future revenue and reputation.
There is a certainty of getting caught and there is amble redundancy such that it takes collusion of 2/3 of the witnesses to actually change something. 

Are there incentives for data relay?

Witnesses are paid by the network and their job is to include transactions.  Relay is part of that job along with running seed nodes.

What is an anticipated rate of growth for the Bitshares blockchain per day?

This depends upon transaction volume.  In the first 10 days the blockchain has grown to be 42MB in size, 4.2 MB per day and generated transaction fees of  $76 per MB of chain. 

How do you address forks in the network? What level of byzantine fault tolerance does the network have given a Quorum set N?

The longest blockchain built off of the "last irreversible block" is considered the best chain.
The last irreversible block is the block that has been confirmed by 2/3 of all witnesses.   Currently there are 31 unique and independent witnesses.  I will define N to be 31
Witnesses produce blocks on a deterministically shuffled schedule that guarantees that a LONE witness can only grow their blockchain by 1 block every 93 seconds on average.
A corollary to the above point is that a minority of witnesses will never be able to produce a longer chain than the majority.   Furthermore, a minority will be unable to advance the last irreversible block.
The witnesses maintain a maximum undo history of 10,000 blocks starting from the last irreversible block.  In a 60/40 network split during which 2/3 consensus is unable to be reached the 60% network can operate 11 hours without manual checkpointing.   This undo history can be expanded if necessary, but the witnesses are pro-active and can usually recover from any network issue in just a hour.  As soon as 2/3 agree the undo history resets to about 20-30 blocks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:35:58 pm by bytemaster »