Author Topic: Metatrader 4 and Bitshares  (Read 19912 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
It would also need to be packaged up with a nice installer etc

agreed will working on this ASAP! It's on my to do list ..

You are working on an installer for Metatrader already?  Great news... but don't we need the bond market for margin trading to be established first?

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
It would also need to be packaged up with a nice installer etc

agreed will working on this ASAP! It's on my to do list ..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline gamey

• View Profile

It would also need to be packaged up with a nice installer etc.  Having it like a lot of open source projects,where the developers work on it until it is no longer fun but works in some capacity would likely not help that much with adoption.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline monsterer

Since MT4 is a downloaded program that runs on your computer, would it be best to link it directly with the lite wallet or have it connect to the web wallet at Open Ledger?

How would the proof of work output thing work?

For this to be antifragile, the MT4 client would have to connect directly to bitshares wallet that you specify, preferably a locally installed full node. Otherwise the MT4 company would just go after the web wallet site.

Proof of work requires solving a hash; that takes some amount of time, thereby making spam time/electricity expensive while costing no currency.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Adding MT4 support will blow the doors off bts as far as adoption goes... Being able to use this platform in a decentralized exchange with no risk, could be the most game changing thing to hit finance in a long time.  Everyone could become a broker with no risk just by buying a MT4 license.

Since MT4 is a downloaded program that runs on your computer, would it be best to link it directly with the lite wallet or have it connect to the web wallet at Open Ledger?

How would the proof of work output thing work?

Offline monsterer

Metatrader4 is the defacto forex consumer trading platform http://www.metatrader4.com/en

The key feature of MT4 is the ability to buy, create and run your own trading bots - this is a massive source of liquidity and trading volume and there are vast libraries of such bots available on the metatrader marketplace https://www.mql5.com/en/market/mt4

There has been some discussion about how to integrate metatrader 4 with bitshares, and I have good experience of both platforms so I know what it will take. I've created this thread to open the discussion about how this might be achieved.

There are a few things to know about MT4 first:

1. This is a margin trading platform. You go long/short with your base currency as collateral in your desired market, and you always close your order with one of the opposite type, so if you buy, you must sell to close your position. This means you always end up back in the same currency you started out with.
2. There is typically leverage available, the amount varies depending on your broker
3. I *think* the available markets are hard coded into the platform, so you have to offer markets like EUR/USD, JPY/USD etc
4. The is no orderbook available to traders (this is a big negative point)
5. The spreads are typically denoted in Pips, which are fractions of a dollar (this is a bit of a sticking point for integration)
6. The metatrader 4 client side app communicates with the broker via a custom protocol - there would need to be a bitshares bridge server
7. Placing and cancelling limit orders is free
8. There are order types bitshares doesn't support right now, buy stop and sell stop which are resting orders which do not activate until the price reaches them (opposite way to regular limit orders)
9. Metatrader the corporation would almost certainly be opposed to this integration, so this would need to be done with no central point of failure in terms of legal ramifications

I propose something radical to address point 7, which is a huge point for existing MT4 users who would never accept having to pay for that: require a Proof of Work for placement and cancel orders, but have 0 transaction fee. That would prevent spam while costing no currency.

Point 8 could easily be addressed by adding these order types into the DEX.

In summary, I think it would be possible to integrate IF bitshares supported margin trading in a compatible way.

Cheers, Paul.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:51:31 pm by monsterer »
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads