Author Topic: Why are we Here? Why BitShares? Why this community? Why Me?  (Read 23262 times)

Offline jamesc

I have joined my peers in helping to re-share and encourage material like this Dan's post above.  Additionally, there's an enormous amount of material on social media ready to be screened and forwarded.  I intentionally avoid main-stream media and go for the more peer centric news sources.  Positive and negative events and strong verbiage ( like Dan's post ) are a way of evoking powerful emotions.  I believe this is a wise tool to use.

I am happy to make new connections and new friends especially to those who are awake human rights and are ready to be active.
https://www.facebook.com/james.calfee

This makes me uncomfortable.  I'm concerned that my friends will protest or my connections will block me, etc..  Occasionally I need to explain my actions.  I am, after all, asking a lot from people.  I keep in mind that what I am saying or sharing maybe received as new and very discomforting material.

I'll spare you further explanation, here are a few important ones ( I'll join the group here ):
= I'm for making long-term governance obsolete and I want to see it happen quickly and peacefully
= I do this because I woke up to the emotions I feel when I hear human lives are being been lost

So I encourage you to find your friends and fight for a greater cause.  I believe as most of us do, BitShares is positioned to be the best tool for the people.  This is not enough though.  The technology alone does not provide all of the motivation I need.  It is the shocking material that I find that does the trick.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:59:59 pm by jcalfee1 »

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Oh year if you ask 1000 people on the street if they like their government or not, 900 of them will answer not. But they will not pay you a fraction of cent to liberate them because a) they don't actually suffer from regime in most of the world (with very rare exceptions), they suffer from completely different things; and b) you can't give to those who actually suffer from regime any freedom anyway, my libertarian friend. WHAHAHA!!!

If they have a master they suffer. If they pay taxes they suffer. Getting used to the suffering seems to help some get by and these are the people you are describing.

So you're saying mental illness prevents people from fighting for their freedom. I agree. They are mentally ill and accept slavery because of their masters programming. However it is curable.

I'm not a Libertarian. I just don't see the need for a master and I can't ignore your or anyone else's master's atrocities and I can't live my life pretending it's legitimate or needed just to get by like others living with their programmed mental illness that allows them to not only accept their slavery but stand up for and promote it as you and millions of other sheep do publicly.

Embrace teh tyranny! Slavery is much easier! Consume! Obey! Conform! =/

Well said Tuck.

Offline brainbug

• View Profile
BM, many thanks for the good read! We enjoyed it and it was about time to see such a reflection :)

From our point of view, the Bitshares network needs (even) more scalable ideas to grow and get the deserved attention. Freedom, decentralized exchanges, currencies, coins, assets are nicely scalable, but the new black is elsewhere. We believe it is "securitization of things". UIA (and so on) could serve as the perfect basis for this! Agreed, other crypto coins support a couple of the required features too, but Bitshares is unique in that it offers virtually all the goodies, not just one or a few of them. Also, this is what still keeps us investing into the Bitshares network!

Now, it needs companies / legal entities / start-ups to build upon this framework. We wonder if Cryptonomix is interested in that business model, too. Cryptonomix, in the US, would be perfectly suited in our opinion. We are about to do the same in Switzerland.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
I'm here because I believe the world needs a financial revolution. Bitshares is the most promising tool for revolution that I know.

Most revolutions fail because they just overthrow the old power and don't give anything better instead. People are left in a chaotic situation and usually some evil power will rise and take control. The revolution is wasted and many times people are left in a worse situation than that what made them to start the revolution in the first place.

The proper way to have a revolution is to make sure first that there exists something better that people can actually start to use when the old power is overthrown.

I believe Bitshares is a great tool that can help us replace this big mess where financial markets have gone. When the next financial crisis comes, we can start to drift away from banks and other financial institutions and replace their services with Bitshares and the whole ecosystem that has been growing around it.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Its seems to me that a decentralized exchange and financial freedom go hand-in-hand... so I think the vision is stronger than ever.  Legacy exchanges that are now regulated still carry substantial risks of default.  Just because a goxing hasn't occured in a while doesn't mean that is the end of it.  Its almost guaranteed to happen again.  The custodian model simply does not work and let's not forget the lessons of the 2008 financial crisis.  Goxings occured on a very large scale but were masked by bailouts and monetary inflation.  Just because losses were socialized doesn't mean that many financial institutions didn't fail.  For instance, the bitcoin network could have bailed out mt gox with fake bitcoin created out of thin air (increasing the 21m limit), but that would have worsened the problem by keeping a failed, incompetent exchange alive, just as many zombie fiat banks are still alive because of fake fiat.  Bitcoin was a step in the right direction and bitshares is a continuation of that vision and it more directly solves the problem. 

I know its easy to get discouraged when prices aren't going anywhere but bitshares has actually outperformed other 2.0 projects (ripple, nxt, stellar) over the past 6 months since the beginning of the summer anouncements.  Of course bitshares has lost value to bitcoin which makes it seem worse.  We have to realize that this is a process that takes time and the dex is still only worthy of experimental amounts of money at this time.  Investors and traders are not going to dump large amounts of money into the exchange all of a sudden.  Over time, as users become more and more comfortable with the exchange, bugs are worked out, and the protocol becomes more solid, then users will begin to migrate towards the exchange.  After all, its only been a little over a month since launch.

Very very well put!

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
@bytemaster , let the BitShares to love!
Kevin Kelly《Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World》
伪命题:对区块链要不要提炼哲学思维
False proposition:do you want to extract the blockchain's philosophical thinking

互联网、区块链,进一步重申了:混乱、边缘、不确定,是宇宙存在的方式。

张朝阳认为这正是一个世界存在的状态。
“我觉得这正是一个世界存在的状态,我们应该用它共存,只有在这种不稳定、混乱、边缘和草根和去中心的状态下,伟大的东西才能产生。
其实我们人类就是这么产生的,整个宇宙就是在混乱中大爆炸,最后不断形成各种物理的规律,有了这样一个太阳系,而太阳系扔出来一块石头就是地球,所有的参数都正确了之后,产生了基于量力学微观的元素、原子和分子,以及产生了人生,都是在混乱中产生结构。
所以我们应该面对混乱、面对边缘,面对不稳定,心安理得,很平静,这正是宇宙间存在的方式。”

Vince said:
人类始终掌控机器进化的过程,但如何获得更好的进化,取得更好的效果,我们还是要向自然学习。学习到第一点就是回归简单。「我最终发现,想要得到和生命真正类似的行为,不是设法创造出真正复杂的生物,而是给简单的生物提供一个极其丰饶的变异环境。」因此,建造机器的思想,也从最初的给机器建立一个“中央大脑”思想,演进成制造许多简单而成本低廉的小机器,让他们去完成简单的任务。比如最近新片《普罗米修斯》里,走进迷宫时,宇航员放出了N多个小型探测器,它们只要发射红外波并且做到不触碰其他物体为原则,就能很好的完成任务。并不需要由一个机器去控制所有小探测器,它们只要傻傻的无休止的飞来飞去,就能完整的探索出地下迷宫地图。

以下是由布鲁克斯的移动机器人实验室开发出来的一套普适分布式控制方法: 先做简单的事。学会准确无误地做简单的事。 在简单任务的成果之上添加新的活动层级。 不要改变简单事物。 让新层级像简单层级那样准确无误地工作。 重复以上步骤,无限类推。

生物是”无我“的,你的意识是由许多混沌杂乱的细胞活动产生的结果。同一时间,你的身体在发出”我饿了,我渴了,我在写文章,我在听音乐,我想这个字的拼音这么打“等成百上千的想法,每个功能都在各司其职的发出信号,但最终汇总在一起的,对当前重要的想法,汇成了”我“。这个和佛教中无我有点像,本身是没有”我“的,觉得有”我“,是意识在活动的结果。

机器单独功能的思想建立后,一个更大机器的内部,或者机器群落之间,是什么样的形式相处,应该采取什么样的方法去推进进化,又要到自然去找答案。
http://book.douban.com/review/5582188/
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey tonyk, here are the results of your tips...
  • bytemaster: Insufficient funds for asset 1.3.658
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://btstip.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Offline btstip

• View Profile
Hey tonyk, here are the results of your tips...
  • fuzzy: Insufficient funds for asset 1.3.535
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://btstip.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1

1. Their activity is too public, easily tracked, and their profits/losses easily reported to the various taxing agencies. In this sense BitShares is contributing to enslavement.
2.  Attempting to do commerce with untrusted parties is still difficult (lack of simple escrow and dispute resolution).
3.  Lack of tools for building reputations, bonding users, etc
4.  Lack of tools to support and encourage civil disobedience and peaceful tax protests
I also not very agree 4.  Lack of tools to support and encourage civil disobedience and peaceful tax protests
I think  BTS can been a tool to civil disobedience and peaceful tax protests, but the purpose is not for it
like gun , gun can kill ,also can protect ,  it is neutral , it is neither  good nor bad ,
it is just make people have equal power  no matter you is  high or short , strong or weak.
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline btstip

• View Profile
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
Created by hybridd

Offline wallace

• View Profile
give me money, I will do...

Tuck Fheman

You have fotally tucked up this thread.

aww haww I see what you did there. =b

#btstip "donkeypong" 1 FISTBUMP

on topic : don't be a slave. but pay your tax because all laws end with "or we will f*****g kill you!". =)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

will you please shut up :)

we are testing a tipping bot here, not the cry of BM over how to make the community pay 45,000 while making said community truly believing they paid for some ideology stuff!

#btstip "fuzzy" 290000 BROWNIE.PTS

opps we broke the bot.
Error #377: apparent case of over tipping....restarting...@4% done....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:05:09 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile