Author Topic: 10k of bitUSD just got destroyed for no reason  (Read 5508 times)

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
no, force settle shouldn't used usually
we don't need give the force settle order the best price.
In fact we should  ask for a compensate from the force settle, give the compensate to shorters.
don't waste any time to develop this.

you wouldn't have to compensate the shorters if buy orders were used first because the smartcoins wouldn't have been destroyed/extinguished

if liquidity and volume is one of our biggest problems sure this would make sense because it stops the destruction of smartcoins?
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In fact we should  ask for a compensate from the force settle, give the compensate to shorters.
This!!

If we hadn't advertise bitUSD to be redemable for AT LEAST $1 .. I would even recommend to let settlement pay 1% for settlements .. anyway .. that opportunity is gone now

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
if i understand it correct it was "forced settled" and not margin called?

force settle means someone sells his USD for the feedprice and the least collaterized has to buy this sell order. so it is logic that your order will not be matched, because
the order has already a seller and a buyer.

Yes this was allsop using a settle order to convert USD he was holding into BTS at the feed price. Like you say this will not match buy orders on the orderbook because that's how it was designed. I saw that happen a few days ago as well where someone settled ~0.3 BTC and got a far worse price than what they'd gotten for just selling on the open market.

Perhaps making the settle order walk the orderbook until it hits the feed price is too complicated to implement, but there's definitely a case for having it do that rather than simply ignoring the orderbook.

Walking the order book up to a given price is a feature that is already there .. people not using it is their own fault ..

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

It buys BTS collateral of lowest shorts, not BTS on the orderbook.

Is there any reason why the system should not check the order book first, and if there are better offers than settlement price, take them first, then go buy lowest collateral? It would really seem to be a good deal for everybody.
The reason is no fund provided for develop this change, and/or no enough priority.

If you create smartcoin it is not always a short. it is only a short if you sell your newly created smartcoin.

when a smartcoin is force settled it takes the equivalent value in bts from the the lowest collateralised smartcoin and returns the remaining bts collateral to the smartcoin creator.

This is how it currently works and I understand it. What I am saying is that the system should check for any buy orders that are higher than the feed price first before taking collateral from the smartcoin creators. This way everyone wins.
Next time you can just borrow some USD first and keep you collateral ratio low, then sit there until your position are settled. No difference except that you'll get an even better deal.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline svk

force settle means someone sells his USD for the feedprice and the least collaterized has to buy this sell order. so it is logic that your order will not be matched, because

Yes this was allsop using a settle order to convert USD he was holding into BTS at the feed price. Like you say this will not match buy orders on the orderbook because that's how it was designed. I saw that happen a few days ago as well where someone settled ~0.3 BTC and got a far worse price than what they'd gotten for just selling on the open market.

Perhaps making the settle order walk the orderbook until it hits the feed price is too complicated to implement, but there's definitely a case for having it do that rather than simply ignoring the orderbook.

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Brent has been around for a long time... I'm guessing he was in at much higher levels and is just cutting his losses.  Really too bad as he was pretty active too...

You understand that by settling bitusd you are actually buying. so brent was actually purchasing $10k worth of bts.

Judging by his previous transfers, over 11 million bts sent to poloniexwallet, he is leaving bitshares.  I know he was the main jpy bitasset holder so it's not surprising to see a big usd position.  I'm guessing these 3.2 million shares he just received are going to poloniex very shortly.

Offline Thom

Is there any reason why the system should not check the order book first, and if there are better offers than settlement price, take them first, then go buy lowest collateral? It would really seem to be a good deal for everybody.

If I'm not mistaken I believe this is how orders were matched in BitShares 1. I don't recall the rationale for the change ATM.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Yeah, Brent's been in BitShares since before me. He was trying to get us all to go in on his consensus work, remember? Glad he's still trading.

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
It settles $10k short positions from the bottom collateral level. Buy orders never be matched.

Well there is no reason it shouldn't it shouldn't take any buy ordrers  that are above the feed price first is there?

As far as I saw, there were no orders over the feed price when he settled bitUSD.

my order price of 322 is still there and you can see on the blockchain that it was there at 12:56 when the feed price was lower

He settled about 24h ago.

He requested settlement 24hrs ago yes but the settlement occurred an hour ago. look at his account it says order filled at 321

You may misunderstand about settlement. It has no relationship with buy orders.

I understand settlement well.
His order to force settle was filled at 23:56 24hrs after he requested settlement.

It is equivalent to a bts buy order which you know will execute in 24hrs at feed price with guaranteed liquidity.

If you create smartcoin it is not always a short. it is only a short if you sell your newly created smartcoin.

when a smartcoin is force settled it takes the equivalent value in bts from the the lowest collateralised smartcoin and returns the remaining bts collateral to the smartcoin creator.

This is how it currently works and I understand it. What I am saying is that the system should check for any buy orders that are higher than the feed price first before taking collateral from the smartcoin creators. This way everyone wins.
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
It settles $10k short positions from the bottom collateral level. Buy orders never be matched.

Well there is no reason it shouldn't it shouldn't take any buy ordrers  that are above the feed price first is there?

As far as I saw, there were no orders over the feed price when he settled bitUSD.

my order price of 322 is still there and you can see on the blockchain that it was there at 12:56 when the feed price was lower

He requested settlement 24hrs ago yes but the settlement occurred an hour ago. look at his account it says order filled at 321

His order to force settle was filled at 23:56 24hrs after he requested settlement.

It is equivalent to a bts buy order which you know will execute in 24hrs at feed price with guaranteed liquidity.

Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile

twitter.com/bitshares

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop

Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop