Author Topic: [ANN] [STEEM] Introducing Steem, Looking for Witnesses / Miners  (Read 115198 times)

Xeldal

my hash rate on several nodes has dropped from ~6000 hps down to ~600 hps and it just stays there.  Another node with the exact same settings stays at 6000.

No clue.  I've restarted, replayed, resynced, rebooted.  no change.
That means you've found a pow and are in the queue to produce blocks. If you only have one witness/miner pair setup you stop mining while producing blocks.

Don't shut down your miner when this happens, I made that mistake too at first.

Well I've got 2 miners in config.  I'd have expected the hash rate to drop to 0 if both were in queue but it only drops to ~600  and it seems to stay that way indefinitely.  Going on 14 hours now at 600 hps.
That does sound strange then. Have you actually produced any blocks? list_my_accounts is the easiest way to check balances, assuming you've imported your private keys.
My DigitalOcean nodes don't have this issue while all but 1 of my AWS instances do. 
Most of the AWS nodes have not produced anything but some have.

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
It could be that the transaction was broadcast too late to be included by the producer.   There is a race condition where if you broadcast it, but the producer doesn't receive it in time and so it is "stale" and not included in the blockchain.

Thanks for the explanation. Does "in time" mean that a POW based on the hash of block n is only accepted if it is included in block n+1?
That would severely (and unnecessarily IMO) punish miners on a "high"-latency connection. For example, with a (perfectly normal) latency of 300ms a miner can effectively only mine from t+0.3s until t+2.7s, which is a 20% reduction of efficiency!
Moreover, this means that the currently active witnesses automatically have a higher than average chance to have their own POWs included in the chain in time.
Even worse, it means that the currently active witnesses can deliberately drop POWs from other miners, thereby increasing their own effective hashrate!

IMO there's no reason to not accept POWs that are based on the hash of one of the latest 21 blocks (for example).
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline svk

my hash rate on several nodes has dropped from ~6000 hps down to ~600 hps and it just stays there.  Another node with the exact same settings stays at 6000.

That means you've found a pow and are in the queue to produce blocks. If you only have one witness/miner pair setup you stop mining while producing blocks.

Well I've got 2 miners in config.  I'd have expected the hash rate to drop to 0 if both were in queue but it only drops to ~600  and it seems to stay that way indefinitely.  Going on 14 hours now at 600 hps.
That does sound strange then. Have you actually produced any blocks? list_my_accounts is the easiest way to check balances, assuming you've imported your private keys.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Xeldal

Offline svk

Offline roadscape

Very interesting.. +5%

Sparkle has come a long way :P
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline bytemaster

There is something not working here.
I've been mining since yesterday with my quad-core at ~22khps. The client tells me it'll take 50-150 minutes to solve a POW. Indeed I sometimes see a message like "Broadcasting Proof of Work for cyrano", but that's it. No accumulating STEEM, not even POW transactions in my account history (except for one yesterday, almost immediately after I started).

Any ideas?
With pow you only mine a 'ticket' in the block production queue .. once you got a ticket mined you need to wait for your round to actually produce a few blocks .. (maybe 20 or so)

I know that. I should be mining a ticket every 2 hours or so, but I'm not.

What I'm seeing is messages like this:
Code: [Select]
hash rate: 21507 hps  target: 27 queue: 95 estimated time to produce: 104.01088637807846737 minutesand in the 30 hours I've been mining a grand total of 5 messages like
Broadcasting Proof of Work for cyranoIf I understand this correctly each "Broadcasting POW" should result in a transaction that gets me a place in the queue, but only one of these made it into my account history.

Edit: sometimes you just have to complain to make it work I guess...
2016-04-03 17:55:16.269806500 3316269ms th_a       witness.cpp:436               operator()           ] Broadcasting Proof of Work for cyrano
2     285428     4a49bdf267c686f76b2558cf6ac3807eb1373e62 pow                  {"worker_account":"cyrano", ...
Nevertheless, this only proves my assumption that for every "Broadcasting POW" message there should be one TX in my account history, but there isn't.

It could be that the transaction was broadcast too late to be included by the producer.   There is a race condition where if you broadcast it, but the producer doesn't receive it in time and so it is "stale" and not included in the blockchain.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Xeldal

Offline pc

• View Profile
I've been mining since yesterday with my quad-core at ~22khps. The client tells me it'll take 50-150 minutes to solve a POW. Indeed I sometimes see a message like "Broadcasting Proof of Work for cyrano", but that's it. No accumulating STEEM, not even POW transactions in my account history (except for one yesterday, almost immediately after I started).

Any ideas?
With pow you only mine a 'ticket' in the block production queue .. once you got a ticket mined you need to wait for your round to actually produce a few blocks .. (maybe 20 or so)

I know that. I should be mining a ticket every 2 hours or so, but I'm not.

What I'm seeing is messages like this:
hash rate: 21507 hps  target: 27 queue: 95 estimated time to produce: 104.01088637807846737 minutesand in the 30 hours I've been mining a grand total of 5 messages like
Broadcasting Proof of Work for cyranoIf I understand this correctly each "Broadcasting POW" should result in a transaction that gets me a place in the queue, but only one of these made it into my account history.

Edit: sometimes you just have to complain to make it work I guess...
2016-04-03 17:55:16.269806500 3316269ms th_a       witness.cpp:436               operator()           ] Broadcasting Proof of Work for cyrano
2     285428     4a49bdf267c686f76b2558cf6ac3807eb1373e62 pow                  {"worker_account":"cyrano", ...
Nevertheless, this only proves my assumption that for every "Broadcasting POW" message there should be one TX in my account history, but there isn't.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:07:11 pm by pc »
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Funny? It makes you look very bad and will leave a stain on this coin that you're gonna have to work very hard to overcome, if it's even possible..

Said about every altcoin ever started.. since the beginning of time... after some random guy goes on about it being a scam.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Any ideas?

Offline pc

• View Profile

Any ideas?

Offline svk

I am mining
this right?
nable-stale-production)
1040032ms th_a       witness.cpp:215               block_production_loo ] Not producing block because production is disabled until we receive a recent block (see: --enable-stale-production)
1040292ms th_a       application.cpp:660           get_blockchain_synop ] synopsis: ["0004161ba5297bef65fa416e74b3490ca321e7bd"]
1041029ms th_a       witness.cpp:215               block_production_loo ] Not producing block because production is disabled until we receive a recent block (see: --enable-stale-production)

I don't think so...

And am I mining? It's been 6 hrs, and still nothing...
532459ms th_a       application.cpp:394           handle_transaction   ] Got 1 transactions from network
534065ms th_a       witness.cpp:352               on_applied_block     ] hash rate: 14784 hps  target: 28 queue: 98 estimated time to produce: 302.61933621933621907 minutes
537432ms th_a       witness.cpp:352               on_applied_block     ] hash rate: 14443 hps  target: 28 queue: 98 estimated time to produce: 309.76419488102658306 minutes
540266ms th_a       witness.cpp:352               on_applied_block     ] hash rate: 14916 hps  target: 28 queue: 98 estimated time to produce: 299.94128899615623141 minutes

hrossik is mining, ebit is not.

You probably need to add some seed nodes @ebit, you can add these to the config.ini:

seed-node = 52.37.169.52:2001
seed-node = 52.26.78.244:2001