Author Topic: Beyond Bitcoin (BitShares) Hangout w/ Bytemaster Tomorrow @ 10AM EST  (Read 2878 times)

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline inertia

• The best governance is that which governs least.
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: inertia186
  • GitHub: inertia186
Oh, I didn't record it.  I just pasted what was posted in slack.  :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline testz

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D06C9927CA1D1F35!9105&authkey=!AFwwmibY9UYLz2o&ithint=folder%2cAMR

Thanks, but I'm looking for the Soundcloud link.  Usually @testz uploads a recording there.  @testz, any word on that?  Would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Yesterday I was unavailable, so I asked @fuzzy to record it. In few hours I will put @tbone recording at SC and replace it later if fuzzy will give me recording with better quality.
Thanks @tbone for recording.

That was actually @inertia.  But I appreciate that you will upload it.  And thanks to @inertia for recording it!

E147 2016-04-08 Developer Hangout with Bytemaster (Raw) published at SC and Youtube.
Thanks @inertia for recording.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D06C9927CA1D1F35!9105&authkey=!AFwwmibY9UYLz2o&ithint=folder%2cAMR

Thanks, but I'm looking for the Soundcloud link.  Usually @testz uploads a recording there.  @testz, any word on that?  Would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Yesterday I was unavailable, so I asked @fuzzy to record it. In few hours I will put @tbone recording at SC and replace it later if fuzzy will give me recording with better quality.

That was actually @inertia.  But I appreciate that you will upload it.  And thanks to @inertia for recording it!

Offline testz

Offline tbone

• View Profile

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Does anyone have a link to a recording of today's mumble?  I missed the first 15 minutes.  Thanks.

Offline fuzzy

Offline tbone

• View Profile
We need to specifically discuss the primary options for stealth implementation.  Should we complete @onceuponatime's version, or should we move forward with the alternative?  What are the pros and cons of each path forward? 

Offline tbone

• View Profile
@roadscape had a great idea about backing up a user's keys (and perhaps email address) on the blockchain which got very positive feedback.  See below.  We should discuss this during the mumble.

The server-side wallet storage was not part of the proposal, but something we felt was necessary to backup/secure user funds. We do not yet have confidence in the reliability of server-side storage to enable this feature. There is a significant about of liability associated in offering to host/backup user wallets.  We don't want to be responsible for the loss of funds.

Why not backup wallets directly on the blockchain? Along with a hash of the owner's email for easy lookups later. And maybe some random noise.

+5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%
Forget servers, we have a blockchain!

How about this...
Throw a bunch of different random numbers and other noise (maybe even the brainkey too?) into a json file, then compress it, encrypt it, base58 encode it, and throw that single text string into a memo. then, there is your backup. just call it up via wif, throw your key at it, and voila'... would that work? It would only cost a few BTS to store it as a transaction in a block too (for LTM's of course). For extra security, make a second backup. Yes? No? Horrible idea?

Hiring (and having to constantly trust) a backup server company is a huge expense and risk that Bitshares' name does not need. I think we should leverage the tools that we already have as much as possible. We have the most scalable chain on earth, let's really show it off!

this would be awsome!

how likely is it, that someone could entcode my password?

We would have to use very secure passwords.. maybe encrypt the wallet using its own brain key. That would make it easy to recover and hard to hack.. isn't this effectively a brain wallet?

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Picking up on last week's theme of stabilizing the codebase and driving user adoption of the the current set of features, I think we really need to focus like a laser on incentivizing liquidity and finishing a hosted web wallet complete with automatic backups, password recovery, 2FA, and basic privacy.  We absolutely need a wallet with these features if we want to get anywhere.  Let's create a roadmap with these items and launch a "Manhattan Project" type of effort to get it done in as little time as possible.   I think we can get the anti-dilution crowd on board with a plan like this. 

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
I won't be able to join however hope to see a discussion on Stealth and user privacy options.

BM mentioned our account balance can be hidden, how so?  If Account A has 100 bts and blind transfers to account B 100bts with the blind feature, we can still see Account A HAD 100bts and now has 0?  We can easily assume Account B now has 100bts.  What am I missing here?  Is the only way to gain true stealth still through a mixing service?  This appears to be similar to 0.93?

Once a balance is hidden, how will it effect voting?

Can additional features be added to hide things like who we are voting for?  Our white/black lists?  Assets?  Permissions?

Another example is when we browse a user's ID, why does the membership option even appear?  Perhaps removing things like this could minimize data usage and lower latency?

Offline fuzzy

This Hangout is w/ Bytemaster of Cryptonomex

Please ask questions Here:

Follow Twitter: @Beyond_Bitcoin

Retweet This Week's Hangout [ANN]!

Or better yet--Join us!  For updates on upcoming events, attend, record and report live from our Mumble Server!

**Attention Brownie/UIA/Alt-Token Lovers**
Make an account at ShareBits.io and OpenLedger.info to access the sharebot's customized token sending features.
Sponsor the latest Beyond Bitcoin Hangouts by sending to our attendees and volunteers via the ShareBits.io Guestbook!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:56:44 pm by fuzzy »