Author Topic: Move Bitsharestalk to Steemit?  (Read 16906 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Keep it here unless/until the two merge their features somehow.

EDIT: I have gained enough experience now with STEEM to know that it works very well. While I opposed moving the forum there before, I now would support such a move, if that is what the community decides. It would provide more synergy and reward the people who are still active on this forum.

My opinion on this issue has changed. I have edited my earlier post (see above).

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
While I agree I3/Larimers/CNX totally raked their shareholders (of ags/pts/btsx/dns/brownies/bts2.0 and soon to be steem) over the coals... there's not much we can do now.  I would say they perhaps knowingly overpromised and embelished in order to sell share's in their investment.  It's not the first or last time that this has happened int he investment world.

Back to moving bts to steem.

Personally I think the format for steem needs a lot of work.  It's basically 5 or 6 people spamming articles trying to earn pay.  Most articles have nothing to do with blockchains or fintech.  Plus there is no way to sort articles by recent responses.  I feel like I have to re read to whole thread just to find the latest comment.  This forum does a good job saving your history of recently viewed or responded to posts.  Until steem can replicate some of the good features of this forum, I don't think talk should be moved over their.  Plus steem is super unorganized.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Steem's unlimited range of topics appeals to an infinitely wider audience than BitSharesTalk and thus has the benefit of bringing new eyeballs to anything about BitShares posted there.

This includes new DEX users who have picked up a head of Steem and now want to know what other cool things you can do with it.

Kind of like Plutonium.

It's fortunate that those with intractably bitter attitudes want to stay here on BitSharesTalk where no one will see their posts and only positive, optimistic people want to move their constructive, forward thinking opinions into the bright, puffy cloud of Steem where snide comments quickly sink into oblivion.  So it's a really beautiful, self-reinforcing Darwinian selection process. 

No need to formally make such a group decision.  It will sort itself out.

:)

It is very much true that shady people who have one consistent trait of not following through with what they say they're going to do would prefer a site where they and their cohorts can bury any messages pointing this out.

Edit - It shows a lack of integrity to not speak of one's truth beliefs.

All he's done is work tirelessly, tirelessly for BitShares. He has tried to remain a source of optimism, enthuse and inspire the community consistently for years. He is not responsible for project failures and changes of necessity along the way. You would be hard pressed to find anyone with more integrity than Stan. It saddens me that more people who should know better do not realise that.

If you don't like Steem, don't go there but please realise.....for your sake.....that Steemit is BitShares. It took me a while to figure out too ;)) Steemit is one of the many ways we can increase the chance of BitShares decentralised market features reaching  a wider audience and continue its development. Supporting Steemit is supporting BitShares. Consider that this may be a significant step to moving beyond an aggressive, often misrepresentative crypto only crowd. Blockchain tech desperately needs new minds.

I do have to ask, how do you think Steemit advances blockchain tech ?  Give us a rundown on this?

IMO basically one could rewrite STEEMIT using a centralized database, but there would be no suckers to buy the tokens because they're not "crypto".  THATS IT.

Am I missing something ?

This "all he is done" is bullshit. I had your attitude ~ 2 years ago and argued with a guy named Adam B Levine. He had quite a bit of history before me.  While I do think he was carried away with hyperbole, (Suggesting Larimers owned 40%+ of BTS etc)  I do think he had legitimate reasons for most everything he said. When these situations repeat themselves, perhaps you should step away and wonder what is really going on and learn from history.

Thats all I will say on this matter, out of respect to collateral damage to various hard working honest supporters. I feel like a dick both ways. Be honest and hurt people, say nothing and let people learn their lesson. "Voluntary shunning" is not that great if you let the next guy get screwed.
Steemit has the potential to enhance the conversation, to bring new ideas, new capital in. All of which increase the chance of further development.

You say my attitude is 'bullshit.' You are of course entitled to you're opinion. I believe in honesty, even if it hurts.  But I don't believe in casual references to complex history, fraught with competing ideas, agendas and a multitude of challenges that then lead to an over-simplistic judgement against a man's integrity. Especially one that has deeply enhanced the community with his intellect, humour and optimism. With friends like these......!

I have no doubt that from your perspective, you feel Stan has over promised and under delivered. Fair enough, but that is certainly not a question of integrity from my perspective.

I never said your attitude was bullshit. (????)    I said "Just stop the anti-dilution bullshit ... "  This was a reference in what needs to happen to get BTS going forward without any active devs.  Or just hope they do what they say. I get it. You're a nice guy. No doubt Bytemaster has put in a lot of hard work. There is no doubt BitShares wouldn't exist if not for him. I used to stand up for him too. These roles were reversed ~2 years ago when I was you fighting off what I felt was FUD.

It would have been real easy to continue with the social consensus.  Do you remember that? It is what pulled in a lot of us, including myself.  But no, it is another weird premine from Dan. Now they'd like the few active posters to go over to steemit. Well duh, but should we? You may want to go and I wish you the best experience possible on their site. Just not my thing and I don't want to see users poached for a project that shows no benefit to BTS outside of our wishful thinking.
Ok sorry, I misunderstood the bullshit comment. I didn't take it to heart anyway. I don't believe any of the objections to Steem or the motives of the Graphene devs or the status of the BitShares/Steem community or the configuration of native units in Steem are fud. I genuinely welcome the analysis (such as it is.....mine is certainly not very scientific) and the discourse around such topics. I simply believe I have an understanding of flow of events that have led to the launch of Steem. I chose to trust....because I think they've earned it....the core devs primarily and partners within the BitShares/Graphene economy. The reason I am part of the discussion is because I hope for a unity of purpose from within all our connected communities so that we can all be a part of all of the success that will come if we get it right.

Social consensus has failed in many respects which is presumably why it was abandoned in favour of other means to gather support and generate adequate incentives. I was a huge fan of the social consensus but I can accept it was flawed and have come around to the idea of trying new methods.

Don't forget that one of the purposes for the distribution (or apparent initial lack thereof) was to avoid any imperial entanglements. This may be of critical importance in the future.

The way I see it, there is no need for any division between BitShares and Steem from the perspective of the people involved....there is absolutely no them and us. I've been wrong about many things and will be again but that's the way I see it.  I think Steem as a platform will be good for people in general, good for communities (not currently in crypto but need it) and good for BitShares. I know that you've been a staunch defender of everything we are talking about, heck, you've made greater efforts than I have to communicate, challenge and discuss. I also think I understand how you feel. All I can say is thank you gamey.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Steem's unlimited range of topics appeals to an infinitely wider audience than BitSharesTalk and thus has the benefit of bringing new eyeballs to anything about BitShares posted there.

This includes new DEX users who have picked up a head of Steem and now want to know what other cool things you can do with it.

Kind of like Plutonium.

It's fortunate that those with intractably bitter attitudes want to stay here on BitSharesTalk where no one will see their posts and only positive, optimistic people want to move their constructive, forward thinking opinions into the bright, puffy cloud of Steem where snide comments quickly sink into oblivion.  So it's a really beautiful, self-reinforcing Darwinian selection process. 

It is very much true that shady people who have one consistent trait of not following through with what they say they're going to do would prefer a site where they and their cohorts can bury any messages pointing this out.

All he's done is work tirelessly, tirelessly for BitShares. He has tried to remain a source of optimism, enthuse and inspire the community consistently for years. He is not responsible for project failures and changes of necessity along the way. You would be hard pressed to find anyone with more integrity than Stan. It saddens me that more people who should know better do not realise that.

If you don't like Steem, don't go there but please realise.....for your sake.....that Steemit is BitShares. It took me a while to figure out too ;)) Steemit is one of the many ways we can increase the chance of BitShares decentralised market features reaching  a wider audience and continue its development. Supporting Steemit is supporting BitShares. Consider that this may be a significant step to moving beyond an aggressive, often misrepresentative crypto only crowd. Blockchain tech desperately needs new minds.

I do have to ask, how do you think Steemit advances blockchain tech ?  Give us a rundown on this?

IMO basically one could rewrite STEEMIT using a centralized database, but there would be no suckers to buy the tokens because they're not "crypto".  THATS IT.

Am I missing something ?

This "all he is done" is bullshit. I had your attitude ~ 2 years ago and argued with a guy named Adam B Levine. He had quite a bit of history before me.  While I do think he was carried away with hyperbole, (Suggesting Larimers owned 40%+ of BTS etc)  I do think he had legitimate reasons for most everything he said. When these situations repeat themselves, perhaps you should step away and wonder what is really going on and learn from history.

Thats all I will say on this matter, out of respect to collateral damage to various hard working honest supporters. I feel like a dick both ways. Be honest and hurt people, say nothing and let people learn their lesson. "Voluntary shunning" is not that great if you let the next guy get screwed.
Steemit has the potential to enhance the conversation, to bring new ideas, new capital in. All of which increase the chance of further development.

You say my attitude is 'bullshit.' You are of course entitled to you're opinion. I believe in honesty, even if it hurts.  But I don't believe in casual references to complex history, fraught with competing ideas, agendas and a multitude of challenges that then lead to an over-simplistic judgement against a man's integrity. Especially one that has deeply enhanced the community with his intellect, humour and optimism. With friends like these......!

I have no doubt that from your perspective, you feel Stan has over promised and under delivered. Fair enough, but that is certainly not a question of integrity from my perspective.

I never said your attitude was bullshit. (????)    I said "Just stop the anti-dilution bullshit ... "  This was a reference in what needs to happen to get BTS going forward without any active devs.  Oh wait - I said this appeal to his tireless selfless work is bullshit.

You're a nice guy. No doubt Bytemaster has put in a lot of hard work. There is no doubt BitShares wouldn't exist if not for him. I used to stand up for him too. These roles were reversed ~2 years ago when I was you fighting off what I felt was FUD.

I did a lot of what I consider shitty work because no one else was doing it. When asking Dan questions about stuff I had started on, I got no response. He was plenty content to just waste my time. We all see different sides. 

It would have been real easy to continue with the social consensus.  Do you remember that? It is what pulled in a lot of us, including myself.  But no, it is another weird premine from Dan. Now they'd like the few active posters to go over to steemit. Well duh, but should we? You may want to go and I wish you the best experience possible on their site. Just not my thing and I don't want to see users poached for a project that shows no benefit to BTS outside of our wishful thinking.

edit - I'm not Dan's friend or enemy. He is a guy in a project that *I* made the mistake of believing in.  A lot of the stuff that I am displeased with was not intentional. A lot were just poor decisions.  A lot seem to have been made without taking the effects on others into account. Well... this is what happens.

Honestly, sticking up for them too much is probably not a good idea as it just invites responses.  I'd just tell people "Hey there is a group/thread/whatever for BitShares over on steemit." Post direct links. That'd be plenty of cool. People coming around here and trying to get the users to move over is something different. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:40:41 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Kind of like Plutonium.

Am I missing something ?

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Kind of like Plutonium.

Am I missing something ?

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Kind of like Plutonium.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I wish there was a way to believe Steemit was an advantage of BTS and not just an attempt to steal early adopters.

Offline Moon

• View Profile
We all know mindphlux was a thief,

link:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21212.msg275947.html#msg275947

so, Why do we support him .Almost 1 year,
today,he have 215,272,616 BTS vote
how do you think  the price fall? maybe perhaps you can see from here,

we have been around a thief

This is our committee ?
This is our shame !

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:47:58 am by Moon »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I haven't dig further into the algo . But with what control can you upvote a post ? Stake ?
Then what if people with criticisms buys a lot of stake and then upvote a criticisms post ?

I don't know if it is stake weighted or not. I've glanced at the landing page but have no interest in using a site with a small userbase.  Outside of possibly being paid to post,what incentive is there? Why rely on any project Bytemaster is the head of?  Why ? Because it exists and uses the same codebase as BitShares?

Ohhh I can be paid to post?  Give me a break for once.

It'll probably go to the moon because of my negativity. If it does it'll be one more thing where I chuckle about over beers.

There are legitimate reasons to use it in the interest of BTS.  Shared codebase means that  Bytemaster in theory would ask for less money to integrate improvements. More testing is done. Perhaps  he follows through with what he says ?

Still, just not my thing. It is a freemarket thing right. If you want to go start up BTS discussions there feel free.

As far as I can tell Steemit points is brownie points v2, but not even fungible so a sucker can buy them.  Are smart people who have the potential to make a decent wage going to use such a site for the few dollars they make??

Please inform me of any misconceptions. I fought FUD at the expense of my integrity back when. FUD is not something I wish to create now. I still and will always be a fan of BTS. Long live BitShares!

Just need to stop the anti-dillution bullshit and dig up some new devs since the crew seems to have sold out... There is a chance and thats why i have yet to claim my vested BTS.

What I question myself about is the guys who work on the project. I'm sure they're great guys. Almost all devs are. It isn't an easy way to make a living if you are a real dev.  It may pay well, but not for the lazy. My negativity does wear on me a bit, but then letting truth v5 be the new thing also wears on me.

Anyway, I have to stop typing.. I start becoming truly negative by my own standards. I start addressing those "intractably" bitter comments but lay on the delete key.  looool. 

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

Kind of like Plutonium.

hmm . I thought STEEM is a blockchain . I don't think burying information is possible .

Even with so-called up-vote and down-vote system , I can still build a site where the sorting algo will be different from STEEMIT right ?

Just like a Blockchain explorer can choose whether their Block info displays from top to bottom or bottom to top .

Sure. You're right, but is anyone going to do this?  Does it make any sense? Can you discern algorithmically why things have been voted down?

The information will be on the blockchain regardless. The difference is what level is it presented to users.

You can extract posts off the blockchain, but you could just as well use pastebin from the start and pass around the URL etc.

Upvoting/downvoting is great to get out the crap posts.

Not so great for legitimate criticisms.

I haven't dig further into the algo . But with what control can you upvote a post ? Stake ?
Then what if people with criticisms buys a lot of stake and then upvote a criticisms post ?

PS. I forgot ...they premined 80% stake ..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:35:24 am by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Kind of like Plutonium.

hmm . I thought STEEM is a blockchain . I don't think burying information is possible .

Even with so-called up-vote and down-vote system , I can still build a site where the sorting algo will be different from STEEMIT right ?

Just like a Blockchain explorer can choose whether their Block info displays from top to bottom or bottom to top .

Sure. You're right, but is anyone going to do this?  Does it make any sense? Can you discern algorithmically why things have been voted down?

The information will be on the blockchain regardless. The difference is what level is it presented to users.

You can extract posts off the blockchain, but you could just as well use pastebin from the start and pass around the URL etc.

Upvoting/downvoting is great to get out the crap posts.

Not so great for legitimate criticisms.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow

Kind of like Plutonium.

yes, you're correct. I suspect steemit.com itself will give more options for viewing order as the site matures.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

Kind of like Plutonium.

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
What would we do without the Knights who say "Nay!" ?

Behind every successful entrepreneur is the heaping pile of naysayers she chose to ignore.

There are naysayers who say "no it won't work" and there are many naysayers who had a close history with certain people and want others to at least know what they're getting into.

BitShares is an impressive crypto-currency. I have nothing bad to say about BitShares 2.0 btw.