Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] BitAsset PhD Research project - University of Colorado  (Read 76281 times)

Offline twitter

• View Profile
Hi Dr. brown,

i used to play with anytime algorithm for my graduate research in boston about 15 years ago. My supervisor Dr. eugene Eberbach told me my research was for  academic only . there were not  robotics that can use our research since none know where AI will go .  there will be the same situation you are facing as i faced  10 years ago in your upcoming bts research project.  My advice is  you can keep on taking this project and try to seeking fund form other source due to you won't be able to do any real help to  bts system and more importantly (lol) bts'e price is at less than 3 cent.  Bts system won't have enough money for non-profit research ......

Best regards

Twitter

I am pro research (0.5 year), but why should we finance a student and travel costs?

The worker already has 15k $ and it is unclear, which benefits the community gets from the worker.

One solution is here with the settlement fund: https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/182
(Time to respond to my BSIP)

The main problem BTS has, is the deficit spending by overpriced workers, which dump BTS and don't bring any real value to the ecosystem.

Bench, maybe your mind is made up and an explanation wouldn't change it, but here you go:

In the US university system, practically all research is done by advanced PhD students; those students are directed by professors and paid a small stipend by external funding sources. The research is the student.

I wrote the Decentralized 2019 paper on my own time because I think the BitAsset problem is a very interesting one and I was making a good-faith effort to launch the project before funding arrived. Unfortunately, my own time is very limited, and unless an external funding source "buys" some of my official University time, I can't devote the many many hours that it will take to do justice to this problem. This is where the student comes in: he will spend the bulk of the time on the project, and he must be the first one to get paid -- I won't take a cent for myself from this worker unless he is funded full-time. Half-time funding isn't really appropriate for a PhD student.

To put this another way: your BSIP deserves more than my quick comments, but my in-depth comments will take time. Nonetheless, give me a few minutes and I will go write some quick comments on your BSIP.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:31:30 am by twitter »
witness:

Offline bench

@biophil:
1. How can your theoretical model be applied to a market with external parameters?
2. How does your worker solve systematic market problems?
3. What options/solutions do you want to research?
Be part of the change and vote for the bitshares-vision proxy!

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
if BTS ecosystem is always so weak and BTS price is not sustainable, it's not easy to convince BTS holders to support continuous inflation via worker proposal.

I do not understand why it's so hard to push the USDMCR 1.5 proposal, it's obvious it will help to make USD and also the whole ecosystem healthy.

Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I am pro research (0.5 year), but why should we finance a student and travel costs?

The worker already has 15k $ and it is unclear, which benefits the community gets from the worker.

One solution is here with the settlement fund: https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/182

The main problem BTS has, is the deficit spending by overpriced workers, which dump BTS and don't bring any real value to the ecosystem.

Bench, maybe your mind is made up and an explanation wouldn't change it, but here you go:

In the US university system, practically all research is done by advanced PhD students; those students are directed by professors and paid a small stipend by external funding sources. The research is the student.

I wrote the Decentralized 2019 paper on my own time because I think the BitAsset problem is a very interesting one and I was making a good-faith effort to launch the project before funding arrived. Unfortunately, my own time is very limited, and unless an external funding source "buys" some of my official University time, I can't devote the many many hours that it will take to do justice to this problem. This is where the student comes in: he will spend the bulk of the time on the project, and he must be the first one to get paid -- I won't take a cent for myself from this worker unless he is funded full-time. Half-time funding isn't really appropriate for a PhD student.

To put this another way: your BSIP deserves more than my quick comments, but my in-depth comments will take time. Nonetheless, give me a few minutes and I will go write some quick comments on your BSIP.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
Due to recent votes by large proxies, this worker is currently not being funded. Early yesterday, the 400k refund worker was voted in, which de-funded nearly all meaningful worker proposals, including this one.

Without funding, this research cannot continue as I will be required to find another funding source for the student. There is no way around this; so far, the worker has not even collected enough funds for half a year of student funding, far below the minimum required to ensure the success of the project.

If you support this research, it is imperative that you set your voting proxy to a voter who is supporting this worker and is not supporting the 400k refund worker.

Examples of proxies who are supporting this worker and not the 400k refund:

- xeroc
- evangelist-of-bts
- clockwork
- fractalnode
- bitshareseurope
- bitspark-delegate
- dls.cipher

Even now, I am considering withdrawing the research paper that I submitted to Decentralized 2019 because I may not have the funds to travel to Greece to present the research.

Dont withdraw nothing and hold on for a week or two, we are all working hard to bridge gap over this huge hole of miss-understanding and get parties getting along well. I'm pretty confident that both price of BTS and the worker will work out well for you, if not - ill personally setup and submit "additional milestone" worker for the missing funds.

As always, thanks for your continued support, and I won't withdraw the paper yet. If the BTS price recovers, then all is well. Otherwise I'm open to figuring out some kind of alternative funding source/mechanism.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher

No need to compare unless you have some Educational backed research to share around here and keep in mind that you're addressing account number 1361 of the BitShares blockchain. If nothing, his eyes and brain seen and accumulated more than you or myself can do in another lifetime.

PhD Student is in this case hired by the University to do a research on behalf of it, under strict supervision of Assistant Professor (biophil). You think someone will issue paper and spend 2 years to do research for free utilizing University/Educational budget ? At the time he will not be even student anymore.

We sponsor University to cover the costs for doing so.

Chee®s
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher
Due to recent votes by large proxies, this worker is currently not being funded. Early yesterday, the 400k refund worker was voted in, which de-funded nearly all meaningful worker proposals, including this one.

Without funding, this research cannot continue as I will be required to find another funding source for the student. There is no way around this; so far, the worker has not even collected enough funds for half a year of student funding, far below the minimum required to ensure the success of the project.

If you support this research, it is imperative that you set your voting proxy to a voter who is supporting this worker and is not supporting the 400k refund worker.

- xeroc
- evangelist-of-bts
- clockwork
- fractalnode
- bitshareseurope
- bitspark-delegate
- dls.cipher

Even now, I am considering withdrawing the research paper that I submitted to Decentralized 2019 because I may not have the funds to travel to Greece to present the research.

Dont withdraw nothing and hold on for a week or two, we are all working hard to bridge gap over this huge hole of miss-understanding and get parties getting along well. I'm pretty confident that both price of BTS and the worker will work out well for you, if not - ill personally setup and submit "additional milestone" worker for the missing funds.
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline bench

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:25:43 am by bench »

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website

- xeroc
- evangelist-of-bts
- clockwork
- fractalnode
- bitshareseurope
- bitspark-delegate
- dls.cipher

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:43:30 pm by biophil »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
The worker is now active. Please keep up the good work.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
A low CR becomes a problem, when there are not enough debt asset holder, who buy up the bad debt before CR hits 1.

The settlement protection fund combined with a variable MCR and MSSR, should be the best solution to this problem. 
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/182

We will be looking into solutions like these.

Offline bench

A low CR becomes a problem, when there are not enough debt asset holder, who buy up the bad debt before CR hits 1.

The settlement protection fund combined with a variable MCR and MSSR, should be the best solution to this problem. 
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/182
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:34:14 pm by bench »

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
There was no consensus within Cn-vote, but we started voting.

Thanks! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help the community come to a decision.