Author Topic: 111* days estimated for Difficulty to retarget. Could this kill PTS?  (Read 94116 times)

Offline testz

Re: 42 days estimated for Difficulty to retarget. Could this kill PTS?
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:45 pm »

Now I will do as the other miners, I will come only when the difficulty is low  :(

You do everything right, it's a regular miner strategy to mine more profitable coins.
You will back to mine PTS when difficulty will lower or exchange rate will grow.

Offline bile666

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »
The problem we are talking about is not comparable with or btc ltc. You talk about profitability.

I would like to avoid the mining of PTS is profitable only 3 days every 50 days. I prefer an average return for 55 days and requires miners stayed on the pts to benefit throughout the period. Currently in 3 days I won more than 50 days preceding.

Unfortunately, I think that the problem of regular minors is not yours.

Now I will do as the other miners, I will come only when the difficulty is low  :(

PS : sorry for my poor English.

Offline testz

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2014, 02:02:58 pm »
btc is no longer profitable for 95% of miners since the arrival of ASIC and soon the same problem will appear with the LTC. But if I chose PTS is because currently no asic is expected.

The functioning of PTS network is provided by the miners and the problems of btc/ltc are not identical.

Sorry but Litecoin even today not profitable for most of the miners.

As you have seen during last few month even with lack of miners support network functioning without problems.
Such of the network behavior can be a problem if you count PTS as coin, but BitShares-PTS it's more investment tool, like a shares.

Offline bile666

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2014, 01:54:31 pm »
btc is no longer profitable for 95% of miners since the arrival of ASIC and soon the same problem will appear with the LTC. But if I chose PTS is because currently no asic is expected.

The functioning of PTS network is provided by the miners and the problems of btc/ltc are not identical.

Offline testz

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2014, 01:41:43 pm »
Why?
If it's that you think and want to share it with us, please explain and point us to the problem which you think we need to solve.

Yes, diff changed x4, by design BitShares-PTS has 5 min block target, I don't see any problems:
http://mrx.im/pts.php
http://ptsexplorer.cloudapp.net/chain/BitShares-PTS

He's just frustrated that the difficulty retargeting is so hopelessly outdated and slow, giving us 1-2 months of insane difficulty followed by 4-5 days of really low difficulty, making PTS not worth mining most of the time.

I'm also frustrated, but Bitcoin and Litecoin today also not profitable to mine for 95% of miners.  :)

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »
The difficulty has changed x4 ..

Goodbye PTS

what thinks bytemaster about the situation and what will they do?

PS clear that out pls because  phrases like "Goodbye PTS" every now and then can only panic investors out of PTS.

They will not do anything.

This go around difficulty is 25% higher/worse than the previous increase. Plus last time the large collisions on the network pushed through 1500 blocks because of the snapshot. There were only 2500 blocks to solve with an estimated 42 days to retarget. This time there are 4000 blocks and difficulty is higher.

We made it through last time which is what will kill it this time. I think the complacency of making it through the last slough will be in place more so this time. I could be wrong. 

They have said if someone else wants to implement something, to do it. Otherwise they will wait it out.  I think they prefer people give them BTC rather than mine PTS for investment in BTS-DAC's which is the ulterior motive to not caring about PTS network or miners efficiency and costs. If you think about it it does benefit them to let PTS drag. Mining difficulty being high means investors will likely choose to give BTC because it is more efficient and a better payout to get AGS for BTC. I will guarantee that as soon as AGS runs it's course they will start caring about PTS.

We'll see...

Offline svk

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »
Why?
If it's that you think and want to share it with us, please explain and point us to the problem which you think we need to solve.

Yes, diff changed x4, by design BitShares-PTS has 5 min block target, I don't see any problems:

He's just frustrated that the difficulty retargeting is so hopelessly outdated and slow, giving us 1-2 months of insane difficulty followed by 4-5 days of really low difficulty, making PTS not worth mining most of the time.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline testz

« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

Goodbye PTS

Why?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:20:15 pm by testz »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

Goodbye PTS

what thinks bytemaster about the situation and what will they do?

PS clear that out pls because  phrases like "Goodbye PTS" every now and then can only panic investors out of PTS.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:11:35 pm by liondani »

Offline bile666

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:22 pm »

I leave PTS for another currency, pending a fork.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:13:55 pm by bile666 »

Offline svk

« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:44 am »
At that time ags donations will have stopped and the only possibility to participate in future dacs will be through pts ..

Not quite, there's another 3 months for AGS donations, so we'll have time for two more oscillations before AGS donations end. But you're right that it will probably increase interest in PTS mining.  Hopefully there will be another snapshot announcement too by that time, as well as the launch of BTS X which should prove that I3 can produce a viable product. Even though that snapshot has already passed, a successful BTS X launch will stimulate interest in the other upcoming DACs.

Offline bile666

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:41 am »
Please, make a fork. You lose a lot of minors with this situation very unstable.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:56 am »
At that time ags donations will have stopped and the only possibility to participate in future dacs will be through pts ..

Offline svk

« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2014, 08:11:37 am »
I guess it might require a hard fork to implement something like KGW, and at this stage the time spent to do that is better spent working on BTS X and other DACs.

We'll probably be stuck with this type of oscillation of difficulties until the announcement of the next snapshot, at which point we should see another increase in mining power.

Rough napkin math says that if we go back to the same mining power as before this current low difficulty, there won't be a new difficulty change until the beginning of june.

Offline bile666

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2014, 07:33:14 am »
Why do not calculate the difficulty after each bloc ?