Author Topic: .p2p intro video - first draft - feedback wanted!  (Read 13050 times)

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
I will post an update in a couple days!
Working on media. A little extra goes a long way:)
BTC: 1FPc7dMfwS2j9HRDyxZxft29Ti57p5jum6
Cryptsy: 76331613e1e44f0f7e7f838c6df4c4e404150f4a

Offline GaltReport

Slightly off topic but I never understood how it prevents domain squatting.  If there is an auction and only the squatter is there, then they receive the domain, no ?  Are people able to outbid for the domain later on ?

We should say "mitigate" instead of "prevent."

or just "minimize". ;)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline mdw

• View Profile

Slightly off topic but I never understood how it prevents domain squatting.  If there is an auction and only the squatter is there, then they receive the domain, no ?  Are people able to outbid for the domain later on ?

We should say "mitigate" instead of "prevent."

If you try to buy a domain that is clearly worth a lot for cheap, someone will call you on it because they have a profit motive to do so. Of course *someone* will end up with the domain, but they are forced to pay full price and so 1) they are more likely to sell it because of high opportunity cost and 2) they cannot buy thousands of high-value domains.

The end result is that you still have "squatters" except they look more like registrars that resell well-priced domains.

There's also a fee built into the system right?  So someone speculating on a domain name would need to be able to move it quickly.

I also agree that the video should have a little bit more information on domain name squatting.  Perhaps point out the percentage of .bit registered names vs operation websites.

Why should people believe that the cause of that is domain name squatting? The ratio of developed .BIT domains versus reserved domains is striking, but where is the case made for squatting being the reason?
"A good friend will always stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Offline bobmaloney

Have you guys considered doing several different versions using much of the same material?

I can see a use for:

A "full-length" version with fairly detailed descriptions of each benefit.
A short, more generic version for the quick hit.
A version that spotlights the individual benefits separately, for use in different demographics.
(I can see liberty-focused groups having more interest in the higher resistance to confiscation, business-focused individuals might have more interest in discouraging squatters, while 2.0 investment-focused might have more interest in the income distribution.)
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Big thanks to everyone for your feedback.
All suggestions we're taken under consideration.

Look out for the next version soon!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Checkout free music at jamendo.com!!

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
I think with a background "music"/beat  it would be better...

In the process of finding some. Any free use suggestions welcome!

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

agreed
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline mint chocolate chip

maybe show how a user would access a .p2p domain

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
50s explain "domain name squatting" either the voice or graphic or combination must explain what this is, what is going on, why it is bad.
I think we are assuming the audience understands the problem of squatting. However it would not hurt to explain this...

If we explain things like domain and domain name squatting, we serve as an explanation video as well, which is a value in its own right, more people will share it. Also remember that different languages might have different metaphors, so any person less than perfectly fluent in english might stumble on the phrase.

58 "enables global price discovery ... this mechanic helps accurately price domains as well as incentivizes honest market participation" can't you say this in a lighter way?
Open to ideas.

.. auctions allow people to agree on a fair price. .. hmmm

how about using something like the graphic from 33s in the bitshares.org video to explain how the centralized OLD domain name authority can be decentralized. in the first picture, the ICANN icon can be on the top, with the users all trading "up," and in the NEW the auction can be centered between them..
Could you explain this differently, I am a little lost here :/ Thanks!

Wrote that a bit too fast! :) What I mean is that you can have .. lemme just,

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
.p2p will have a standard inactivity fee but it just costs a standard tx fee to renew before then.

Now that I think about it.   How does bits xt reduce your xts holdings without your private key to accomplish the annual fee?

We have our own blockchains, we can make whatever rules we want!
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Now that I think about it.   How does bits xt reduce your xts holdings without your private key to accomplish the annual fee?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I thought the network charged an annual fee.   Kind of like how x will charge an inactivity fee.   

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads