Author Topic: Non-Technical Delegates of the World Unite!  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I am interested in knowing how many people are wanting to take part in a Google Hangout with screensharing so people can see precisely how to do it. 

We will post it to the BeyondBitcoin Channel on Youtube and to the BeyondBitcoin SubForum.
Is there any background knowledge required? I woud love to be able to setup and run my own delegate instead of relying on a service.

Can you give us any idea of the the difficulty level ?

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

I am interested in knowing how many people are wanting to take part in a Google Hangout with screensharing so people can see precisely how to do it. 

We will post it to the BeyondBitcoin Channel on Youtube and to the BeyondBitcoin SubForum.

hands up

Same for me!

Offline soniq

• View Profile

hands up
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Totally missed the gun when this went live, I was real into PTS when it started but life got at me.  just saw BTSX went live.  how/what do i need to do to become a delegate? and what is the benefit for people making me a delegate and benefit for me?  sorry if this is noob question.  feel free to point me in right direction :-)

Same here. I'm really interested and curious and would really like to know more about this. Would really appreciate a Delegates 101 kind of thread, explaining the how to's, what is needed, what it is, duties and responsibilities, costs it might have, etc, etc

Posting to learn more about becoming a delegate.
What are some of the specs to look at when shopping for a VPS? 

My interest in setting up a delegate has actually been influenced by a couple of PMs with fuznuts; I'm looking to utilize the delegate earnings to bootstrap a startup I've been working on for a few years and transition the functionality of this "physical" startup into the DAC world to solve a major global problem.  I've been hypothesizing that beyond the "internet of things", there will be a "blockchain of things" where physical embedded systems will be connected through blockchains.  I'd like to attempt to do this with food production.

Looking for like-minded people to help out, PM me for details.  Will hop on the mumble server in the near future to explain more.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Totally missed the gun when this went live, I was real into PTS when it started but life got at me.  just saw BTSX went live.  how/what do i need to do to become a delegate? and what is the benefit for people making me a delegate and benefit for me?  sorry if this is noob question.  feel free to point me in right direction :-)

Same here. I'm really interested and curious and would really like to know more about this. Would really appreciate a Delegates 101 kind of thread, explaining the how to's, what is needed, what it is, duties and responsabilities, costs it might have, etc, etc
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline RejectKid

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
PTS: Pu4ahefp2nMXeQw2cxome8g6V9B4faLx81 BTC: 1NcZg4xF9zSCNUpVanfwfMJY7kqAXtdrbu MMC: MWsdbnkdZRPNEQru1YeeATZTGmqhuSYFoN
Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/protoshare www.reddit.com/r/memorycoin

Offline GaltReport

I'll admit I have not joined the effort as a delegate. However I would be interested in joining with the intention of building tools that make it easier for non-technical folks.

Also I'm thinking about ability to do nice monitoring features too - e.g. "is my node alive and well?"

What I would suggest is for Bytemaster to setup a node in AWS (Amazon Web Services) and make an image that then is easy to configure for each delegate.

Then all a delegate needs to do is fire up an instance with that public image, and then configuration of a private key should be MUCH easier, than trying to compile the whole thing from scratch.

Just my 2 cents. That's how I would go about it.

I agree that is where things should go.

+5%

That's is how TOR relays  work.  just point and click to launch in AWS.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Im looking for a link I seen earlier on how to setup a  delegate, cant seem to find now. Can you point me in right direction?

Also is it profitable right now to become a delegate? is there a break even point so far from existing delgates ?
It is not particularly profitable.  Profit will come later
Am I helping the network by keeping my bitsharesx wallet open?
This is a good question.  I am guessing, but likely an open wallet is only to allow user interaction.
Is there any other advantages to becoming a delegate other than supporting the  network?
Future potential is immense.
I am interested in creatign a delegate, but do not have the technical expertise
I have decided against running as one.  It requires a little time etc that I do not have. I'm still willing to help out anyone who I've previously discussed this with.
Cheers

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_X_Solutions#Delegate_HOW-TO
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline soniq

• View Profile
Im looking for a link I seen earlier on how to setup a  delegate, cant seem to find now. Can you point me in right direction?

Also is it profitable right now to become a delegate? is there a break even point so far from existing delgates ?

Am I helping the network by keeping my bitsharesx wallet open?

Is there any other advantages to becoming a delegate other than supporting the  network?

I am interested in creatign a delegate, but do not have the technical expertise

Cheers
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline onceuponatime

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I am a non-tech.

I have a question of some concern regarding this thread. Will it be possible to be a delegate if one is travelling frequently with only a laptop in his possession? Presumably the laptop would be off at least during plane flights and possibly longer.

There are lots of ways to be a delegate while letting someone else provide and manage the hardware.  As competition heats up, people will be looking for discriminators.  Before long, most delegate candidates will turn the hardware operations over to proven experts to get their credibility and thus "check that square".  Otherwise, they will have to work extra hard to convince voters that they have the technical end well covered.

Hardware operators will have to work hard to demonstrate that they are not centralizing the network if a lot of people use their services and equipment.  Interesting design challenge, no?

So while hardware operators compete in that domain, people who are able to motivate voters will be competing to be the most trusted, best managed, and most helpful to the industry.  These are business and marketing and political skills.

IMHO those two kinds of skills (technical and business) will not typically reside in a single individual.

That said, it may be a while before competition heats up, during which time a likable person with an intermittently connected laptop might be in the top 101.  This is a chance for anyone to earn some profit before somebody out-competes them for their slot.  :)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:48:38 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline onceuponatime

I am a non-tech.

I have a question of some concern regarding this thread. Will it be possible to be a delegate if one is travelling frequently with only a laptop in his possession? Presumably the laptop would be off at least during plane flights and possibly longer.

Offline hasher

• View Profile
im prepared to be a delegate from the pr-tech side, my native language is rus, i speak eng, i have made significant contribution to rus cryptocommunity during last 1.5 years for promotion, research, education. im a single individual, not involved deeply to any "party" or community, i just know economy/finances and it-futurology fields very well and want to grow in this sphere, though i dont have enough finances or big connections to make a really huge impact.
thought a bit, non tech delegate need to have large audience, which i doesn't have, only 500-1000 unique hits in my community blog, thats not enough for intercontinental representative :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:54:03 pm by hasher »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Maybe dumb, but if you're short of delegates, have you considered reaching out to the NXT community?
If there's a profit incentive, maybe some of the people running NXT nodes may have the know how and the desire to become delegates if they're made aware of the opportunity.

I would suggest that if competition heats up to be a delegate in this forum, delegates with a second (presumably much less important) community where they have become known and respected might go there to recruit enough cross-overs to get elected as a delegate.  Over time, I predict there will be one or more BitShares delegates from every major community - because that's where the votes may be easier to find.

Then all the radio and talk-show personalities will realize that they can recruit votes from their audiences.

Then people who belong to totally non-crypto communities (save the aardvarks!) will start drumming up supporters there.

It will come down to a contest of who can recruit the most new supporters from anywhere in the world where they can be found.  And all new recruits become BitShareholders.

If developers make their DAC delegate positions lucrative enough, the top 101 best crypto-evangelists in the world will be working to recruit more shareholders from people likely to support them.  They will have to keep doing it because to stand still is to be overtaken by more zealous evangelists.  It will become a good paying full time job bringing in new voters from outside the community.

(And THAT is our secret weapon.)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.