Author Topic: [ SNAPSHOT: 8/21 ] DNS  (Read 47416 times)

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

Offline Riverhead

If you have no LTS in an LTS wallet (like you didn't buy on an exchange and send them to a new LTS wallet) then there's no reason to swap out the wallet.dat from PTS. The client did it's job of reading the private keys when you unlocked the wallet and now it's good to go.

The extra steps were for people who had been using their wallets and then wanted to claim their PTS share drop. Also there are times when coins aren't considered "claimed" until they are moved to a new address however you can do that within the same wallet.  Just send them all to yourself at a new address in the wallet and then backup the wallet.dat file.

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

Sorry man. I know I probably sound retarded.

It's a tricky paradigm to get your head around for sure. There is nothing for you to do right now. Your private keys are not your public addresses.

There are a couple ways to go about it. Here is the high level run down. I'll explain it in detail, hope it doesn't seem condescending :) .

1 ) Launch the new DAC. This will create the directory structure it uses to store your wallet, blockchain etc.
2 ) Encrypt the new wallet and let the client relaunch.
2 ) Copy and paste the Receive address to your notepad and shut down the client.
3 ) Make a copy (or a hundred) of the now Encrypted wallet.dat file.  Call it something like dns_wallet.dat.
4 ) Copy your BitShares-PTS wallet.dat file to the working directory of the new DAC
5 ) Launch the client and let it sync. You'll notice you have a cubic a**load of tokens.
6 ) Send the entire balance to the address you copied in step 2.
7 ) Shutdown the client, delete the wallet.dat (this would be the Bitshares-pts wallet you copied in)
8 ) Put the dns_wallet.dat back as wallet.dat
9)  Launch the client and enjoy all your coins!

Alternate method for advanced users:

1) In the console screen of your BitShares-PTS wallet export all your private keys (don't forget change addresses!)
2) Import those private keys via the console in the new DAC wallet.
3) Enjoy all your coins!

Hi Riverhead,

First I'll start with a little explanation of what I did and then will come the question, it's not directly linked to DNS, but direclty related to the key importing part. I'm kind of a newbie, so it might really be an easy one for you.

I had an issue with LTS client and "lost" my wallet when I updated to the new client version (I mean I wasn't seeing my coins but I didn't erase the wallet so I thought it must still be somewhere) and here's what I did to recover my LTS shares:

- Made a couple of backups of the LTS wallet
- Took a copy of my PTS wallet and replaced the LTS wallet in the LTS folder
- Started the LTS client

Now I see in the "unconfirmed" part my number of PTS and in the "immature" part my LTS... From the description you gave, I understand I've done something wrong, since I haven't sent the coins to the LTS wallet.

Here comes the question: If I put back my LTS wallet in place of the PTS wallet in my LTS folder (every wallet will have several backups, just in case), take the receiving address from the client, put back the PTS wallet instead of the LTS, then send the coins to the LTS wallet, then again put back the LTS wallet in place, will it do exactly what you described?

Also, is there a simplier way to do it? I mean it's nothing complicated, but if there's a one or two steps procedure to do what I want instead of doing all that back and forth with my wallets, that would be great.

And if I'm completely off, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Offline Riverhead

He gets that, he's now asking when we will launch.

Eh, maybe someone else will find the steps useful.

I know I did thanks river.  :D

My pleasure. Keep in mind those steps are for the traditional QT wallets we know and love from the BTC forks. The BitShares tool kit is completely different but has its own built in methods for importing wallets. Toast might have something different in mind too.

The basic principles are the same though.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile

I know I did thanks river.  :D

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Separate. DNS core functionality is basically finished, VOTE has barely started. VOTE will launch without features just to get shares trading and get delegates paid.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline DavefromPhilly

• View Profile
It's a tricky paradigm to get your head around for sure. There is nothing for you to do right now. Your private keys are not your public addresses.

There are a couple ways to go about it. Here is the high level run down. I'll explain it in detail, hope it doesn't seem condescending :) .

It absolutely wasn't condesending. While there were steps in there I had already assumed, it was more than helpful! You never know who you're explaining something to, and they could be a complete moron so I always include the obvious details too.

I didn't know there was going to be a wallet for the new DAC's. That's why I wasn't sure what the process would be. And I'm glad you went into that much detail because I wouldn't have known to send the tokens to the new address. I would have just kept the copied wallet in there and called it a day.

And Toast, thanks for the update. Please don't think I'm being impatient or bitching. I just understood wrong and thought the snapshot and release were simultaneous actions. Thanks for all of the hard work and everything you've done. Also for giving me a little more credit than I deserved in my understanding haha.

So one last dumb question, I promise. Will VOTE and DNS wallet's come out at the same time, or are they scheduled separately?

Offline Riverhead

Offline toast

• View Profile

SoonTM

(setting up dev test net now)
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

1 ) Launch the new DAC. This will create the directory structure it uses to store your wallet, blockchain etc.
2 ) Encrypt the new wallet and let the client relaunch.
2 ) Copy and paste the Receive address to your notepad and shut down the client.
3 ) Make a copy (or a hundred) of the now Encrypted wallet.dat file.  Call it something like dns_wallet.dat.
4 ) Copy your BitShares-PTS wallet.dat file to the working directory of the new DAC
5 ) Launch the client and let it sync. You'll notice you have a cubic a**load of tokens.
6 ) Send the entire balance to the address you copied in step 2.
7 ) Shutdown the client, delete the wallet.dat (this would be the Bitshares-pts wallet you copied in)
8 ) Put the dns_wallet.dat back as wallet.dat
9)  Launch the client and enjoy all your coins!

Alternate method for advanced users:

1) In the console screen of your BitShares-PTS wallet export all your private keys (don't forget change addresses!)
2) Import those private keys via the console in the new DAC wallet.
3) Enjoy all your coins!

Offline DavefromPhilly

• View Profile
Once they are released you import your private keeps from the BitShares-PTS wallet.dat. Since the new DAC's are a snapshot your existing private keys will match up with your funds in the new blockchain. Your PTS balance does not change as that's in a different blockchain.

Ok, cool. So I definitely understood the first part correctly. I think I was just misunderstanding when they were actually being released. I was under the impression the snapshot and release were at the same time. So there's nothing for me to do right now? Just waiting for when they're released (both DNS and VOTE)? And then i'll put in my private key, which I'm assuming is my "wallet address"?

Offline Riverhead

Once they are released you import your private keeps from the BitShares-PTS wallet.dat. Since the new DAC's are a snapshot your existing private keys will match up with your funds in the new blockchain. Your PTS balance does not change as that's in a different blockchain.

Offline DavefromPhilly

• View Profile
Forgive me for being naive, but I'm new to pts, as I thought it would be a great thing to be involved in. Hopefully I'm not the only dummy with this question.

I'm not worried about when the snapshot was taken or what exact block (unless I need it) because I'm "hodling" for sure.

BUT... now that it has been taken, how do I actually go about getting my shares in the 2 DACs?

Offline weryx

• View Profile
No, block 72651 has time 1408647310 which is 21 Aug 2014 18:55:10 GMT  (use http://www.epochconverter.com/  to convert)

Coinplorer sees 72695 as the last PTS block on August 21 (8/21/2014 11:55:29 PM (UTC))

Offline toast

• View Profile
Someone else please confirm