Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251455 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Really good Riverhead, you have a clean writing style.
Indeed.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline kisa

• View Profile
could someone point to a simple explanation of steps for seamless client upgrade to a new version please?

Windows, Linux or god forbid OSX ?

Windows 7 - 64bit

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
could someone point to a simple explanation of steps for seamless client upgrade to a new version please?

Windows, Linux or god forbid OSX ?

Offline kisa

• View Profile

Edit: ok i do three steps
- back up wallet folder from %appdata/Roaming/BitsharesX%
- then download 0.4.15 from github 
- then run...

* the message above password field "There is a new mandatory client update available at bitshares-x.info" reads then strange *
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:50:06 pm by kisa0145 »

38PTSWarrior

Really good Riverhead, you have a clean writing style.

edit: I will read this again and again until I get it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:29:16 pm by 38PTSWarrior »

Offline Riverhead

I am in contact with a financial adviser now. He told me to buy BitUSD and short BitUSD at the same time with the same price. Just in case BTSX goes down, I have to close the shorts with the BitUSD I already have. What I don't know is what closing means. Also the buy order is pending and I don't have any BitUSD yet. Am I doing good so far?

Here is an explanation from a non finance person:

When you short bitUSD you are borrowing bitUSD from the exchange. The exchange mints bitUSD into existence from thin air and lends it to you. Like a car loan it needs some assurance you're going to pay it back. You assure the exchange with 2x the value of your bitUSD in BTSX.

When you cover or close your short you are paying the exchange back its bitUSD. You get your BTSX collateral back and the exchange burns the bitUSD out of existence.

Since your shorted bitUSD was bought by someone (reason you no longer have a cancel button but a cover button) you need to buy the bitUSD on the open market to pay the bank exchange back. What your adviser is saying is buy the bitUSD at the same time you short bitUSD so that if you need to cover you have it already and don't need to buy it on the open market. When you need to cover the price of bitUSD will be unknown so may as well pick up enough now at a known price.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:16:24 am by Riverhead »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Remote Procedure Call - that's a general term for requesting the execution of code over a network connection and receiving the result in the same way. The network connection can also point to localhost in which case it's not really a "remote" procedure call, but technically that doesn't matter.

The conceptual difference between an RPC service and for example HTTP or SMTP is that an RPC service is focused on code execution, whereas most other network services are focused on data transfer.

Thanks!

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Remote Procedure Call - that's a general term for requesting the execution of code over a network connection and receiving the result in the same way. The network connection can also point to localhost in which case it's not really a "remote" procedure call, but technically that doesn't matter.

The conceptual difference between an RPC service and for example HTTP or SMTP is that an RPC service is focused on code execution, whereas most other network services are focused on data transfer.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
What is NPT?
If you are refereing to NTP .. that the "network time protocol" and is used to synchronized clocks over the internet ..

OK, the next question from the same series,
What is RPC?      // as in python main.py <RPC_USER> <RPC_PASSWORD> ......
                     //I guest you are not awake hopefully somebody else can help....

38PTSWarrior

The cancelling.
Your first response, I just finished reading now. It is very hard for me to get it, I need to sit down and go through it bit by bit. The thing is, I am maybe really weak in this discipline. I remember this feeling from math school, where i had to go to a small class with only 5 people and there i was the one who never got it.After I ran away from school I felt so good and free. But back to topic, I will tell my advicer that I am pretty dumb with these things and ask him if he can just tell me where to enter the numbers and then see what happens.

Thanks a lot, I will try to understand but it looks like your explanations is like jewels for the pigs it seems. Who knows, I have the feeling, that with little little steps I could make it and become a trader one day.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
It worked, exciting times..

What worked - my detailed instructions (in the initial response post) or the canceling?

If you made the test (successfully the 0.1 bitBTC) you can use it to make use of it buy buying upto 50% of your funds (I suggest something smaller like 15%) it will lock in collateral 15% and youl have paid for the bitBTC another 15% so 30 % total. Now just sit back and check daily how your interest (Yield) grows...   :) :) :)

You can go back to all funds in BTSX by running the same command used to close the positions in case of need. ie.
Code: [Select]
wallet_market_cover ACCOUNTNAME X.xx BTC "ORDER ID"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:19:43 pm by tonyk »

38PTSWarrior

It worked, exciting times..

38PTSWarrior

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Can I just cancel an open order and everythig will be fine?

If you can see a cancel button in the GUI - yes.
Just check if something went through before that - if it did, you will see newly acquired bitUSD in the account or a 'Margin' order in your open orders.

38PTSWarrior

It still says "cancel".
You can see the order. It's
 24.52   50.00   1,226.00

BitUSD
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:51:46 pm by 38PTSWarrior »