Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253053 times)

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Hello !

So, I've got a scientific background, and I'm a complete noob to the world of finance. Last week I became quite obsessed with cryptocurrencies, discovered trading places, bought some bitcoins, then some bitshares. I believe in it, so I want to invest. But now I find myself losing so much time following market prices, waiting for ludicrous opportunities like buying at 0.000072 on Bter while selling at 0.000073 on poloniex at the same time. That's not investing, that's time burning. But it's so addictive, and it's so hard to completely ignore market fluctuations and just wait for long term gains.

So, my stupid question :
What is the best way to spend(or rather, invest) one's time in the trading world ? Should I just buy all bitshares I can afford right now at market prices, stop worrying about fluctuations, and learn more about the core of bitshares (by exploring the github repository, for example) ?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

38PTSWarrior

Hey lovers, I bought 20 BitUSD for 520 BTSX at 26 and at the same time shorted 20 BitUSD for 26.
two days later the cover button shows up and I immediately (of course haha) clicked it.

Now I have 23 BitUSD on my account. Did I just make 3 BitUSD profit? Should I have waited to click the cover button?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I decided to transfer from bter to cold wallet and in doing so I tried to register my account, and the win64 wallet (0.4.15-a) doesn't do anything on click OK, in the console I get a 31011 invalid_transaction_expiration: invalid transaction expiration error when trying to register.

I sent 10 btsx as a test to my key as noted in My Account -> Keys -> Account Key.. bter shows a txid which is valid on the blockchain but nothing shows up in my wallet.

Help?

I had often the experience when registering an account that nothing happens when clicking the "ok" button (window does not close) to confirm the account creation. But in reality the registration was successful.
But if you are sure it doesn't registered, maybe the cause is your wallet is not 100% synced.... Make the registration after it is synced. Try on console the command:    wallet_rescan_blockchain
If you have the same problems make a backup of your wallet from the gui menu first and keep somewhere safe the json file and then delete all directory's related to bitsharesx (keep the directory "wallet" but rename it for example to "wallets_old". (for windows the bitsharesx directory's on window/user/yourusername/appdata/roaming/ .....   for linux the hidden directory ".bitshares") Then reinstall the wallet and create a new wallet with new password and restore your old wallet with old password using the json file you backup-ed early only after it the wallet has fully synced....

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Yes I am a hero member and I am asking how to setup step by step a seed node
knowing the same time that I am secure enough! Hints @ Tips please  :)
thats an easy one ..
 - install bitsharesx client
 - open up firefwall ports/router forwarding (if necessary)
 - (optional) increase max number of conections
 - post pm to dacsunlimited and tell them the ip (there's is also a thread somewhere about it)

PS: do not run the delegate on a seed node!

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Yes I am a hero member and I am asking how to setup step by step a seed node
knowing the same time that I am secure enough! Hints @ Tips please  :)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I decided to transfer from bter to cold wallet and in doing so I tried to register my account, and the win64 wallet (0.4.15-a) doesn't do anything on click OK, in the console I get a 31011 invalid_transaction_expiration: invalid transaction expiration error when trying to register.

I sent 10 btsx as a test to my key as noted in My Account -> Keys -> Account Key.. bter shows a txid which is valid on the blockchain but nothing shows up in my wallet.

Help?
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
What ports are required by bitshares-x as a delegate? I've got to manually open end-points, or it'll get blocked.
Huh? .. I thought the client can sustain active without opening up ports to the outside world?
You only need (as far as I know) to make sure the wallet can connect to the outside world .. not the other way round ..
Ok cool, i'll bear that in mind when setting up my delegate. Thanks :)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
If all BitUSD is created from shorts, executed at different exchange rates to BTSX, how does BitUSD remain fungible as the exchange rate fluctuates? 

If it drops by 50% and there's an automatic margin call on a short, what happens to the BitUSD that were created from that short?  I feel like I'm failing to understand a key concept...

if you get a margin call -

1. you have enough BTSX in your wallet. Nothing happens, just transfering BTSX to the collateral for the short (automatic)
2. you have not enough BTSX in your wallet for the collateral you are forced to cover - means the systems buys BTSX for the bid price to cover your position. with this action you support the market, because your cover actions moves the price higher.

Offline wasthatawolf

If all BitUSD is created from shorts, executed at different exchange rates to BTSX, how does BitUSD remain fungible as the exchange rate fluctuates? 

If it drops by 50% and there's an automatic margin call on a short, what happens to the BitUSD that were created from that short?  I feel like I'm failing to understand a key concept...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
What ports are required by bitshares-x as a delegate? I've got to manually open end-points, or it'll get blocked.
Huh? .. I thought the client can sustain active without opening up ports to the outside world?
You only need (as far as I know) to make sure the wallet can connect to the outside world .. not the other way round ..

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
1) On "my accounts" it says: "Updating transaction history" since a few hours.
Is it actually still updating? My .BitSharesX folder (linux) doesn't increase
in size so the blockchain should be downloaded completely.
It's a bug .. you can check for the transaction history in the console via
"wallet_account_transaction_history" .. that one is final .. unless you are not
synced (which you can either check with "blockchain_is_synced" or "getinfo")

2) How do I quit the client without being asked whether I want to reset the database. Happens about every second time I run it.
Wow .. that should not be the case .. unfortunatelly there is no other way to
quit the client atm. Very strange but if I remember correctly other have reported that issue too

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Here is my share of stupid question for the GUI client:
1) On "my accounts" it says: "Updating transaction history" since a few hours. Is it actually still updating? My .BitSharesX folder (linux) doesn't increase in size so the blockchain should be downloaded completely.
2) How do I quit the client without being asked whether I want to reset the database. Happens about every second time I run it.

Offline kisa

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
could someone point to a simple explanation of steps for seamless client upgrade to a new version please?

Windows, Linux or god forbid OSX ?

Windows 7 - 64bit

1. Save a back up by doing: File->Export Wallet     //in the client;
2. Download the file from here:  https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/releases
3.Click on the downloaded file.

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.