Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251375 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I just need a cheap piece of crap but would prefer it to be brand new, never opened. I'm moving all BTSX to a dedicated linux laptop. This will be my first linux experience btw!

I bought a cheap atom netbook for linux a few years ago, and it was a horrible experience. My advice is to treat yourself to a semi decent laptop. Especially because the BTSX wallet is quite heavy.

If its your first linux experience, linux mint mate edition is pretty easy to setup. Or you could install Ubuntu and have all your keystrokes sent to amazon.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I just need a cheap piece of crap but would prefer it to be brand new, never opened. I'm moving all BTSX to a dedicated linux laptop. This will be my first linux experience btw!

Offline Riverhead

1. Where can I get a cheap linux laptop?

2. How do I install the BitShares X app on Linux?

3. Is there a GUI BitShares X app for Linux?

For Linux you need to compile it yourself at this stage.

If youre in the US, system76 are highly recommended for Linux laptops.
I was looking at them...glad to hear some endorsement

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

For Linux you need to compile it yourself at this stage.

If youre in the US, system76 are highly recommended for Linux laptops.

Offline Riverhead

1 how cheap is cheap? You can get a ThinkPad T61 on eBay for about $120

2 we'll cross that bridge when you get the laptop.

3 yes, it is the same GUI.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Very confusing. I thought if i place an order in advance and wait for the price movement, i will get the short executed.

How do i know when the market is trading above the peg?

you must calculate it everytime manualy !
They must put something like a live ticker somewhere on the gui so we make better decisions and MUCH more orders !!!
It seems something simple to implement using the median published feed...
Wow, i know how to calculate it manually, but i have never seen bitUSD above the USD!

Seems almost not possible to short it then. Why even bother setting up orders *shrug*

Because the anti-shorting mechanism was not active the first days of trading a large amount of BitUSD were created quickly. Now this large amount is depressing the BitUSD price and keeping it far below the peg. BitBTC and BitCNY started slowly and are trading much closer to the peg.

Can you expand on that pls ?

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Very confusing. I thought if i place an order in advance and wait for the price movement, i will get the short executed.

They must put something like a live ticker somewhere on the gui so we make better decisions and MUCH more orders !!!
Wow, i know how to calculate it manually, but i have never seen bitUSD above the USD!

Seems almost not possible to short it then. Why even bother setting up orders *shrug*

Because the anti-shorting mechanism was not active the first days of trading a large amount of BitUSD were created quickly. Now this large amount is depressing the BitUSD price and keeping it far below the peg. BitBTC and BitCNY started slowly and are trading much closer to the peg.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Since nobody has replied elsewhere...

I now have 2 short orders that were not executed, even though they were on the order book. One at 28.77 and the other at 29.00. I'm missing out on shorting opportunities(or possible losses :D)

Does anyone else experience the same problem?

Your short order "disappears" as soon as the median price feed moves above your price. This is intended behaviour. It is meant to prevent people shorting below the peg.
To short in a market you will have to wait until actual trades happen above the peg.

You can short BitBTC now - that one is trading above the peg at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:12:49 am by Markus »

Offline davidpbrown

PS: do not run the delegate on a seed node!

For fear that the server might struggle to do both.. or for fear that that delegate would grab more than their fair share of transactions?.. or is the distribution of which delegate gets to process which transactions+fess not the same as other PoW??
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Hi, you need the Golden Goose. The Golden Goose is Protoshares-PTS which will give you shares in all DACs after the moment you bought them. But I don't know how the price will be in the next weeks.

Sorry that I cannot answer your questions. I have the same questions. Right now I try to make a profit by buying and shorting BitUSD and BTSX and others. I think it takes only 4 more weeks and I play this game like a boss hehe.

Yeah, I'll get some PTS, it seems a great investment too, I love the possibilities offered by DACs :). This must become huge ! But at the moment I'm more impatient to trade bitAssets (for now I don't understand dollar fluctuations and don't want to lose my bitshares in that game :D)

I went (am still sometimes going) through this phase.

Try to spend as much of this time as you can on learning instead of hitting reload on coinmarketcap.

The best approach is just to stockpile as much BTS (and other cryptos) as possible without trying to trade. Trying to trade is a good way to fuck yourself. Just hold long no matter what the market does.

Saddly the reload button on coinmarketcap has been way overused today also ! But yeah, I promised myself to obey the simple rule "don't sell any BTS".
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline modprobe

2) How do I quit the client without being asked whether I want to reset the database. Happens about every second time I run it.

If you think you quit the client cleanly (quit cleanly by pressing Ctrl-Q [Command-Q on OSX] or using the Quit menu item), but get this message on the next start, most likely the client crashed on exit and you didn't notice. If this happens reliably, feel free to post a backtrace on GitHub's issue tracker.

merockstar

Hello !

So, I've got a scientific background, and I'm a complete noob to the world of finance. Last week I became quite obsessed with cryptocurrencies, discovered trading places, bought some bitcoins, then some bitshares. I believe in it, so I want to invest. But now I find myself losing so much time following market prices, waiting for ludicrous opportunities like buying at 0.000072 on Bter while selling at 0.000073 on poloniex at the same time. That's not investing, that's time burning. But it's so addictive, and it's so hard to completely ignore market fluctuations and just wait for long term gains.

So, my stupid question :
What is the best way to spend(or rather, invest) one's time in the trading world ? Should I just buy all bitshares I can afford right now at market prices, stop worrying about fluctuations, and learn more about the core of bitshares (by exploring the github repository, for example) ?

I went (am still sometimes going) through this phase.

Try to spend as much of this time as you can on learning instead of hitting reload on coinmarketcap.

The best approach is just to stockpile as much BTS (and other cryptos) as possible without trying to trade. Trying to trade is a good way to fuck yourself. Just hold long no matter what the market does.

38PTSWarrior

Hi, you need the Golden Goose. The Golden Goose is Protoshares-PTS which will give you shares in all DACs after the moment you bought them. But I don't know how the price will be in the next weeks.

Sorry that I cannot answer your questions. I have the same questions. Right now I try to make a profit by buying and shorting BitUSD and BTSX and others. I think it takes only 4 more weeks and I play this game like a boss hehe.