Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253300 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
with the merger and all applications within one blockchain, will the confirmation times and transactions be as fast as they are now?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am certain this has been asked before, but since I am having trouble knowing what exactly to ask to bring it up....i'm going to post here.  My wallet sometimes syncs up with the network and at other times it sits there for days without doing so.  Usually when it does, it takes a seemingly random amount of time to do so...ranging anywhere from 15 minutes to 5 hours.  Lately it has not synced up with the network at all. 

I am thinking I might need to add some nodes?  Is this correct? 

If yes, can someone copy/paste an answer? 

If no, what else am I missing?
I noticed some other uses in the forums complaining about the exact same thing
It seems to me that the network code has some dead lock somewhere such that it will not connect to the seed nodes ..
not sure though ..

over here, once I am connected to the network all is fine and stays that way .. (but I am on Linux)

zerosum

I am certain this has been asked before, but since I am having trouble knowing what exactly to ask to bring it up....i'm going to post here.  My wallet sometimes syncs up with the network and at other times it sits there for days without doing so.  Usually when it does, it takes a seemingly random amount of time to do so...ranging anywhere from 15 minutes to 5 hours.  Lately it has not synced up with the network at all. 

Which of the 7 questions you asked, do you want answered first? (Appropriately stupid question for me to ask :), but I believe I am in the right thread to do so ). You

Explicitly asked:

I am thinking I might need to add some nodes?  - not really a question, but I did not put the question mark out there.
Is this correct? 

Implicitly asked:

What is the problem?
Can somebody help me with it?
How to resolve those issues?

[PS I can give you my humble mumble opinion on all 7, if  you care to ask]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:14:48 am by tonyk2 »

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Riverhead

Yes I thought it was but I guess it rest after an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline svk

Currently my 5% delegate is earning about 36 BTSX/m ($1.80/month at current prices).

Some of it is going to an over enthusiastic feed script which I've just modified.

LOL 36 BTSX per month, before paying to publish feeds!
You have found the ultimate get rich quickly scheme running this delegate of yours. :)
I do hope this server is a dual use device, working extra hard on signing blocks and heating the space (yes, it is near freezing where I live and it is snowing today, so heat is good!)

The only good thing I see working for you is that you have found a good price to sell your BTSX - at 5 cent a piece ($1.80/36) with a current exchange price of 1.7 cent.
That was after feed was paid for. I've tuned it a bit to reduce costs. The sever costs me $10/month and is single use. With the new delegate pay I'll recoup some of that and also be able to set up more chain servers at various vendors.

You should definitely set the fee to 0.1, with all those feed updates it adds up quickly.

That delegate pay estimate that you see is only for the current round I think, if someone registers an asset for example it jumps up by at least 1 BTSX. Its currently at it's lowest point for a while.

Forgot one thing: there was talk of letting delegates publish feeds for free, that might still be coming soon, should help with the net salaries
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Riverhead

Currently my 5% delegate is earning about 36 BTSX/m ($1.80/month at current prices).

Some of it is going to an over enthusiastic feed script which I've just modified.

You have found the ultimate get rich quickly scheme running this delegate of yours. :)
I do hope this server is a dual use device, working extra hard on signing blocks and heating the space (yes, it is near freezing where I live and it is snowing today, so heat is good!)

The only good thing I see working for you is that you have found a good price to sell your BTSX - at 5 cent a piece ($1.80/36) with a current exchange price of 1.7 cent.
That was after feed was paid for. I've tuned it a bit to reduce costs. The sever costs me $10/month and is single use. With the new delegate pay I'll recoup some of that and also be able to set up more chain servers at various vendors.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Why do we need Price Feeds to trade Asset with Asset?
eg. BitGLD<->BitUSD

I reported that bug already somewhere in github .. devs should be aware by now!
Thanks for reporting it though!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:20:29 pm by xeroc »

zerosum

Offline Riverhead

So now for a really stupid question I'm almost afraid to ask:

Currently there is about 14k BTSX trading below the bitUSD/BTSX peg. The Peg is at 0.019 but it's selling for 0.0209, about 10% discount in bitUSD.

So it looks like there is cheap bitUSD to be had.  So say I buy $1000 worth. Selling it at the peg (when it comes back into line) will only be profitable if BTSX doesn't rise in value? At current prices $1k costs about 50k BTSX. Selling at the peg nets 55k BTSX. A profit of 10% as expected. But if BTSX goes up in price a $1k worth of BTSX will be fewer BTSX. While it's true I will still have $1k work I may receive fewer than 50k BTSX and thus have a loss.

So is buying below the peg and selling at the peg only profitable with a stable BTSX price? Does the 10% discount on bitUSD put selling pressure on BTSX which makes it resistant to a rise? Are factors external to the BitSharesX client going to affect price more than the discounted bitUSD?

Offline Riverhead

So I've been trying to reconcile my delegate's actual versus forecast revenue. Can someone point out why there is this delta?

• In the client is says, "Maximum Delegate Pay Per Block: 0.99208 BTSX
  • With 10 second blocks that's 263,520 blocks a month.
That puts a maximum theoretical revenue for a 100% delegate at about 261k BTSX/month. A 5% delegate should have a max theoretical revenue of 13k BTSX/m

So either my math is wrong, my delegate is lazy, or the display in the client is wrong. Could it also be people manually setting their fee to 0.1 from 0.5? I don't care about the income so much as the large disconnect between forecast and actual.

Update: Some of it is going to an over enthusiastic feed script which I've just modified. I'll let that go for a few days and see if things get into line.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:38:57 pm by Riverhead »

Offline davidpbrown

Could someone do a ELI5 on shorting and bitUSD creation? I understand the concepts up to a point but I'm less clear on the timing that actions to.

If I short bitUSD, do I hold that like an inverse of bitUSD upto whenever I want to 'sell' it; or does that short necessarily action at some set point in time; or whenever there is a call for a purchase if bitUSD at that price?.. and if it's a price match is there a +/- relative to that?? Is there a point at which the BTSX holding relative to that isn't sufficient that the short would be forced to action?.. What other rules are there for shorting???

Edit: I've just found http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-Short
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:36:08 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
What is the fix? this is the first I am hearing on this. Is there a thread on this.
All of this new info should go into an email to everyone

OK found the answer to my DNS question (I got screwed over). But I'm still confused about the remaining BTSX I have. Is there going to be a BTSX snapshot? Or did it already happen and I got screwed on that too?
Also should I just sell my DNS on BTER since it is worthless?

In my understanding, you'll receive BTS for the DNS that's in your wallet on nov-5. IOW: you should withdraw your DNS from the exchanges (or sell them) before nov-5. It may be the case that bter honours that final snapshot and distributes BTS for the DNS in your account, but I haven't seen an official statement confirming this.

What you have already missed is the "fix" offered by bm/i3. All you can hope is that bter honours that fix a posteriori.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10381.msg136193#msg136193

AFAIK there will be a "press release" about all this in the coming week!

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
What is the fix? this is the first I am hearing on this. Is there a thread on this.
All of this new info should go into an email to everyone

OK found the answer to my DNS question (I got screwed over). But I'm still confused about the remaining BTSX I have. Is there going to be a BTSX snapshot? Or did it already happen and I got screwed on that too?
Also should I just sell my DNS on BTER since it is worthless?

In my understanding, you'll receive BTS for the DNS that's in your wallet on nov-5. IOW: you should withdraw your DNS from the exchanges (or sell them) before nov-5. It may be the case that bter honours that final snapshot and distributes BTS for the DNS in your account, but I haven't seen an official statement confirming this.

What you have already missed is the "fix" offered by bm/i3. All you can hope is that bter honours that fix a posteriori.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I should know this by now, but do shorts compete on collateral offered or interest payed ?

Interest.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Thanks that makes sense. So the only reason for providing more collateral is to reduce the risk of getting margin called.