Author Topic: Momentum 2.0 Discussion  (Read 19017 times)

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
More details on the MemoryCoin 2.0 PoW

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355532.new#new

I'm going to try to keep the interface as similar to ProtoShares as possible, so that infrastructure developed for ProtoShares can be deployed for MemoryCoin too.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline bytemaster

This entire thread may be moot given my recent ideas regarding proof-of-stake: http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1138.0

In effect, I believe I can almost entirely eliminate proof-of-work from new coins.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

There are many different ways to apply aes.  The CBC mode is sequential.  I am sure block mode could be accelerated on gpu but CBC would have to run in a single thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Cool.

I'm reading a bit about AES - came across this . . . any thoughts -

http://developer.amd.com/resources/documentation-articles/articles-whitepapers/bulk-encryption-on-gpus/

Conclusion

The results illustrated in this article prove the viability of implementing the AES algorithm on the AMD GPUs, which show considerable speedups compared to the current generation Intel processor or commodity graphics cards. We have obtained a speedup of up to 16 times with the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 GPU while the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 GPU is showing up to 3 times the performance increase.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline bytemaster

I would love to see this tested in memory coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
The population of the memory is sequential which helps eliminate memory bus latency and allows the CPU to saturate the BUS.  A GPU would have an advantage in the comparison step because it could compare all birthdays with the new birthday in parallel.    That said, a GPU would be limited in parallelism because it could only store 1000 or 2000 birthdays at a time.

Would it be limited also because the CPU could do the XOR step with data in L2 cache - so let's say an i7 with 4 cores could run 4 processes, each using 2MB L2 cache . . but a GPU running many more cores would run out of this faster memory much quicker.

Hope you don't mind, giving serious consideration to using this style of POW in the MemoryCoin relaunch.

Offline bytemaster

There are too many empty blocks in PTS block chain.  The whitepaper seems to imply that miners not including latest transactions in the block is a better mining strategy, or at least they don't have incentive to do so.

The most efficient mining strategy is to cache all transactions that you receive while mining the current block until someone finds the current block, and then create a new block with all of the cached transactions. This property means that a transaction broadcast 5 seconds after the last block was found has no advantage over a transaction broadcast 5 minutes after the last block was found
because few miners will begin working on including either transaction until the next block is found.

With this many empty blocks, many transaction confirmations got badly delayed, this clearly is not a desirable result -- am I missing something?

This does not prevent transactions from being included, this only delays their inclusion 1 block.   It may have some benefits for markets on block chains.

This property does not hold with the current momentum algorithm.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
Well, memory is one step, what else?
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
There are too many empty blocks in PTS block chain.  The whitepaper seems to imply that miners not including latest transactions in the block is a better mining strategy, or at least they don't have incentive to do so.

The most efficient mining strategy is to cache all transactions that you receive while mining the current block until someone finds the current block, and then create a new block with all of the cached transactions. This property means that a transaction broadcast 5 seconds after the last block was found has no advantage over a transaction broadcast 5 minutes after the last block was found
because few miners will begin working on including either transaction until the next block is found.

With this many empty blocks, many transaction confirmations got badly delayed, this clearly is not a desirable result -- am I missing something?

Offline bytemaster

I would like to refocus this topic on my Momentum 2.0 mining algorithm.  A new thread can be created to discuss human-in-the-loop mining.

Offline liberman

• View Profile
Who ever generated the captchas would know the answers.

Yeah, but you still have to mine.
That could be your advantage for being the main developers. I think we could all agree that you deserve more, as you are the guardians/promotors/inventors of the project.

Offline liberman

• View Profile
What would happen is some miner with ambitions to grab the entire market would pay Amazon's Mechanical Turk to have all of the private keys revealed and cached for when they are required.    It would be a lot of work, but once done would grant them all of the blocks.   Amazon would probably pay $0.05 per solution which means for $1 million dollars you would be able to 'own' $10 million dollars worth of blocks.     Perhaps you could scale it to billions of items...

Well, that means that person has to have $1 million dollars first. And then decide to invest on this. A very unlikely thing.
Putting the captchas is a better solution than just letting mine alone, because he can invest just $100,000 and have 70% of all the mining power.
(Note that with $100,000 you can rent 10,000  32 core computers in amazon for 10 hours, giving each of them around 700c/m, enough to obtain most of the bitshares.)

Offline bytemaster

I'm also interested in other companies trying things like this when they make their own Protoshares.  I think the model is too good to convince everyone to join your chain.

It could work well for other companies, that is true.

Offline Lighthouse

• Making a Market in PTS since 11/06/2013
    • View Profile
    • Lighthouse Bulk Orders and Trusted Escrow (Closed)
I'm also interested in other companies trying things like this when they make their own Protoshares.  I think the model is too good to convince everyone to join your chain.
Before you say the price of PTS is too high, take a look at theThe Reason.  Protoshares are an entirely new type of Cryptocurrency, one that pays to hold.