Author Topic: Open Bazaar  (Read 7653 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
you forgot the obvious:
BitShares Bazaar
BitBazaar :)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
BitShares Square
BitShares Plaza
BitShares Fair
BitShares Carnival
BitShares Jubilee
BitShares Tepee

Orbit by BitShares

Just thinking loud about possible names ^^
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
BitShares Market: +5%

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I started this thread because I think Open Bazaar is not viable in its current form.    I think I have a more profitable, self-funding, design for achieving the same thing they are.... only better.

1) Users shouldn't have to keep their computers on to "serve" their ads.  That is a non-starter for the masses.
2) Users want auctions as well as fixed price sales / ads.   
3) Users want a solid filtering system for items.

So you implement a DAC that allows users to post ads, start auctions, and implement "buy it now" functionality.   The DAC would execute the auction and natively support a local BitUSD / other currencies.

Merchants looking to sell to this audience now have a central place to list their products and get paid in BitUSD....

Implemented properly this DAC would grow far faster than Open Bazaar.. especially with the marketing it could fund to bootstrap.

Not that I want to "compete with everyone out there"... but you have to do it right and Open Bazaar is missing some critical design points.

Cool lets do it! And we shall name it Bitshares Market lol
But seriously if this could be done this would be a huge boost for bitUSD. I think why it will be hard to convince people to accept bitUSD is it has no track record. Having OB accept it would give it a track record. Now if we could make a DAC that competes with OB and accepts bitUSD from day 1 that would be HUGE!

this^  +5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline amencon

• View Profile
I think a "Bitshares Market" DAC is an excellent idea.  If you can build some buzz and a growing network around a DAC like that you get users that transact often.  With something like Bitcoin you end up with lots of adopters buying the coin and sitting on it.  With a market DAC people involved will be selling and buying and each way that means transaction fees.  Even with fees much lower than eBay I think you could have a very well funded DAC even with moderate success in getting merchants to adopt it as a place to conduct their business.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
The delegate issue is key.  If delegates cannot remain anonymous then there is no way they can achieve what OB is trying to achieve.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile
Not that we want to be linked with criminals but would a BitShares approach to this allow users to buy anything they want?
I know the idea behind Dark Market/open bazaar was to allow people to purchase what they think they want, not what their nanny state says they can have.

Are we talking about Something that requires TOR? Or a regular BitShares blockchain?

Or maybe a Nice store with an TOR section "You may only browse this section with TOR"

Either way, exciting! This is JUST the type of DAC BitShares needs to jump on. Merchants could even issue out "stock" in their online retail store and use the buy back mechanism BitShares Music plans to use to return value to artistcoin holders/ retail store stockholders.

Merchants that sell a kickass product could do that, and incentivize people to share their link or whatever.

Nxt has something similar. If it is done I think a new DAC should be created or it be ran on a separate network like Open Bazaar. That way those that want to partake can and those that don't won't have to. We could probably fork Nxt's market place pretty easily.. though I think Nxt can get away with it easier since they don't have delegates.. public figures that could be targeted by law enforcement.

I personally would not like anything like this in BTSX itself, not that I am against it but I think it may open up delegates to some type of government retribution. I know I personally would want to resign from being a delegate if we put it on the BTSX chain. That is why I prefer this being a completely separate entity a la Open Bazaar or a separate DAC.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:53:20 am by CoinHoarder »
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Not that we want to be linked with criminals but would a BitShares approach to this allow users to buy anything they want?
I know the idea behind Dark Market/open bazaar was to allow people to purchase what they think they want, not what their nanny state says they can have.

Are we talking about Something that requires TOR? Or a regular BitShares blockchain?

Or maybe a Nice store with an TOR section "You may only browse this section with TOR"

Either way, exciting! This is JUST the type of DAC BitShares needs to jump on. Merchants could even issue out "stock" in their online retail store and use the buy back mechanism BitShares Music plans to use to return value to artistcoin holders/ retail store stockholders.

Merchants that sell a kickass product could do that, and incentivize people to share their link or whatever.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Riverhead

Implemented properly this DAC would grow far faster than Open Bazaar.. especially with the marketing it could fund to bootstrap.

Not that I want to "compete with everyone out there"... but you have to do it right and Open Bazaar is missing some critical design points.

The genius behind the bitshares_toolkit becomes more and more evident in that you can put nearly any business front end on it.

I think it was Stuart Charles who said, "IPO in a box". Seems apt.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I started this thread because I think Open Bazaar is not viable in its current form.    I think I have a more profitable, self-funding, design for achieving the same thing they are.... only better.

1) Users shouldn't have to keep their computers on to "serve" their ads.  That is a non-starter for the masses.

So you implement a DAC that allows users to post ads, start auctions, and implement "buy it now" functionality.   The DAC would execute the auction and natively support a local BitUSD / other currencies.

Merchants looking to sell to this audience now have a central place to list their products and get paid in BitUSD....

I can do this... my current auction site is devcoinauctions.com (landing page http://devcoinauctions.com/welcome-landing/)  but I havent had time to list more auctions... its a standard wordpress style auction site (bidding fee auctions) with a buy it now option so it essentially can do both, allow you to bid and buy things cheaper than retail and/or use the bid cost to apply towards the buy it now price.. I believe this is a stronger business model than a store with just auctions, or a store with just buy it now style designs... people want the ability to win deals, and don't want to risk anything other than time to get them....

With an auction you compete with ebay etc.. with normal stores you compete with all of the tradtional online stores.. with a bidding fee style auction you compete with a few competitors and by adding buy it now, and presenting it in a DAC it essentially becomes the best of both worlds and brings another entry point into btsx.

My backend cost is really only hosting fees and profit is unlimited so it would be an ideal commodity to invest/buy into with shares.

If we want the ability to list your own items(consumer to consumer model) instead of a retailer/consumer model then we would need escrow or some sort of guarantor that will ensure people dont rip others off by running away with funds annonymously.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:21:22 am by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Plus from what I've heard OB won't be ready for a "mainstream" market until march 2015. If we can get something out before then... BOOM!

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

Cool lets do it! And we shall name it Bitshares Market lol
But seriously if this could be done this would be a huge boost for bitUSD. I think why it will be hard to convince people to accept bitUSD is it has no track record. Having OB accept it would give it a track record. Now if we could make a DAC that competes with OB and accepts bitUSD from day 1 that would be HUGE!

TurkeyLeg

+5% +5% +5%

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.