Author Topic: Proposal to Resolve a Million Issues at Once  (Read 109836 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Why do you have any confirmation from DNS,Music teams that they will join up with BTS?

Offline matt608

• View Profile
What I'd like to asap is confirmation from the VOTE team that they will join up with BTS rather than launching their own blockchain, as BM said he hadn't consulted with them about this.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
The mumble session was excellent..... +5%

I'm more confident in Dan, Stan and Bitshares than ever for continuing to innovate and adapt within a highly competitive market.  The idea that our investments would be best served by rigidly ignoring new information or experience is ridiculous. 

People i've been trying to get interested in Bitshares have said they would be more interested should the new proposal be implemented.....

Disclosure - founder, PTS, AGS before and after 28th Feb (way more after) and BTSx holder 

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I believe 1 super DAC with everything is a very good move. Simplicity is always better.

My only concern as an AGS shareholder after the 28th snapshot is that I gave up all my liquidity in order to get cheap shares on the future DACs before they explode. If we do merge in 1 DAC everything else I hope there is a good plan to compensate the AGS shareholders after the 28th snapshot. If I am getting diluted, or don't have again liquidity with this merging then no matter how BTS increase in the future I can't see how I will benefit from that since I was expecting to finally make some profit from the upcoming DACs.

Please consider this in your decisions.

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Here's the real question, once "stake holder approved dilution without limit" is encoded into software rules, do we have a DAC anymore or is this now a DAD (Decentralized Autonomous Democracy ?).

I'm posing this question here as a topic for a real debate ...

I don't claim to have a crystal ball or to know "the answer" if one is better than another, but it seems that going from a deflationary hard-bounded crypto equity to something resembling Apple stock (which can also be diluted without limit through a board vote, presumably on behalf of the best interest of all shareholders) should be debated on its own without other issues being commingled into the debate.

Well, its certainly still a company - just like Apple in the characteristics you mention. 
It is far more decentralized that Bitcoin. 
So you might better ask whether it is still autonomous:)

Yes, in every way that matters in the original concept.  No central authority can corrupt it (successfully).  If delegates get taken down in their jurisdictions others will pop up.  Its code is still inspectable and its data is still transparent.  And if DAC Sun goes away, someone else will pick up the baton and carry on.

And it is infinitely more answerable to its shareholders than Bitcoin and most of its alts.

Hi Stan, I was delighted to hear both Dan and yourself speaking lucid on mumble, and much of your reasoning feels valid. Obviously, there is no unique way forward, and every of the discussed moves may end up in failure, survival, or success, depending on upcoming events and other circumstances. it is very important to the community to keep i3 motivated, and for i3 to get community backing. however, i must admit, that even though the mumble session alleviated many concerns and brought most participants into cheering mood - perhaps now its time for the community to reflect non-emotionally and orderly discuss the pros/cons of main possible future roads?

I sense the issues alexkravets, amenocon and some others are pointing to are indeed quite fundamental. Via BTS United we might achieve faster adoption, marketing success plus concentration of efforts (which is paractical and emotionally rewarding). Though does it mean compromising the very soul, ideological foundations of the initial crypto-equity project with additional capital infusions? Meaning that BTS is rather innovative i3- and shareholder-powered tech company, rather than a novel entity behind tectonic shift in economic paradigms? Would you consider continuing debate about these issues more disturbing or desirable? I just feel that such fundamental shifts require more time to be reflected and decided upon by all stakeholders: leaders, developers and investors, unless there is an extreme urgency...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:59:48 pm by kisa0145 »

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
merging BTSX with PTS and AGS is not necessarily a bad thing, if we do it right.

if someone can come up with a proposal for the merger that are signed/approved by majority of share holders (>51%) of BTSX, PTS and AGS, then we have no option but to merge. I think it will become a historical event.

we are dealing with digital assets here, collecting signatures from share holders wouldn't be that hard.

In a traditional incorporated company, shareholders vote on issues affecting the company direction.  Bitshares is branded as a DAC - Decentralised Autonomous Company. If it aspires to be functioning like a traditional company, it needs to provide a way for its shareholders to vote on important issues such as merger and acquisition.  A motion has been raised to merge the DACs and make fundamental changes to PTS and AGS.  There are consequences that would impact each and every shareholders.  Can Bitshares live up to its name and provide its shareholders a means to vote on the motion?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:44:58 am by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline dipplum

• View Profile
merging BTSX with PTS and AGS is not necessarily a bad thing, if we do it right.

if someone can come up with a proposal for the merger that are signed/approved by majority of share holders (>51%) of BTSX, PTS and AGS, then we have no option but to merge. I think it will become a historical event.

we are dealing with digital assets here, collecting signatures from share holders wouldn't be that hard.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
I love the new proposal, but hate the confusion/instability. Too many delegates, that's true. Incoherent and embarrassing POW for PTS, that's true. Fixing illiquid AGS, great. One BitUSD to rule them all, huge. And I'm all for patience for the marketing side.

But the functional 1.0 wallet must be released, and the marketing campaign be launched at some point. i3 will have to focus on development. I hope this proposal will pass, and after that, no more messing around...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline amencon

• View Profile
A couple of things:

I for one dumped my PTS to go all in on BTSX because that was the DAC I believed in. Under your original model users would invest in just the DAC's they believed in and not invest in the ones they didn't.

What happened to profitable DAC'S funding themselves, paying their own way so to speak?

Remind me why we are diluting btsx to help PTS? These users have the liquidity advantage and are free to move into any DAC they like.

I looked at BTSX as a DAC on the edge of breaking out. The reason being "the big marketing push" , the creation of on and off ramps through the partnership with a bank or more likely credit union.Your argument is bitshares is to complex which is valid.Mine is that we have done nothing to educate (other then community lead efforts) the average user. Marketing up to this point seems to be completely centered at attracting big money, not education of the consumer. 

So why dilute btsx when is is getting ready to actually be marketed and partnerships are on the cusp of being formed? What is the need to change the plan before we give the original one a chance to succeed?

The opportunity appears now.

some more clarification please?

Once Bytemaster & his trusted mates discovered the "secret sauce recipe" and realized how to gain orders of magnitude faster penetration into the market by exploiting certain opportunities that have recently appeared, it became clear that the opportunities had to be seized. 

By now people should know that what they are investing in is the products of a very agile team that will stay ahead of the competition chiefly because of that agility.  We make no apologies for playing to that strength.  Those that are able to HODL will be rewarded.  Those who can't will fall off at the hairpin turns.  We will always have people who have climbed on board for the wrong reasons and they are the ones who will eject during the high-G maneuvers.  Buy when they sell.

If you want slow and steady, invest in Coca Cola.  :)
So basically those that don't just go with the flow and "+5%" every decision without all the actual information behind those decision are the "wrong" investors and good riddance if they leave because they actually want to invest based on facts and not vague cryptic comments that tell them nothing?

If we are going to debate what the best course of action is as a community then let's get all the facts on the table, otherwise this is all a very pointless exercise.  If there is some secret that somehow makes sense of you guys turning everything on it's head then let's hear it.  If you can't divulge it and instead want the community to go along with the "new world order" you're proposing then don't propose it and just do it.

Why bother engaging the community only to respond to inquisitive comments with three paragraphs that essentially boil down to "just trust us, we aren't going to explain the information we have that we are claiming is justification for the decisions we want to make, if that's a problem then you're not a good fit and get out"?

Listen, if you guys can't divulge some secret and you think you know best, then don't pretend like you want the community's input.  The community's input is worthless if you don't give them the same background information you have.  This whole episode feels like a charade.  If you guys know best and you want to build your DAC based on information you don't want to share just tell everyone how it's gonna be and to suck it up.

Quite frankly there is a fairly large portion of this community that will rubber stamp whatever new decision you roll out anyway.

BEFORE
I3: "Multiple chains/DACs that compete will scale better and out perform any single multi function DAC"
Community: "Brilliant!"
LATER
I3: "Consolidating DACs into a single DAC will simplify things and help tie up loose ends"
Community: "Brilliant!"

BEFORE
I3: "We are going to create a token that when bought will give shares of the multitude of DACs to be developed"
Community: "Genius!"
LATER
I3: "Even though we've just begun, let's end that token that is supposed to give shares in future DACs, further let's just do one main DAC after all, thereby mostly invalidating the entire concept behind PTS and AGS"
Community: "Genius!"
...etc

Maybe it's true that there is some secret that makes it a clear win for you guys to make all the proposed changes.  I'm not saying this is the wrong move from a technical or market standpoint, I don't have all the information to even begin to make that judgement.  What this does say for sure, without a doubt, is that any prospective investor in the Bitshares ecosystem should absolutely not invest based on the technology or code but instead in the I3 team, because anything planned or stated is obviously not something to be counted on and could and likely will change 180 degrees at some point.

I really hope that this secret is as big and awesome as you hint it is so that it will hopefully offset the huge hit to your guys' credibility.

In case the above didn't make it obvious, I'm against this proposal.  Not based on it's technical merits but because I don't like being solicited as an investor for something only for it to be changed so fundamentally after my investment is made.

I get that this is an evolving environment and that there are a ton of variables at play.  it's one reason I like the thought of multiple DACs and multiple chains.  BTSX was planned with a fixed cap and a burn so that the total supply shrunk over time.  My investment in BTSX reflected what I thought about those decisions.  Sounds like other DACs were planning to incorporate some kinds of dilution schemes.  Great, now I can invest in those DACs based on those merits.  Then over time it can be determined which features were successful or not.

Similarly my investment in PTS and AGS reflected my desire to gain at least some minimum stake in all new DACs.  Had I known there would be one DAC then I wouldn't have wasted buying PTS for a smaller stake in BTSX just to have those supposedly liquid tokens bought out at low prices to be rolled into the new single DAC planned.

As for dilution I get why it could be good for the DAC, IN THEORY.  Quite frankly I just don't trust that additional BTSX are going to benefit the DAC as much as they will hurt it.  Nobody can guarantee that the use of new funds will bring as much value as they cost to original investors.  I haven't seen a detailed proposal of exactly how and where those funds will be distributed and how it will be tracked to know exactly how much capital those extra funds brought in.  Just because some other standard companies use dilution successfully, doesn't automatically mean it will be the same for Bitshares.

Luckily I do have some trust in the I3 team, but if that's all I have to go on then this investment feels like an even greater gamble than before.  Obviously I'll just have to let go of trying to weigh the technical decisions made because they will likely get reversed soon after in spectacular fashion possibly due to information I'll be told exists but am not privy to.

There really isn't anything wrong with I3 determining the course of their products, I think I'm most annoyed that it's presented as if the community's input matters and that big news are dangled but not divulged.  I guess in the end just keep trying to build the most successful DAC or DACs you can, good luck.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
If someone is interested I've made a comparison to the old model here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10189.0
There are some questions I cannot answer though.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I step away for one day! Sucks that I missed the impromtu Mumble. Thanks for posting the audio.

I didn't see agent86 chime in, did I miss it in the last 20 pages of posts?

This topic was presented as a proposal but it's one that's being pushed pretty hard by BM and Stan. Is it still a proposal?

It has my vote for whatever that is worth. I like the idea of I3 working on one DAC. One blockchain. One product to market. One technology to explain to folks.

The buyout of PTS/AGS is a one time pain point from a PR and investor relations perspective but the rewards will be on going.

When I worked for IBM we found that it would take us three months to change the design of the box we shipped a product in. Clearly I3 under Stan and Dan's leadership do not have that issue.

I am particularly found of this post... the reason for that is to be further analyzed...

but for now it is highly rated  by my patent pending good post discovering bot!

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline fuzzy

BTSX is rallying now.  That panic dump was the bottom of this downtrend.  Buy all you can now, imo.

People are funny.

Devs run out a proposal that revolutionizes a revolutionary technology.

People panic sell.

Community realizes devs are awesome.

People panic buy.

Lol  +5%

Do you happen to also be a kidd oldman?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline oldman

• View Profile
These are the kind of changes you don't make after a launch. It's way too much change for the market to handle and it's not the kind of change anyone wants. The market is speaking.

In my opinion if you want unity then network the DACs using technical means. Don't change the names, don't change the internal structures or centralize it. Allow all DACs to pay a fee to join this network of DACs and use that network as a sort of support network for all the DACs.

It is a company. 
It is competing in a ruthless Darwinian evolutionary environment. 
It must continuously adapt or die. 
Arguments against change are arguments against adapting. 
The dinosaurs already tried that.

:)
   +5% for wise Stan

Folks need to understand BTS is not a currency with a fixed supply like BTC.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
BTSX is rallying now.  That panic dump was the bottom of this downtrend.  Buy all you can now, imo.

People are funny.

Devs run out a proposal that revolutionizes a revolutionary technology.

People panic sell.

Community realizes devs are awesome.

People panic buy.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
well ,BTSXer thought they've been robbed by PTS/AGSer,and the PTS/AGSer thought they've been robbed by BTSXer either.
 :P

Good point :D
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop