Author Topic: Introducing Sparkle - BitShares meets Proof of Work.  (Read 25134 times)

Offline fuzzy

Charles, is there a reason we are still chatting up on this thread?  Is this specifically meant to draw attention away from the primary thread?

Please moderators move this thread to one not conflicting with the legitimate sparkles thread.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
But then I can't do a Frost-Nixon. It really ties the room together.

Well if you are going to fling accusations and then make no effort to back them up don't go screaming like a girl  when you don't like how people treat you.(we can be sexist in crypto there are literally 0 women:'(

@gamey - I know you've mitigated your use of the phrase "go screaming like a girl" by using it in jest (and indicating that you'd like there to be more women in crypto). However, I'd still like to express my thoughts on this. I wish I could do it without making a big deal out of it, but the fact that I'm mentioning it at all seems to negate that possibility!

I've decided to comment on this occasion partially because I feel that people on this forum are sensible enough to understand my comments in the way I intend them, rather than to overreact. I've also seen things before (from other people) and nearly commented, and so I've just got to the point where I wish to say something.

My feeling is that the presence in society of flippant derogatory sayings is too commonplace. I think people are using phrases readily (often without malicious intent) and that this makes it more acceptable for the next person to say it. Casual sexism, casual racism et cetera. Much of the time this perhaps has no negative effect. In some cases, though, I think it can garner harmful effects. Firstly, in the more bigoted person, it can re-enforce their own ignorant beliefs. Secondly, it can hurt people who are the 'subjects' of the comments.

I saw this short video quite recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs
Using #LikeAGirl as an insult is a hard knock against any adolescent girl. And since the rest of puberty's really no picnic either, it's easy to see what a huge impact it can have on a girl's self-confidence.
We're kicking off an epic battle to make sure that girls everywhere keep their confidence throughout puberty and beyond, and making a start by showing them that doing it #LikeAGirl is an awesome thing.

"In my work as a documentarian, I have witnessed the confidence crisis among girls and the negative impact of stereotypes first-hand," said Lauren Greenfield, filmmaker and director of the #LikeAGirl video. "When the words 'like a girl' are used to mean something bad, it is profoundly disempowering. I am proud to partner with Always to shed light on how this simple phrase can have a significant and long-lasting impact on girls and women. I am excited to be a part of the movement to redefine 'like a girl' into a positive affirmation."

So much for me not making a big deal out of it hey?
@gamey - there are some REALLY dodgy comments to be found on the internet, so I'm sorry that I've picked on your mild and somewhat undeserving post to say this!

Q:    Why do men float?
A:    Because they're scum!

HAAAAAhahahahhhahaHAHAHAHAH! :P :P :P Hahahahahahahahah!
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
LOL! HAHAHAhahahaHAHAHAHA  :P :P :P

WTF am I doing? HAHAHAHAHA

P.S. @sparkles -  +5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

charleshoskinson

Well said. And if this space is going to be as big as many of us think, then there should be room for more than one company/community, right?

Hundreds of competitors from all sectors. Blockchain technology is basically a new database primitive. Any application that requires access to a trusted database could use blockchains in one way or another, which basically means the entire internet.

I think the most rapid area of innovation will be with systems that are data light, but trust rich. For example, digital identity management systems where one wants to put identity, reputation, and metadata on blockchain. Voting systems where you care about integrity, absolute transparency, non-repudiability, and rapid scaling. Contractual relationships that can now be modularized and made dynamic by both being connected to the instruments of value and trusted data feeds. And asset registry like land, art, collectible property, etc.

None of these things are in the big data domain of petabytes, but require a person to trust a third party to maintain the system and preserve the integrity of the underlying data.

Systems like trading, clearing and settlements, etc are a mixed bag in my opinion. When you're dealing with physical assets, you can't outsource trust to an algorithm. I have to deliver your gold. Furthermore, blockchain systems are prohibitively expensive to attempt to replicate the NYSE with the rapid, data intensive pace of trading. Rather, I think we'll see a hybrid structure where exchanges still exist, but have provable reserves, better user authentication, and standardized ACTUS like financial contracts that are smart while retaining a pseudo-centralized design. I think Chris Odom has the best insight in this respect with Open Transactions.

Perhaps the biggest long term area of innovation will be with internet infrastructure. Currently, we have a fragile, bottlenecked and highly backdoored internet with rather dumb routing. Stanford and others have proposed things like software defined networking via the clean slate initiative; however, the cost of replacing traditional backbone hardware would be astronomical thus things tend to upgrade very slowly. Look how long IPv6 and DNSSec are taking. This said, cryptocurrencies enable a completely new internet that has an incentive layer built in for routing, storage and computation.

We can tokenize the internet and instead of relying upon a massive server farm, one can have a distributive mesh of home PCs, cell phones, tablets, and other devices building a smarter, faster and more reliable second internet that also has strong cryptographic primitives built in making it totally dark from the NSA's perspective. Probably going to take a few years, but economics should drive this progress.

depends on the definition of community .. if you think about PTS/AGS social consensus ... you might not think of spliting that community ..

though you might see different communities when it comes to tech on the chain .. especially once we see turing complete scripting and vote-able hardforks ..   

One of the things I never imagined when Stan and I came up with protoshares (originally called IPOCoin for you history buffs) was how deep the notion of incumbancy value drives this space. Bitcoin is old, poorly scales, and suffers from a horrific monkey patched codebase alongside a bizarre upgrade path, yet the community clings to it like some sort of holy book. I believe it's mostly economic self-interest where the community cares mostly about the token value instead of the particulars of the technology.

One of the things Invictus should be commended for is its continued research of how to perform effective sharedropping and using this mechanism to move its community into new ideas. The economics aren't well studied, but its clear if you protect incumbent value, then you'll likely have a lot less resistance to innovation. The down side is that when one detects problems with the existing social contract that lead to things like tragedy of the commons or unfair advantage to certain adopters there is obviously going to be pushback when trying to change it.

I'm saying they can succeed in different spaces without usurping each others' niches. But maybe they'll all be greedy and do so anyway. Our community comes with the social consensus; anyone using this technology must honor that or they don't get us.

I don't think this is an absolute condition. What if you get 50 percent of what you had before because the distribution is shared with another community- kind of like a merger? There isn't an established corpus of research to suggest consumer behavior and thus its speculation connected to isolated events. I think over time we'll all get a better notion of what can be done and what can't via many experiments and failures.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
depends on the definition of community .. if you think about PTS/AGS social consensus ... you might not think of spliting that community ..

though you might see different communities when it comes to tech on the chain .. especially once we see turing complete scripting and vote-able hardforks ..

I'm saying they can succeed in different spaces without usurping each others' niches. But maybe they'll all be greedy and do so anyway. Our community comes with the social consensus; anyone using this technology must honor that or they don't get us. 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
It's really important to remember that we are all in this industry together and that we have to have a fun time. Sure there is competition, hard feelings, and at times tough decisions; however, that really shouldn't rob us of our humanity or love of the technology.

Bitcoin,  bitshares, ethereum, counterparty, and other contenders are all young and have a lot of great life ahead. Anyone who claims to know the winners and how it's all going to turn out is either delusional or dishonest. It's about mixing passion with technology in the most effective way and hoping for something good. Sparkle I wish you the best and goodluck with your project.

Well said. And if this space is going to be as big as many of us think, then there should be room for more than one company/community, right?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It's really important to remember that we are all in this industry together and that we have to have a fun time. Sure there is competition, hard feelings, and at times tough decisions; however, that really shouldn't rob us of our humanity or love of the technology.

Bitcoin,  bitshares, ethereum, counterparty, and other contenders are all young and have a lot of great life ahead. Anyone who claims to know the winners and how it's all going to turn out is either delusional or dishonest. It's about mixing passion with technology in the most effective way and hoping for something good. Sparkle I wish you the best and goodluck with your project.
+5% +5%

charleshoskinson

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:51:13 am by charleshoskinson »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I'm having fun  :D

IMO thread of the year.

My first program was written in BASIC on some sort of Apple.  I think it cleared the screen in a color.  I've programmed on and off for years.  I must have been in 7th grade. 
I speak for myself and only myself.

zerosum

I think the most fun I've ever had was when I was wrote my first python program. It was a choose your own adventure for the command line I wrote for my older brother.

It's really amazing all these years later that was the most memorable moment.

Let's turn this thread to my best moment/most memorably code I have ever written:

Mine was in 1986, money return algo (in undisclosed language),
closely followed by pick the last straw and you lose/win in:

I
II
III
IIII
IIIII
IIIIII
IIIIIII

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
can we lock this thread so the real thread can get traction please?
maybe this thread should remove to other child Boards  like "Third Party DACs"
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

charleshoskinson

I think the most fun I've ever had was when I was wrote my first python program. It was a choose your own adventure for the command line I wrote for my older brother.

It's really amazing all these years later that was the most memorable moment.

zerosum

I'm having fun  :D

Let's go on then!

Or do you mean in general...in life, for the first time ever?

PS
Be nice and inform all involved of the kind of results/deverstation you tend to leave wherever you have been.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:15:29 am by tonyk2 »

charleshoskinson

zerosum

can we lock this thread so the real thread can get traction please?

This is the REAL thread. The other one is just a pump up for this one!