Author Topic: ripple rally  (Read 44842 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Yeah, now imagine a decentralized Ripple with a fair launch and the ability to trade assets with or without counterparty risk.

Oh, and the ability to do cold wallets like bitcoin

We imagine that since last year... The rest of the market needs to start imagining the same now.. :)

Offline svk

Another +18% today, it's now at ~$2.4 billion market cap and over half of Bitcoin if you count the full supply... Really blows my mind..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
"Bitshares is like decentralized ripple" sounds like a great way to try and promote bitshares.

I used your tagline here. Call it a real world trial!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2pjp31/are_whales_selling_bitcoin_to_buy_ripple/cmxcoio

Offline pendragon3

agree with Rune, Ripple rise would be rather positive for BitShares.
Both because it draws serious institutional attention into crypto 2.0 projects, and because BitShares is complementary to Ripple.

Ripple  is targeting to replace SWIFT etc. for the existing banking system, with the nodes will likely be controlled by some interbanking network. So not exactly centralised, but definitely not as decentralised and democratic as BTS!

Much higher XRP market cap is reflective in my view of rather mature system. As far as I understand, Ripple Labs had certain time advance versus Invictus with regards to product design, team building, development, marketing. BTS is much more "work in progress with moving targets" which will imo a fundamentally new type of economic organization and will prove its strength over time due to its inherent flexibility.

Still, just a few months ago, Ripple had major issues with dev team stability and initial stakes distributions, suffering huge declines in market cap (from $10bn peak for all 100bn xrp in Dec 2013 to some $400m a few months ago). The possible reversal of the fortunes now provides a good example for BitShares to stick in and continue to work on improvements, resolving issues, and keeping enthusiasm independently of price action...

I'm thinking that the recent upward surge in Ripple XRP might be driven largely by Chinese investors, which is reminiscent of what happened to BTC last Nov. Interestingly, when you click on the price details of XRP on Coinmarketcap, you see that the BTC38 price (XRP/CNY in $ terms) is way higher than prices on the other high-volume ripple exchanges. This price gap has been persistent for a while, suggesting that Chinese traders have been leading the price upwards.

The same pattern is also apparent for Stellar, Jed McCaleb's offshoot of Ripple.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
"Bitshares is like decentralized ripple" sounds like a great way to try and promote bitshares.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Any particular reason there isn't a XRP pegged asset? At least then we'd cash in on some of the trading activity :)

+5%

Lets give XRP feeds !!!

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
Any particular reason there isn't a XRP pegged asset? At least then we'd cash in on some of the trading activity :)

:(

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
Here is a quote from https://ripple.com/ripple_primer.pdf
page 12.
Ripple Labs hopes to make money from XRP if the world finds the Ripple network
useful and broadly adopts the protocol.

100 billion XRP was created with the Ripple protocol. Ripple Labs plans to gift
55 billion XRP to charitable organizations, users, and strategic partners in the
ecosystem over time. The company will retain a portion with the hope of crating a
robust and liquid marketplace in order to monetize its only asset sometime in the
future.

I guess they haven't started giving XPR away yet.

Neither have Chris Larsen of Ripple Labs (www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpdX36p6ao#t=3m49s)
started donated 7 billion XRP to the underbanked.
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ripple-ceo-chris-larsen-to-donate-7-billion-xrp-to-the-underbanked/

Apparently, he made that pledge after

Jesse Powell ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQXSqmugtE)
founder and CEO of Kraken, resigned from the Ripple Labs board of directors
with the following comments

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ripple-board-member-jesse-powell-resigns-wake-founder-sell/
I believe that the technology and the protocol hold great promise,
and have since the beginning, which is why I was the company’s first
investor. Since Jed’s departure, the management of the company has
taken a different direction. Sadly, the vision Jed and I had for the
project in the early days has been lost.

I’m no longer confident in the management nor the company’s ability
 to recover from the founders’ perplexing allocation
to themselves of 20% of the XRP, which I had hoped until recently
would be returned. Prior to Jed’s departure from Ripple,
 I had asked the founders to return their XRP to the company.
Jed agreed but Chris declined—leaving a stalemate.
This afternoon, I revisited the allocation discussion
with the pair and again, where Jed was open, Chris was hostile.

A few more of Jesse's comments:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/jesse-powells-fiery-response-to-ripple-labs-accusations/
Jed and I got started with Ripple in September of 2011.
I believe Chris joined sometime  around August of 2012.
 Prior to Chris joining, the company had two investors.
I’m not sure when Jed and Chris allocated themselves the XRP
but they say it was before incorporation, which occurred in September of 2012.
In my view, the two stole company assets when they took the XRP without approval of the
 early investors, and without sharing the allocation amongst the other shareholders.
 Whatever coin they allocated themselves prior to incorporation of Opencoin, Inc.
 [Author’s Note: Opencoin later became Ripple], I believe was abandoned.
 There had been several ledger resets between Sep 2012 and Dec 2012, and
 a new version of Ripple emerged, built by Opencoin, Inc., clearly with company resources.
 If Jed and Chris have continued to run the old software to preserve their Betacoin,
 I have no problem. Unfortunately, Jed and Chris again allocated themselves XRP
 in December of 2012. That XRP unquestionably was not gifted by Jed and Chris
 to the company, it did not exist prior to the company’s existence, and
 it was generated with company resources. That XRP has always belonged to the
 company and it was taken from the company by Jed and Chris. I’m asking them to return what they’ve stolen.

Here is Jed McCaleb presenting Stellar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rr_iA3Qog (made eDonkey, made MtGox sold to the guy in Japan,
founded Ripple)

It's a small world, isn't it? When are they going to drop their billions of XRP on it?

The response from the Ripple Labs
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ripple-drama-continues-company-sends-cease-desist-letter-former-board-member-jesse-powell/

Ripple labs team:
https://www.ripplelabs.com/team/

Edit: typos, quotes

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:06:17 pm by fundomatic »

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
So all those smart people at Ripple forums who said that Ripple is the next big thing were right after all... so much for it being centralized to fail...
Price rallies and its next big thing?? really?

Yes, thats how it works.

*Looks at price*

Yeah, its up 20% again.  Not only that, but every other crypto is getting destroyed today.
Ripple's real supply is 100B XRP, which means ripple is already at 40% of bitcoin right now.
No other alt has gotten anywhere near that close. 

Every time BTS goes up, it follows with a 100% retracement in a slow bleed over the following week, and then a big dump back to the bottom. 
Every time XRP goes up...it goes up again the next day, and the next. 

Ripple is in a bull market and pretty much every other crypto is stuck in the bear.

Too bad we didnt have marketing these past 3 months.

Yeah it's the number 2 effect, it gives you a big spotlight and a lot of attention. You become hard to ignore when Bitcoin is in a bear market. The value of any positive news they release is amplified ten fold. I actually think the marketing team did understand the power of getting to number two. Unfortunately the merger was the minority fork from a CAP perspective and now we have to get our CAP up the hard way. I'm not sold on the Ripple business model so I wouldn't be surprised to see them crash still.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
So all those smart people at Ripple forums who said that Ripple is the next big thing were right after all... so much for it being centralized to fail...

Yes, thats how it works.

*Looks at price*

Yeah, its up 20% again.  Not only that, but every other crypto is getting destroyed today.
Ripple's real supply is 100B XRP, which means ripple is already at 40% of bitcoin right now.
No other alt has gotten anywhere near that close. 

Every time BTS goes up, it follows with a 100% retracement in a slow bleed over the following week, and then a big dump back to the bottom. 
Every time XRP goes up...it goes up again the next day, and the next. 

Ripple is in a bull market and pretty much every other crypto is stuck in the bear.

Too bad we didnt have marketing these past 3 months.

But thats still okay.  Before we try to become #1, we have to become #2.  Thats true if #1 is bitcoin, or if its ripple. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:34:48 pm by Ander »

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Sometimes, perceptions can become reality. If ripple manages to overtake btc in market cap, they will be a more formidable competitor for BitShares, without some of the key weaknesses of Bitcoin: slow confirmation time, wasteful mining, and changing supply. They will then get a lot of attention from the community. They will also have a really big war chest in terms of XRP that they can spend to fund development.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Which all points to the importance for BitShares of getting to a stable Client 1.0 as soon as possible. Every day that goes by without that further reduces our chances of success.

Ripple surpassing bitcoin is a huge opportunity for bitshares, not a threat. It will signal the beginning of the altcoin era and many bitcoin investors will finally begin taking a serious look at the altcoins. Everyone who believes in privacy and decentralization will go with bitshares rather than ripple, and goldbug/prepper/libertarian types will be especially attracted to it because it has the same antifragile and decentralized properties that people originally thought bitcoin possessed.

You may be right for the longer term, but the market doesn't seem to agree currently.

Right now, the vast majority of people don't care that much about decentralization and extra privacy--if they did, crypto would've already had much faster and broader uptake among the general populous.

The people who care about those things are currently HODLing bitcoin and fanatically insisting it is the future. If ripple surpasses it they'll finally have to accept the fact that bitcoin isn't the one coin to end them all, and I think the altcoin that will be most attractive to the average bitcoin holder will be bitshares. Maybe ethereum will be able to compete with us for the bitcoin demographic, but we still have decentralized funding which is something they're not even planning on implementing yet. The fact that there is an Ethereum Foundation is a huge advantage for us.

Offline pendragon3

Sometimes, perceptions can become reality. If ripple manages to overtake btc in market cap, they will be a more formidable competitor for BitShares, without some of the key weaknesses of Bitcoin: slow confirmation time, wasteful mining, and changing supply. They will then get a lot of attention from the community. They will also have a really big war chest in terms of XRP that they can spend to fund development.

Which all points to the importance for BitShares of getting to a stable Client 1.0 as soon as possible. Every day that goes by without that further reduces our chances of success.

Ripple surpassing bitcoin is a huge opportunity for bitshares, not a threat. It will signal the beginning of the altcoin era and many bitcoin investors will finally begin taking a serious look at the altcoins. Everyone who believes in privacy and decentralization will go with bitshares rather than ripple, and goldbug/prepper/libertarian types will be especially attracted to it because it has the same antifragile and decentralized properties that people originally thought bitcoin possessed.

You may be right for the longer term, but the market doesn't seem to agree currently.

Right now, the vast majority of people don't care that much about decentralization and extra privacy--if they did, crypto would've already had much faster and broader uptake among the general populous.

Offline kisa

• View Profile
agree with Rune, Ripple rise would be rather positive for BitShares.
Both because it draws serious institutional attention into crypto 2.0 projects, and because BitShares is complementary to Ripple.

Ripple  is targeting to replace SWIFT etc. for the existing banking system, with the nodes will likely be controlled by some interbanking network. So not exactly centralised, but definitely not as decentralised and democratic as BTS!

Much higher XRP market cap is reflective in my view of rather mature system. As far as I understand, Ripple Labs had certain time advance versus Invictus with regards to product design, team building, development, marketing. BTS is much more "work in progress with moving targets" which will imo a fundamentally new type of economic organization and will prove its strength over time due to its inherent flexibility.

Still, just a few months ago, Ripple had major issues with dev team stability and initial stakes distributions, suffering huge declines in market cap (from $10bn peak for all 100bn xrp in Dec 2013 to some $400m a few months ago). The possible reversal of the fortunes now provides a good example for BitShares to stick in and continue to work on improvements, resolving issues, and keeping enthusiasm independently of price action...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:56:45 pm by kisa »

Offline Rune

• View Profile