Author Topic: Default Vote for Core Devs???  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Re: Default Vote for Core Devs???
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2015, 09:56:46 pm »
I prefer stupid people are upfront and obvious. He's doing us a favour spawning activity on BitcoinTalk. More threads the better.. 'bad press' like this is weak and then good for the positive attention it will draw from sensible people who are not so easily taken in.

Good point.  Outrageous flaming posts can work like "click bait" to bring folks in for a whole BitShares promotional thread.  Suggest we use such opportunities to recommend our favorite episodes of Max's BitSharesTV videos or Bytemaster's Blog articles.  Hard to maintain the fiction of an obvious troll's accusations when you've got recommended links to reasonable people talking about exciting things. 

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

sumantso

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
I prefer stupid people are upfront and obvious. He's doing us a favour spawning activity on BitcoinTalk. More threads the better.. 'bad press' like this is weak and then good for the positive attention it will draw from sensible people who are not so easily taken in.

Good point.  Outrageous flaming posts can work like "click bait" to bring folks in for a whole BitShares promotional thread.  Suggest we use such opportunities to recommend our favorite episodes of Max's BitSharesTV videos or Bytemaster's Blog articles.  Hard to maintain the fiction of an obvious troll's accusations when you've got recommended links to reasonable people talking about exciting things. 

We are trying to cure their insomnia?

Offline abelljefrry

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2015, 10:04:45 pm »
-100% Definitely a bad idea.

On a side note, the least that we can do on user-side is choose a descriptive delegate name. For example 'projectname-dev.username' is better than just 'username' or 'randomword.username'. This might help casual users get some basic idea about that delegate and make an informed decision.
Need a designer for your project? Hire me! I accept BTS as payment :)

View my BitShares design portfolio here : bit.ly/BitSharesPortfolio

merockstar

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 10:11:18 pm »
makes me think about the big stink a long time about about microsoft installing IE on computers by default, not giving netscape a chance to compete.

I think I'm opposed. It's a harmless enough proposal, but the spin doctors, as you can see, would have a hayday.

i would like to ask, is there a reason this topic is on your mind BM? are some of the devs having trouble keeping votes?

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2015, 10:13:36 pm »
Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet.

The trust we give the dev team when we download the wallet is the same trust that they won't do things like this.

If the devs push this through, me or someone else will fork the code immediately upon new releases with this removed.

Perhaps in the future, it would be best if the dev team had initial private meetings to discuss things like this before bringing them to the forums. This way, when you do bring them to the forums, pros/cons for the idea can be established, as well as alternative ideas.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:16:10 pm by fluxer555 »

merockstar

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2015, 10:17:34 pm »
Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet.

The trust we give the dev team when we download the wallet is the same trust that they won't do things like this.

If you pushed this through, me or someone else would fork the code immediately upon new releases with this removed.

Perhaps in the future, it would be best if the dev team had initial private meetings to discuss things like this before bringing them to the forums. This way, when you do bring them to the forums, pros/cons for the idea can be established, as well as alternative ideas.

honestly, i hope he doesn't take that advice. the dev team's willingness to discuss everything with the community this way is one of this projects strong suits I think.

FUDmeisters are gonna FUD no matter how much we give them. discussing this subject is harmless.

We should be concerned about the FUD that springs from actual changes that get implemented. FUD from discussions like this only serves to make more people aware of the project in my opinion.

Offline davidpbrown

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2015, 10:18:53 pm »

Surely that's a bad idea?.. we want to avoid centralisation in all forms. Over time such a habit would be a liability. I much prefer the way thoughts are thrown out there. We can hammer them down fast enough.. but having a group think is useful for spawning other ideas. Having teacher tell us the way it is and provide only a limited set of options, isn't always best. That said, as we navigate new legislation and where advice has been taken on matters of law etc, then the tone of what is proposed can be different enough to indicate depth to an idea. In future there will be heritage to draw on too but better an open community thinking about all options than having devs wasting their time thinking simple thoughts that we can do.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2015, 10:25:00 pm »

We are trying to cure their insomnia?

LOL :)   Well, the point is leave something you'd like to share for people to find, rather than just mount a defense.  Refuting the OP is worthwhile.  Leaving something positive behind is priceless. 

Normally, we have to pay to get clicks.  Let's use the free one's trolls go out and attract for us.

I think this is a specialty skill our NullStreet marketers should advise us on.  How to do jujutsu marketing. 

Maybe even develop a troll response press kit?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:42:15 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2015, 10:27:19 pm »
honestly, i hope he doesn't take that advice. the dev team's willingness to discuss everything with the community this way is one of this projects strong suits I think.

FUDmeisters are gonna FUD no matter how much we give them. discussing this subject is harmless.

We should be concerned about the FUD that springs from actual changes that get implemented. FUD from discussions like this only serves to make more people aware of the project in my opinion.

A balance is desirable, and I think this thread demonstrates that we have not achieved balance.

When you are with your spouse, you do not say anything and everything that comes to your mind. There is an intelligent filter, partly based on empathy for the other and being sensitive to their perceptions. This preempted empathy can lead you to new understandings without even needing to actually talk to the person/group, i.e. "Shareholders will probably be upset with this. Why would they be upset? Perhaps my current logical understanding is missing a few essential pieces."

When I say 'private dev meetings', it sounds more official or dramatic than what I mean. It could simply be a text convo over Skype with Toast that lasts 10 minutes.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2015, 10:43:13 pm »
"Good" idea, but we have to change our slogan from "Do you want to be hired by the blockchain?" to "Do you want to be born with the blockchain?"   -5%, -5%, -5%

BTS is an experiment, and it is the investors who are paying for it. If BM is using his own money to do this experiment, he can absolutely do whatever he wants. Unfortunately, it is not.

Any people who are involved in this experiment, no matter investors or developers, by default should take risk. If you can not tolerate the pressure due to the risk, just leave. Nothing is supposed to be guaranteed, including the blockchain salary.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2015, 11:41:03 pm »
what about the first 10-20 place delegates will get paid  for 3 months further even when voted out (but stop producing blogs of course for security reasons ) so top delegates have  at  least a minimum  3 months security at any moment ?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2015, 12:25:46 am »
I wasn't suggesting any thing be guaranteed.  Core developers could always be voted out even if by default they were approved. 

It is clear there is a lot of controversy over this, so it will not be implemented.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline mitao

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2015, 12:28:43 am »
Some of the names has never or rarely come to forum. So the users have to trust them because Dan trust them? Why can't they post their own proposal? This thread is not merely centralization, you are trying to become a king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:01 am »
We need to be a little patient with this model.

Many devs prefer technical complexity to social complexity.
Asking them to participate in a continuous job interview is asking a lot.

I expect that those of us who enjoy interacting with people are going to have to pitch in and help them out a bit here.  Bytemaster has told us who he would like to have on his team.  He is very, very, very picky.

If we want BitShares to succeed, we won't ask alpha-geeks to perform unnatural acts.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2015, 12:46:25 am »
Wow just saw this now. Woke up very excited but now see another PR snafu. Again obviously a no go area, running it by an outsider would have raised a red flag immediately.