Author Topic: Bter hacked. PTS, bitassets withdrawal successful. Share you experience.  (Read 120617 times)

julian1

There is now only 1 central exchange (that has more than $2000/day volume) to buy and sell BitShares. This seems like a very precarious position.

On the same note, there's a > 300 comment thread about bter leading /r/bitcoin. A couple mentions of decentralized exchanges, and no mention of Bitshares. We are invisible to the outside world.

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
There is now only 1 central exchange (that has more than $2000/day volume) to buy and sell BitShares. This seems like a very precarious position.
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline graffenwalder

Offline fuzzy

oh lord...the pain. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Shapeshift just twitted

https://twitter.com/ShapeShift_io/status/567047121208360960

Due to BTER being hacked, #ShapeShift will not be able to do NBT, BTS or BitUSD transactions at this time. Stay tuned for updates.

That explains that at least.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
If it is claimed that a 'cold wallet' has been 'hacked' then one or more of the following is true:
  • It was NOT a cold wallet
  • It was NOT hacked
  • The 'hack' involved someone having access to 'keys' by non-internet based means
  • Someone was so incredibly lucky that they managed to guess the private keys (not realistically feasible)

edit: this wasn't in response to your post @Ander.

It was a cold wallet that went hot to transfer funds to hot wallet, and the hacker was patiently waiting for this to happen. BTER had no idea their systems had been compromised and the hacker was waiting for them to bring the cold wallet online to make a transfer.

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
Shapeshift just twitted

https://twitter.com/ShapeShift_io/status/567047121208360960

Due to BTER being hacked, #ShapeShift will not be able to do NBT, BTS or BitUSD transactions at this time. Stay tuned for updates.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Cryptohedge held 27 BTC at the time of the hack. Any guesses to how big the haircut will be?

I really hope they didn't steal BTS or bitassets. Even if they didn't this is still a huge blow. Bter likely won't continue operations and if they did there'd be no liquidity. So now we have to find new markets for our bitassets - a real shame since bitgold had just got listed and bitUSD had just started picking up in volume.

I fear all the depositors will get zero out of this.

jajaja

where are the bosses. anyone talk oficially to bter from BitShares?

I hope our devs have a privileged communicate channel to Bter and work on a solution for our bts depositors.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:44:42 pm by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
The hacks sucks since everything will likely go down the moment that BTC just started to pick up again...
Tomorrow there might be some really bad news from Greece and this would help btc and all cryptos under normal circumstances...

But let's now all start looking at the bride side...Hold onto your BTS and buy up anyone is selling. Then spread the word and the necessity once again for the advantages of BTS decentralized exchange and let's all work all together to increase BTS market cap when everything else is falling...Let's reverse the trend...BTC falls ==> BTS goes UP! This will bring more people and more confidence in our ecosystem

zerosum

BTC 80% lost (do not ask me what the criteria for BTC will be - BTC deposited or held as bter_IOU_BTC).
 anything else - BTS, bitUSD. bitGold....any alt... 20% loss but the 80% back in 2-2.5 year.

Just a guess....Hope I am wrong.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Cryptohedge held 27 BTC at the time of the hack. Any guesses to how big the haircut will be?

I really hope they didn't steal BTS or bitassets. Even if they didn't this is still a huge blow. Bter likely won't continue operations and if they did there'd be no liquidity. So now we have to find new markets for our bitassets - a real shame since bitgold had just got listed and bitUSD had just started picking up in volume.

zerosum

btw, why do you have a new account?

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11871.msg185151#msg185151

My favourite number is 888 so I ended Empirical1.1 after 888 posts.

but your first one only has 885?! https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2288  must be the cause of the hack!
:p

Yeah I noticed that :( I think I've lost the password for that one otherwise I'd actually get it back up to 888. Some months ago when they updated the forum/something some people lost a few posts but it was left on 888 originally.
Yes, he had 888 posts on his account when he ended it ( I also had exactly 2000 on tonyk.... now less).
But mysterious dilation of posts and inability to transfer a domain to a new host is the only work we have to rely on to judge the bitsapphire before paying for their best-of-the best, forced-delegate-voting, peertrack-targeted, BTS-pre-paid-for wallet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:36:15 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline davidpbrown

Welcome to the wild west.

There will be bounty hunters.. Wanted Dead or Alive
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline klosure

• View Profile
The only two rational explanations I can see are that the transaction of 7k+ was generated and signed offline, or the private key of the cold wallet was leaked by the cold wallet operator and the balance withdrawn.
The 7k+ transaction wasn't a pre-generated and pre-sigend transaction: it's using the 5BTC return output of the last 100 BTC top up transaction as input, so it was generated and signed after the last 100 BTC transaction was broadcast.
http://www.walletexplorer.com/txid/f5b0363f03e1ed8bb812c135361ea93590c831ce9f13a3750be1b93575baccc6

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
jajaja

where are the bosses. anyone talk oficially to bter from BitShares?
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ