Author Topic: Bter hacked. PTS, bitassets withdrawal successful. Share you experience.  (Read 123446 times)

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
Where did you get that?

If you read my post above you'll see there was some glitch that incorrectly credited me with BTS & BitUSD on Fri that I noticed on Sat. I doubt I was the only one and I imagine the strange dump of BTS on Bter on Fri was probably related to that glitch/hack.

It seems to me that the hacker sold any free BTS they got and ran off with the BTC.  The dump was like 3 million BTS, followed by a few more 200k dumps.  At most probably 5M BTS.  Bter probably can cover that, or at least fulfill 95%.

Unless there is a ~50M BTS tranfer on our blockchain yesterday, the BTS should be fine, or alternately almost all of it fine. 

Can anyone see a transaction like that?

How do you know the hacker got any BTS? sounds like the hacker was just targeting BTC, and waiting for BTER to make a transfer from cold wallet, and as soon as BTER did the transfer, the hacker was able to empty their cold wallet and run off. Doesn't seem the hacker got any BTS

Offline graffenwalder

Where did you get that?

If you read my post above you'll see there was some glitch that incorrectly credited me with BTS & BitUSD on Fri that I noticed on Sat. I doubt I was the only one and I imagine the strange dump of BTS on Bter on Fri was probably related to that glitch/hack.
It seems to me that the hacker sold any free BTS they got and ran off with the BTC.  The dump was like 3 million BTS, followed by a few more 200k dumps.  At most probably 5M BTS.  Bter probably can cover that, or at least fulfill 95%.

Unless there is a ~50M BTS tranfer on our blockchain yesterday, the BTS should be fine, or alternately almost all of it fine. 

*paranoia alert*
What if it was an inside job?
We all remember the alleged BitBay IPO, where they would have cooked the books, with fake BTC.
The devs from crypti have been trying to get there new wallet up and running for weeks now, but bter isn't complying. This was also a bter IPO.
Also that whole NXT hack seems fishy, why would you return it?
And last but not least, an hacked cold wallet?
Maybe things grew out of hand like it did with MT.Gox.
It would also explain the heavy sells on bter, since bter has yet to give it's costumers their vested balances.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Only 170 BTC got washed, the other 7000 is still sitting in 7 separate accounts.

That's not the only strange thing, this morning there was a deposit into to cold wallet with this note:
Public Note: Good afternoon! Your help is necessary. My wife has a problem with health, treatment is necessary (we expect a baby). If you have some unnecessary btc or satosh, please, help, we will rejoice any help.
https://blockchain.info/tx/8b3a5448471947ce1ff890a9f250db85ef56a7431b20b0f3e41e3600b1dd8014

How? that could have been the inputs into the hot wallet not necessarily random transactions
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Where did you get that?

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline graffenwalder

Only 170 BTC got washed, the other 7000 is still sitting in 7 separate accounts.

That's not the only strange thing, this morning there was a deposit into to cold wallet with this note:
Public Note: Good afternoon! Your help is necessary. My wife has a problem with health, treatment is necessary (we expect a baby). If you have some unnecessary btc or satosh, please, help, we will rejoice any help.
https://blockchain.info/tx/8b3a5448471947ce1ff890a9f250db85ef56a7431b20b0f3e41e3600b1dd8014

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Why do they hold 7K BTC in only one cold wallet? Why not have max 1K BTC in one cold wallet. I don't understand. Am i missing something ?

if it would be a cold wallet, no hacker could touch it!

But it sounds not like a cold wallet to me, or someone is running withit physically right now :D

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
If the hacker is smart they would buy bitbtc or bts on the decentralized exchange to avoid being tracked... So this might be bullish for us shortterm and long.. If they use a central exchange they risk being caught

According to reddit the hacker already washed it.  They prob have no idea what bts gateways are and have so many btc they can't funnel through our network

How?

I have a tool that will trace an address down to its origin maybe i can use it to try to detect if any deposit tx if originating from the bad tx.. If exchanges used it u can track the theif?

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
There aren't many choices for altcoin exchanges.  It's an opportunity for bts

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
If the hacker is smart they would buy bitbtc or bts on the decentralized exchange to avoid being tracked... So this might be bullish for us shortterm and long.. If they use a central exchange they risk being caught

According to reddit the hacker already washed it.  They prob have no idea what bts gateways are and have so many btc they can't funnel through our network

Offline graffenwalder

I like your optimism

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Cant ppl blacklist the address to track them?

I think they must have imported pvt key of cold wallet into hot wallet and then xfer some to their exchange.. How else would they xfer from a cold wallet unless it was a node that went online just for an xfer

Blacklists won't help if thieves can launder and wash to bluff the trace.

How can they launder say if all exchNges and localbitcoins were notified of the hackers tx

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Cant ppl blacklist the address to track them?

I think they must have imported pvt key of cold wallet into hot wallet and then xfer some to their exchange.. How else would they xfer from a cold wallet unless it was a node that went online just for an xfer

Blacklists won't help if thieves can launder and wash to bluff the trace.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Deliberate Sunday ambush. Hopefully people wake up to the $169 834 bounty.

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
Why do they hold 7K BTC in only one cold wallet? Why not have max 1K BTC in one cold wallet. I don't understand. Am i missing something ?