Author Topic: Bter hacked. PTS, bitassets withdrawal successful. Share you experience.  (Read 120611 times)

Offline toknormal

• View Profile

I had all my Bitshares on there.

Kept promising myself I'd get round to "learning" how to make a Bitshares cold wallet with as much confidence as I have with QT and never got round to it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Can we lock this thread and start another one? Unless the goal is to create cheap BTS, the title looks rather alarmist to casual observers. It looks like Bitcoin was stolen, not BitShares.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:12:05 pm by donkeypong »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

No rollbacks! The solution is to reduce our dependence on centralized exchanges.

Agree we need less dependency on them.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Cant ppl blacklist the address to track them?

I think they must have imported pvt key of cold wallet into hot wallet and then xfer some to their exchange.. How else would they xfer from a cold wallet unless it was a node that went online just for an xfer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:04:56 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Where did you get that?

If you read my post above you'll see there was some glitch that incorrectly credited me with BTS & BitUSD on Fri that I noticed on Sat. I doubt I was the only one and I imagine the strange dump of BTS on Bter on Fri was probably related to that glitch/hack.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
I apologize for the newbie question, I never dealt with snapshots in the wallet.  Is it possibly to export keys from BTER that would allow snapshots to be imported into the wallet?  I kept 95% of my coins off the exchange but did have slightly larger snapshots.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Where did you get that?

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I can't believe how many people there are supporting rollbacks (even if it's targeted rollbacks to a small set of transactions) in this thread. It completely undermines the blockchain.

Its not BTS, its their BTC.  We should all be okay.

Good, let's hope so. But we should still be vigilant. Eventually it will happen to us as long as we keep using centralized exchanges.

Light wallets with exchange functionality can't come soon enough. And then we also need decentralized-ish (where counterparty risk is only a subset of the delegates) BTC gateways/bridges.

They definitely lost BTS too.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I can't believe how many people there are supporting rollbacks (even if it's targeted rollbacks to a small set of transactions) in this thread. It completely undermines the blockchain.

Its not BTS, its their BTC.  We should all be okay.

Good, let's hope so. But we should still be vigilant. Eventually it will happen to us as long as we keep using centralized exchanges.

Light wallets with exchange functionality can't come soon enough. And then we also need decentralized-ish (where counterparty risk is only a subset of the delegates) BTC gateways/bridges.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I really did like bter :(

Hopefully some hero will track down the bad guys.  +5%

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Lol it was a noob operation

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Looks like this news has caused btc to start dropping.  I guess the market known 7k is going to be dumped on it probably.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
"Hackers made use of the time we were restocking our hot wallet from cold wallet. They stole all the BTC from the Bter's cold wallet."

That makes no sense. If the cold wallet is exposed when restocking the hot wallet, then it isn't actually a cold wallet. A proper cold wallet requires signing the withdraw transaction on an offline computer, not putting the cold wallet keys on an online computer! SMH

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Holy shit, really bter?  Your cold wallet?

Thank god its not BTS.  "Withdrawals of the unaffected coins will be arranged later". 

If they dont get it back they are insolvent.  If they pay the 720 bounty and manage to get it back somehow they are probably solvent, like after the NXT hack, but I dont trust them anymore.

I'm just heading home but the short version is that on Fri afternoon I was credited/re-credited with BTS & BitUSD on Bter that wasn't mine but was related to amounts I'd deposited in the past. I noticed this on Sat &
wrote a message to Bter and a couple of our developers about the issue. Everything else seems to have transpired since.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Bter is done final fork in central xchanges., long live bts